Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 A good year for baseball?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2012 A good year for baseball?

    Was / Is 2012 a good year for baseball?
    20
    Yes an excellent year
    85.00%
    17
    No a bad year
    0.00%
    0
    Neither good nor bad
    5.00%
    1
    Let's wait until the world series is over
    10.00%
    2

    The poll is expired.

    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

  • #2
    Positives:

    The small market A's and Orioles resurgence

    Buster Posey comes back from a devestating injury

    The Dodgers get new ownership with willingness to invest

    Some great rookies like Trout, Harper and Cespedes

    A maybe triple crown season by Cabrera

    emergence of Chase Headley and (offensively) Yadier Molina

    the wonderful story and season of RA Dickey

    rookie mgr Ventura and pitcher Sales for the Chisox

    Lots of no hitters and perfect games

    Josh H 4 HR in a game

    a great first half by the Pirates
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 10-03-2012, 12:34 AM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Negatves

      Melky Cabrera peds

      A glamour team the Red Sox crash and burn

      Ozzie Guillen (yet again)

      Tim Lincecum's unexpected poor season
      Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 10-03-2012, 12:33 AM.
      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Good thread.

        Overall I liked the 2012 season. It was still a pitching dominated year like the last 2 before also but we did se some impressive hitting too.

        the AL races were all very exiting, even the second WC didn't change that. the NL races on the other hand were all dicided quite early. We also saw some surprise teams. We all expected the nats and to a lesser extend the Os (both have some young talent) to be improved but most thought they were not ready yet. And the As really came from nowhere. Even in the As forum they predicted about 70-75 wins.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

        Comment


        • #5
          Why would Tim Lincecum's poor season diminish the 2012 season at all? - unless someone happens to be a big Tim Lincecum fan. Every year there are great players who have sub-par seasons, and the Giants coasted to a divison win anyway.

          Surprised you didn't mention the Nationals emergence as one of Baseball's premier teams after being an afterthought for so many years.
          My top 10 players:

          1. Babe Ruth
          2. Barry Bonds
          3. Ty Cobb
          4. Ted Williams
          5. Willie Mays
          6. Alex Rodriguez
          7. Hank Aaron
          8. Honus Wagner
          9. Lou Gehrig
          10. Mickey Mantle

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
            Why would Tim Lincecum's poor season diminish the 2012 season at all? - unless someone happens to be a big Tim Lincecum fan. Every year there are great players who have sub-par seasons, and the Giants coasted to a divison win anyway.

            .
            Right - every year has some superstars that have a bad year. Same with Posey - every season has an injured guy who comes back and does really well.

            But the rest of the list was good. Triple Crown, new and exciting teams winning, a bunch of meaningful games down to the wire, Trout, etc. Very good year for baseball.

            And I have to admit, I have loved watching the Red Sox be so bad.
            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

            1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

            1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


            The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
              And I have to admit, I have loved watching the Red Sox be so bad.
              I live in Dunkin' Donuts Land and it's interesting to hear others opinion of the Sox. My support for them has personally diminished ever since around 2007. I would rally in a heartbeat if they changed some of their ways. Maybe my reasons are different than yours. Why do you (and the rest of baseball) dislike the Red Sox? I'm curious.

              2012 was good in terms of the postseason race. It didn't go down to the wire like last year, but it wasn't bad. Lots of new players doing great and some perennial all-stars doing poorly. I missed Mariano Rivera.
              "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

              Comment


              • #8
                delete post

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
                  I live in Dunkin' Donuts Land and it's interesting to hear others opinion of the Sox. My support for them has personally diminished ever since around 2007. I would rally in a heartbeat if they changed some of their ways. Maybe my reasons are different than yours. Why do you (and the rest of baseball) dislike the Red Sox? I'm curious.

                  .
                  Imagine two siblings. An older sibling who gets all the attention, wins all of the awards, and is the favorite of everybody, and a younger, lets say, not as accomplished sibling. Imagine the younger sibling whining and boo-hooing for decades about being picked on and how hard he has it and how much he hates his older brother and how much everybody is out to get him, etc. Then one day, the younger brother finally beats the older brother in a few competitions for the first time and suddenly turns into the most arrogant, prideful, in-your-face, unbearable person ever, becoming entitled and falsely empowered.

                  That is how I see the Reds Sox. I would rather the Yankees win 1,000x over the Red Sox. It is the difference between earned arrogance and phony arrogance.

