Washington Nationals vs. San Francisco Giants NLCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I repeat: isn't the Expos/Nats franchise's 44 years without so much as a World Series appearance, let alone a title, the longest championship drought after the Cubs?
    Yes, I believe you are correct.
    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

This thread might be a bigger fail than the one someone started to say BigMac, hitting coach for the #1 offense in baseball (even after Pujols), would be a horrible hitting coach. Are you guys in training to be ESPN analysts? They must get their morons from somewhere, right?
      Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
      In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

Isn't this thread title the Baseball equivalent of "Dewey defeats Truman"?
        “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
          how irrelevant is it that the National best P did not play
          How irrelevant? Quite a lot actually, but it's another example of your cherry picking minute pieces and making them fit an argument. See the utterly laughable lost above citing a single REGULAR SEASON game resulting in a win for St. L. That was 1/162th of the season, filled with hundreds of "what if's my friend)

Add in the fact that the Nats foolishly chose to shut him down more than a month ago, and the argument "they didnt have Strasbourg!!" is as relevan tas "Wainwright didnt pitch well, what if henthrew a shutout?" ess relevant even. What if Carpenter didnt miss 150 games? Cards get hime field perhaps. If's and butts. At least the Wainwright statment is about a player's capabilities who actually played Starting Strasbourg's season 5 starts later than they did would have resulted in him being available if they make the playoffs, Nd pushin him approx 10 innings beyond what he threw before being shut down the first week of Sept.

the Cards scored 361 runs in road games the Giants 410
          I will say run differential is not as important as some make it out to be...
          I suppose that the road runs scored stats fit your pre-disposed argument do you went with it, even though other facts diminish your statement? That is usually par for the course. So then...

Total season run differential against all teams is overrated but runs scored against those same opponents is a measure separating the two teams? Have Cake and eat it I guess. Did the Giants score 10 runs more times than all but one team in all of MLB, DH or no DH?

Nope, but the Cardinals did. #2 in all of baseball behind only the Rangers, and only by one game. No DH needed I guess. Is that the be all end all of the measure of an offense? Of course not, but at least I dont have a prior post belittling the frequency of posting big numbers in games and now I'm championing it.

I agree that it is a close matchup and respect your observation of the Cards historic record. Misdiagnosis in the large post above is just silly though.

The only reason they won is because of one play, or one pitcher, or another single factor. I love it when you post for our amusement. Well done.
          "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
            Okay, so he didn't play. And you realize that the Cardinals played without without their ace for 150+ games this year, right? And let's also remember the Nationals chose not to use him. It's not like he was hurt or that the Cardinals elected for him to not play.

What?? The Cards didn't get to pick one player on the other team to sit out because the other team was more healthy and won more games during the season or something? You know, like 3rd grade gym class when teams are made even? The Nats Organization CHOSE to do this? He wasn't locked in a cage at the base of the Gateway Arch or something?

If it was by their own hand, it kind of blows the whole "what if" argument away for me.
            "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

I said from the get go the Nats shutting down stras would have playoff implications and i think there are gonna be a lot of questions about that. That series would of been very very different IMHO Had stras been pitching.
              All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                I said from the get go the Nats shutting down stras would have playoff implications and i think there are gonna be a lot of questions about that. That series would of been very very different IMHO Had stras been pitching.

Probably. Not that Lynn is Stras.. but he is an 18 game winner than was moved to the bullpen by the Cards due to him throwing more innings than he ever has before. He was solid in the bullpen and was just named the starter for game 1 of the NLCS.

Perhpas the Nats decision will set a precedent for teams who are protecting young arms. Go ahead and do it... but strongly consider resting your guy EARLY in the season, and therefore have him avaialbe for a possible postseason run WITHOUT throwing more innings than he would by going with the Nats plan - which involves shutting him down about the time that all his fans go back to school.

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                  Probably. Not that Lynn is Stras.. but he is an 18 game winner than was moved to the bullpen by the Cards due to him throwing more innings than he ever has before. He was solid in the bullpen and was just named the starter for game 1 of the NLCS.

Perhpas the Nats decision will set a precedent for teams who are protecting young arms. Go ahead and do it... but strongly consider resting your guy EARLY in the season, and therefore have him avaialbe for a possible postseason run WITHOUT throwing more innings than he would by going with the Nats plan - which involves shutting him down about the time that all his fans go back to school.
                  yes that is the blueprint

Sandy Koufax surely would have lasted longer had he not pitched 300 plus innings 3 times in 4 years
                  1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                  2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                  3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well i understand wanting to protect him but i think you play for the here and now and you don't take your Ace out and call it good and think you are going to be perfectly alright.

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                      Well i understand wanting to protect him but i think you play for the here and now and you don't take your Ace out and call it good and think you are going to be perfectly alright.
                      So what are you saying?

You agree with how the Nats handled it? Shutting him down first week of Sept? You would consider doing something else?

Comment

So what are you saying?

You agree with how the Nats handled it? Shutting him down first week of Sept? You would consider doing something else?
                        No i am saying they should of had him skip a start every so often in the beginning of the season so you have him in the postseason.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X