Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indians to hire Terry Francona

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Indians to hire Terry Francona

    MLBTraderumors has the Cleveland Indians hiring Terry Francona as their new manager. It might be a four year deal.

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...-francona.html
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  • #2
    like it a lot
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      No surprise here. I think (from experience of seeing him) he's a beneficiary of quality stars in his lineup, he'll do fairly well kick-starting the Trive before they kick him to the curb by 2016.
      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
        No surprise here. I think (from experience of seeing him) he's a beneficiary of quality stars in his lineup, he'll do fairly well kick-starting the Trive before they kick him to the curb by 2016.
        Speaking off kicking to the curb, the Red Sox are probably kicking themselves for doing that to Francona.
        Chop! Chop! Chop!

        Comment


        • #5
          The Indians have announced the hiring of Francona and will formally introduce him at a press conference on Monday morning.
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
            The Indians have announced the hiring of Francona and will formally introduce him at a press conference on Monday morning.
            I'm not sure why they fired their last manager, but I wish Francona well. I thought the Red Sox and the Boston press treated him poorly at the end. Evidently Francona's marriage was dissolving, and soon undocumented rumors of substance abuse by Francona were fairly widespread.

            I expect he will be working with a more enlightened front office, and hope he will revert to appearing on the field in a uniform top, as Jim Leyland has done.

            Comment


            • #7
              Much better than hiring Sandy Alomar would have been.

              Comment


              • #8
                Called that one.
                San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

                "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

                "Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

                Comment


                • #9
                  Good appointment for them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'll be curious to see how he does without a top-2 payroll.
                    My top 10 players:

                    1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                      I'll be curious to see how he does without a top-2 payroll.
                      How about a 93 - 69 season within 2 years ?
                      '' Mr. Rickey, do you want a ball player who's afraid to fight back?'' Jackie Robinson

                      '' I want a ball player with guts enough NOT to fight back.'' Branch Rickey

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have something of a grudge with Francona. Five years ago he managed the Red Sox back from a 3-1 deficit against the Indians in the ALCS.

                        The ONLY, I repeat ONLY way I'll forgive him is if he leads the Indians to a World Series title during his tenure. I hope that is not too much to ask.
                        The playoffs should expand eventually, but only if MLB itself expands.

                        See my blog for more info.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PF#9 View Post
                          I have something of a grudge with Francona. Five years ago he managed the Red Sox back from a 3-1 deficit against the Indians in the ALCS.

                          The ONLY, I repeat ONLY way I'll forgive him is if he leads the Indians to a World Series title during his tenure. I hope that is not too much to ask.
                          PF, that 5 years ago post season, he swept my "now" home team the Colorado Rockies in the WS . . . I just wish Jim Tracy had resigned a week earlier to give the Rox a chance to hire him ;-) What's a fan to do? ;-)
                          Some's basturds, some's ain't, thats the score.

                          Comment

                          Ad Widget

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X