Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is WRONG with the 1 game playoff setup in relation to all post season series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the schedules being different for the two teams through 162 games, I don't think I like the idea...
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
      With the schedules being different for the two teams through 162 games, I don't think I like the idea...
      Lets say if the Dodgers this year were to have played much tougher schedule than the Cardinals, hypothetically. Then that unfair scenario is already taking place. SOS has kept many teams out of the postseason.
      Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 10-07-2012, 06:42 AM.
      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

It doesn't make much sense to further complicate the structure for the sake of giving a harder road to one of two WC teams. Schedule differences mean that there is no objective basis for saying one is more deserving than another--except by simply having them play each other. The only essentially objective thing one can say about WC teams is that they have not shown themselves as worthy, in the RS, as their respective division winners. So letting any WC team continue to play at all has to mean conceptually setting aside RS records as fully telling.

If it was somehow desirable to work in another WC qualifying game, you might as well stage it between the "fifth" and "sixth" teams, with the winner moving on to play the "fourth." But the current format seems to meet the need it was designed for, to value divisional championships while yielding a fourth DS team.

The real adjustment that needs to happen is the standardization of intradivisional schedules, which will be easier with the uniformly-sized divisions next year. Not that I'm aware it is a priority for MLB.
        Last edited by Pere; 10-07-2012, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I am finding myself, surprisingly, in favor of this new added Wild Card. I like how one of the two is guaranteed to only play one post-season game, and the other has to win a total of 12 games to win the WS, rather than 11 like everyone else. I like how it makes winning the division much more enticing than settling for the WC. I'd rather eliminate Wild Cards altogether, but this format, with any flaws it may have, is better than the previous WC format.
          San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

I was opposed to the 2nd wild card at first but after seeing the season unfold, I'm now fan. The last three weeks of the season were full of meaningful games and it made following it much more interesting. The one game play-offs were intense - the desperation of the fans and players for Atlantic and Texas as the games went on was palpable.

I may be the only one who likes the 2-3 format. I like how condensed the LDS series are and I appreciate the fact that the team with the worst record faces a tough battle to possibly win the series on the road. If the team with the better record can't at least split the series on the road, they should have to prove they're good enough to move on by winning three straight at home.
            If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Comment

Palpable? I felt as tortured as when the Braves were blowing their lead in 2011. It was awful!
              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                I am finding myself, surprisingly, in favor of this new added Wild Card. I like how one of the two is guaranteed to only play one post-season game, and the other has to win a total of 12 games to win the WS, rather than 11 like everyone else. I like how it makes winning the division much more enticing than settling for the WC. I'd rather eliminate Wild Cards altogether, but this format, with any flaws it may have, is better than the previous WC format.
                I agree. The fact that the Wild Card winners over the past 17 years have had a better mean winning% than the 3rd best division winner made the distinction between WC winner and Division winner pretty meaningless. In over 20% of all possible occasions, the Wild Card team had a better record than two division winners. Though, I do not get too worked up abut the title anyway. I'd rather a 93-win wild card team win than a 81 win Padres or Rangers win.

If I had my first choice, I would have everybody in one 15-team division and the top 3 teams advanced. the top team got a bye and the 2nd and 3rd place teams had a 7-game round to make it to the NLCS. that way we wouldn't have to worry about the distinction between division winner and wild card.

Comment

Top team gets a bye while the other two play up to seven games over presumably 9+ days? Wow. Can't see much support for that, especially from the teams sitting for nearly a week and a half, then hauling cold bats to the plate in game 1.
                  "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Top team gets a bye while the other two play up to seven games over presumably 9+ days? Wow. Can't see much support for that, especially from the teams sitting for nearly a week and a half, then hauling cold bats to the plate in game 1.
                    That should really never be an excuse for a MLB team. If they wanted to, they could face live pitching every day.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
                      That should really never be an excuse for a MLB team. If they wanted to, they could face live pitching every day.
                      Yeah, I never bought in to the "days off, hot/cold" thing. The bye is WAY more valuable than the potential cost of sitting for a week, which could also allow for nursing injuries, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
                        Except it has been noted, by players, that it is something they worry about NOW. When a team starts a Division series before the other series in their league, sweep or win quickly, while the other series goes the distance. Was it the Yankees a few years ago that had to wait a long time for their next series? They don't like having four or five idle days. 10+ would be quite something.

"Live" pitching and game pitching are similar, but not the same thing. Defense, pitchers, could be a slight factor for all.

Comment

Except it has been noted, by players, that it is something they worry about NOW. When a team starts a Division series before the other series in their league, sweep or win quickly, while the other series goes the distance. Was it the Yankees a few years ago that had to wait a long time for their next series? They don't like having four or five idle days. 10+ would be quite something.

"Live" pitching and game pitching are similar, but not the same thing. Defense, pitchers, could be a slight factor for all.
                          Then make it a 3 game series - either way, the bets team get what is due them and the field isn't over-saturated. Even though, I really didn't mind 27% of the league making the postseason. 33% is really pushing it.

Comment

Understood...

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                              Then make it a 3 game series - either way, the bets team get what is due them and the field isn't over-saturated. Even though, I really didn't mind 27% of the league making the postseason. 33% is really pushing it.
                              I prefer the WC round just one game.
                              San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

How about the two wildcard teams play 2 games in 2 days in the following manner:

In the first game, the two teams play 9 innings without the possibility of extra innings.

In the second game, the two teams play 9 innings without extra innings also.

If one team either has two wins, or one win and one tie then that team moves on to the LDS while the other team goes home.

Otherwise the two teams play extra innings with the score reset to 0 to 0 immediately after the second game, and the winner of those extra innings goes to the LDS.

Example:

Rays play the Blue Jays in Toronto in both games since the Blue Jays have the better record.

The Blue Jays win the first game 1 to 0 in 9 innings.

The Rays win the second game 7 to 5 in 9 innings.

Both teams have one win each and have to play extra innings with the score reset to 0 to 0 immediately after the second game.

Rays 0 0 0 2 -- 2
                                Blue Jays 0 0 0 1 -- 1

The Rays win the extra innings 2 to 1 and get to play in the LDS.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X