                  Of course , just like I am talking about on the Wild Card thread, that is a gross generalization of the team and fanbase. I know most Sox fans are great and have had no problems with the classy Sox fans I have encountered here on BBF.
                  1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                  1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                  1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                  The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                  The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                    Why would Tim Lincecum's poor season diminish the 2012 season at all? - unless someone happens to be a big Tim Lincecum fan. Every year there are great players who have sub-par seasons, and the Giants coasted to a divison win anyway.

                    Surprised you didn't mention the Nationals emergence as one of Baseball's premier teams after being an afterthought for so many years.
                    not many 2 time Cy Young Winners (in their first 2 full seasons) fall from grace so quickly, he also started a ASG and was the MVP of the 2010 post season (combined), he did not just have a "sub-par" season he had one of the worst seasons for a starter in recent memory - at one point the worst SP in like the last 100 years until the second half mini resurgence

                    and Posey did not have a normal every day injury - it was devestating and his comeback has been meteoric and he was a rookie C who led the Giants to their first WS win in 56 years, catching and managing a staff that set a ML record going back to 1917

                    PS good point on the Nationals but I created this post after midnite was not 100% coherent
                    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 10-03-2012, 08:42 AM.
                    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                      Negatves

                      Melky Cabrera peds

                      A glamour team the Red Sox crash and burn

                      Ozzie Guillen (yet again)

                      Tim Lincecum's unexpected poor season
                      You forgot the Pirates' second half.
                      "I can see how he won twenty-five games. What I don't understand is how he lost five." - Yogi Berra on Sandy Koufax's 1963 season.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                        Imagine two siblings. An older sibling who gets all the attention, wins all of the awards, and is the favorite of everybody, and a younger, lets say, not as accomplished sibling. Imagine the younger sibling whining and boo-hooing for decades about being picked on and how hard he has it and how much he hates his older brother and how much everybody is out to get him, etc. Then one day, the younger brother finally beats the older brother in a few competitions for the first time and suddenly turns into the most arrogant, prideful, in-your-face, unbearable person ever, becoming entitled and falsely empowered.

                        That is how I see the Reds Sox. I would rather the Yankees win 1,000x over the Red Sox. It is the difference between earned arrogance and phony arrogance.

                        Of course , just like I am talking about on the Wild Card thread, that is a gross generalization of the team and fanbase. I know most Sox fans are great and have had no problems with the classy Sox fans I have encountered here on BBF.
                        I used to like the Red Sox 35 plus years ago, with Fenway and Tiant and rookies Lynn and Rice and the great Fisk etc, I loved their uniform colors and even had a Red Sox hat, the red hat with the navy bill and the cool "B"

                        but when they decided to create the evil empire 2 and just try to outspend every one else also and only won tainted ped infested championships and became media darlings and were always on tv and updates on espn etc I also began to really dislike them, and players like Schilling and Manny and the rest were easy to dislike

                        Schilling and Clemens are 2 of my all time top 5 most hated players

                        Hiring Bobby Valentine was the perfect idiotic move and I saw this disaster coming although of course injuries also played a big part

                        I do not consider their 2 championships legit just like many don't consider Bonds or McGwire or Sosa HR records to be legit
                        Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 10-03-2012, 07:19 AM.
                        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                          I do not consider their 2 championships legit just like many don't consider Bonds or McGwire or Sosa HR records to be legit
                          I doubt any championship the past 20+ years has been 100% clean. And I would predict that from 1995-2005 or so, a majority of players were using. I doubt the 2004 Cardinals or 2007 Rockies were 100% clean either.

                          But yeah on the Valentine hiring.

                          As to the $$$ being spent? If the Cards announced they would be spending a lot more money to improve their team...I would be happy. To complain about other teams doing it would be hypocritical on my part.
                          Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 10-03-2012, 07:28 AM.
                          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                          1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                          1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                          The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            As an Orioles fan, abso-friggin-lutely!

                            As a Marlins fan, not as much (but the new ballpark's cool....)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                              not many 2 time Cy Young Winners (in their first 2 full seasons) fall from grace so quickly, he also started a ASG and was the MVP of the 2010 post season (combined), he did not just have a "sub-par" season he had one of the worst seaopns for starter in recent memory - at one point the worst SP in like the last 100 years until the second half mini resurgence

                              and Posey did not have a normal every day injury - it was devestating and his comeback has been meteoric and he was a rookie C who led the Giants to their first WS win in 56 years, catching and managing a staff that set a ML record going back to 1917

                              PS good point on the Nationals but I created this post after midnite was not 100% coherent
                              Lincecum actually bounced back very well and had a good second half.

                              1st half ERA of 6.42 (by far the worst starter in baseball)
                              2nd half ERA of 3.83

                              So he seems to have gotten over the struggles.
                              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X