No announcement yet.

Washington Nationals vs. San Francisco Giants NLCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears this thread angered the Mocker Gods.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Four in the 9th for the Redbirds!

U N B E L I E V A B L E !!!!!!!
      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Originally posted by brewcrew82 View Post
        It appears this thread angered the Mocker Gods.
        It angered the Baseball gods for sure.
        All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Cards win, what a finish, and now everybody in DC will remember the name Kozma for a while
          Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Matt Kemp, San Diego Padres (August 14, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals 2-0 (October 3, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

Comment

Very disappointed. I was looking forward to Gnats v Nats. Washington blew it, but all credit to the Cards for not giving up!!
            "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Are the Cards this years Cards?

Comment

Told ya. If there's a likable, interesting team out there, the Cardinals will crush them. They have some strange magic on their side that's designed to take the fun out of baseball.

This season's pretty much dead to me now. The only team left in the playoffs that I'd be happy for is the Tigers, and there's no way they're going to win it. I wish I hadn't wasted six months of my life on this.
                Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
                  They have some strange magic on their side that's designed to take the fun out of baseball.

I don't know, I am having a lot of fun.
                  1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                  The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Told ya. If there's a likable, interesting team out there, the Cardinals will crush them. They have some strange magic on their side that's designed to take the fun out of baseball.

This season's pretty much dead to me now. The only team left in the playoffs that I'd be happy for is the Tigers, and there's no way they're going to win it. I wish I hadn't wasted six months of my life on this.
                    Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                    I don't know, I am having a lot of fun.
                    Somebody's jealous. Matthew, I'm having fun too! #12in12 #HappyFlight!
                    Mike Hopper
                    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
                      Somebody's jealous. Matthew, I'm having fun too! #12in12 #HappyFlight!
                      What was I thinking? Watching teams with packed trophy cases add to the pile at the expense of teams without any titles is awesome! Everyone knows that certain franchises are just supposed to win and others are just supposed to lose and we're supposed to see the same results over and over. Nothing beats that kind of excitement, no sir! I haven't felt this kind of thrill since I last watched a rerun of Gilligan's Island!

Have fun knowing that your 88-win team wouldn't even be in the playoffs now if MLB hadn't added a second Wild Card that served no purpose whatsoever. The Cardinals have an unmatched talent for getting every break to go their way. As for me, I'm not going to follow the rest of these playoffs because I know that either the Yankees or the Cardinals is going to hoist the trophy, and that'll be a complete non-story when it happens. I have better things to do than watch another potentially great season circle the drain.
                      Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

What was I thinking? Watching teams with packed trophy cases add to the pile at the expense of teams without any titles is awesome! Everyone knows that certain franchises are just supposed to win and others are just supposed to lose and we're supposed to see the same results over and over. Nothing beats that kind of excitement, no sir! I haven't felt this kind of thrill since I last watched a rerun of Gilligan's Island!

Have fun knowing that your 88-win team wouldn't even be in the playoffs now if MLB hadn't added a second Wild Card that served no purpose whatsoever. The Cardinals have an unmatched talent for getting every break to go their way. As for me, I'm not going to follow the rest of these playoffs because I know that either the Yankees or the Cardinals is going to hoist the trophy, and that'll be a complete non-story when it happens. I have better things to do than watch another potentially great season circle the drain.
                        9 playoff appearances and 7 NLCS appearances in 13 years (8 in 17) doesn't happen just because of breaks. You need to build a very talented team year after year after year for that to happen.

And keep in mind the biggest hose job ever in 1981. Coleman and the tarp? Flood slipping in the OF? Matheny and the butcher knife? Frickin' Don Denkinger? Rolen missing the NLCS in both 2002 and 2005? The Bullpen Phone? No Carp in 2004 and no Wainwright in 2011? Heck, from 1985 to 2005, the Cardinals were eliminated by teams with worse records in 7/8 postseason appearances. 3x by teams with ten or more losses than STL, once by a team with fewer runs scored than runs allowed. These things come full circle.

Not too worried about the 88 wins thing. They are the defending champs, had the second best run differential in the NL, are spilling over with past, present, and future All Stars, and are a much better team than their record indicates.

Enojy watching Gilligan's Island, though.
                        Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 10-13-2012, 12:17 AM.
                        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

The Giants have 5 starters better than any Cardinal starter. This ain't no Brewers, this ain't no Rangers. Giants in 5 . This is big boy ball now.
                          This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                            9 playoff appearances and 7 NLCS appearances in 13 years (8 in 17) doesn't happen just because of breaks. You need to build a very talented team year after year after year for that to happen.

And keep in mind the biggest hose job ever in 1981. Coleman and the tarp? Flood slipping in the OF? Matheny and the butcher knife? Frickin' Don Denkinger? Rolen missing the NLCS in both 2002 and 2005? The Bullpen Phone? No Carp in 2004 and no Wainwright in 2011? Heck, from 1985 to 2005, the Cardinals were eliminated by teams with worse records in 7/8 postseason appearances. 3x by teams with ten or more losses than STL, once by a team with fewer runs scored than runs allowed. These things come full circle.

Not too worried about the 88 wins thing. They are the defending champs, had the second best run differential in the NL, are spilling over with past, present, and future All Stars, and are a much better team than their record indicates.

Enojy watching Gilligan's Island, though.
                            It's incredible to me that Cardinal fans have experienced more good fortune than most fans and yet still find things to complain about. Everyone gets tough breaks sometimes. Does it not make up for it even a little that you have the second-most World Series titles?

Don Denkinger? Big deal. That team won the World Series three years earlier. Curt Flood? Boo hoo, it meant the Cardinals couldn't win their third World Series in five years. We'd be here a long time if we tried to name every instance of a team losing a key starter during or before the playoffs, and I doubt you'd find the Cardinals to have suffered much worse than most teams in that regard. You Cardinal fans need to stop agonizing over the things that didn't go your way and realize that you're among the most fortunate fans in baseball.

I don't care how good they are at putting talent on the field. There's nothing fun about watching a team win whose fans have had it much better than just about everyone else historically and recently. I want the fans in other cities to get their moment to cheer. That's the kind of stuff I watch baseball for. Not this.
                            Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

How do you rank this in Cardinal history. Really it was a great game. I'm shocked by it still. I thought last years Cardinals run was special but this game really has put Cardinals history in a new perspective. I say Yankees vs Cardinals in WS.

I do agree with Ian though on misery. Cardianal fans have gotten a bit cocky. (except for MattC). At the same time MattC is trying to not jinx em though.
                              Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 10-13-2012, 02:54 AM.
                              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Expense? What are you talking about?

You're complaining about expected results, but it seems you're pushing for scripted results that fit your needs of enjoyment.

Blame the Cardinals for MLB adding a second Wild Card? You just looking for a reason to justify your hate for a baseball team?

I'm not even a Cardinals fans. I would have liked to see the Nationals advance, too. It didn't happen, because the Nationals couldn't close the game out. You just want the Cardinals to give up and let them win?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X