• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickname for the 2012 World Series

most world series have an establish nickname like
    "2000 subway series" "1944 trolley series" "1985 I-70 show-me series"

for some the press or MLB makes up a nickname
    like the 2009 world series MLB called it the "liberty series" the press called it the "turnpike series"

2010,2011 world series were not given nickname
    what would be a good nickname for the 2012 world series

no poll, just list your picks

my would be the "orange and black series" giants home and tiger away colors
    other names
    "the 2012 all-star game repeat series", as the key players in the ASG were the tigers and giants
    "the chinesse characters world series"/kung fu panda world series" a kung fu panda against the tigers
    sigpic

Halloween Series! The pumpkin orange and darkness black is obviously Halloween colors!
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
      Halloween Series! The pumpkin orange and darkness black is obviously Halloween colors!
      I absolutely agree! Orange and Black will be good till the end of the month.
      Some's basturds, some's ain't, thats the score.

Comment

Aren't the Tigers colors orange and dark, navy blue?
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
          That's what I've always thought.
          Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

The obesity series. So far, Sandoval is getting the best of Fielder.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I never cared for forced nicknames of Series. I can deal with the Subway Series from the past, but I don't like it used today. There has to be a tangible and unique reason to give a Series a name, not just because we-need-to-give-it-a-name.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post

Navy blue is a very dark shade of the color blue which almost appears as black
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_blue

these uniforms (I wore both in my 21 years u.s. navy career)
                are call "navy blue" but are actually "black"
                and appears black to the eye

navy blue is one of the colors of the detroit tigers uniform (navy blue,white and orange)

along with many other teams (yankees) in all sports

s.f. giants colors are black,orange and cream
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drdg View Post
                  Navy blue is a very dark shade of the color blue which almost appears as black
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_blue

these uniforms (I wore both in my 21 years u.s. navy career)
                  are call "navy blue" but are actually "black"
                  and appears black to the eye

navy blue is one of the colors of the detroit tigers uniform (navy blue,white and orange)

along with many other teams (yankees) in all sports

s.f. giants colors are black,orange and cream
                  So after the long color tutorial, we can agree that the Tigers colors are not truly black and orange.
                  In fact, in a ESPN photo with Leyland standing next to Bochy, you can see a very clear difference between the Tiger Navy blue and Giant black.
                  Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 10-25-2012, 08:06 AM.
                  1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                  The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

[QUOTE=dgarza;2080546]
                    I never cared for forced nicknames of Series.
                    I can deal with the Subway Series from the past,
                    but I don't like it used today.
                    __________________________________________________ __________________

subway series applied in the past,it applys today in 2012 and will for the future

this guy like you DID NOT like nor care for the nickname panda
                    but after he embrace it, look what happen

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
                    There has to be a tangible and unique reason to give a Series a name,

oh this is very real and one of a kind

and so is this
                    as a poster above mention

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

not just because we-need-to-give-it-a-name.

if it wasn't for we, this is what baseball uniforms would look like

their name is NOT herbalife,

like I said above, the press, and MLB comes out with these nicknames
                    and where do you think they get it from
                    they get from WE the fans

this is a good article on why we need to give it a nickname
                    to a series or to any-one
                    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Sports/...ther-nicknames

if the panda continues with his terror,and the giants win this world series
                    this series will FOREVER be know as the panda series
                    and pablo just got another nickname that he will probably be remember forever
                    "Señor Octubre,”
                    sigpic

Comment

subway series applied in the past,it applys today in 2012 and will for the future

It doesn't matter if subways exist or not. The name Subway Series is forced when people are always looking for it. It's not about whether the name is true or not. I'd rather see the names develop more naturally. I want something to develop and stick; not something that stuck once, so let's try to make it stick again.
                      Last edited by dgarza; 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

like I said above, the press, and MLB comes out with these nicknames
                        and where do you think they get it from
                        they get from WE the fans
                        Nicknames often come from just 1 person, either a sportswriter, Charlie Finley, a teammate, a family member from early on, a wiseguy in the MLB marketing dept... Sometime they come from the fans in general too, but usually the fans just pick up on something already developing.

this is a good article on why we need to give it a nickname
                        to a series or to any-one
                        http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Sports/...ther-nicknames
                        This article says nothing about why we need to give any series a nickname.

The 1975 WS.... The 1986 WS... these really have not needed nicknames...

Comment

World Series nicknames only show up when they're needed. Meaning:

- Subway Series, because you can take the NYC subway to get from Yankees to Mets games and vice versa.

- Bay Area Series, Athletics/Giants (obvious reasons).

- Freeway Series, if there ever is one, between Angels and Dodgers (freeway refers to Interstate 5 between Angel Stadium and Dodger Stadium).

- If there's ever a Cubs/Whitesox WS, there'll be a nickname for that too. I don't know what they would call it though. Red Line Series?

But otherwise, no. It's all in the same city, or general area, when things like this happen.
                          Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 10-25-2012, 10:28 AM.
                          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

most world series have an establish nickname like
                            "2000 subway series" "1944 trolley series" "1985 I-70 show-me series"

for some the press or MLB makes up a nickname
                            like the 2009 world series MLB called it the "liberty series" the press called it the "turnpike series"

2010,2011 world series were not given nickname
                            what would be a good nickname for the 2012 world series

no poll, just list your picks

my would be the "orange and black series" giants home and tiger away colors
                            other names
                            "the 2012 all-star game repeat series", as the key players in the ASG were the tigers and giants
                            "the chinesse characters world series"/kung fu panda world series" a kung fu panda against the tigers
                            It was my interpretation that the original poster was meaning the Giants and Tigers colors are very similar (Tigers dark blue v. Giants black very similar, nit picky) and the fact that halloween is at the end of October . . .well? . .. At least that is the way I interpreted it . . . and I don't think a series name must be a regional oriented. IMHO.

I like Halloween Series 2012 . . . it won't catch, but don't matter, I'll always call it that. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
                              World Series nicknames only show up when they're needed. Meaning:

- Subway Series, because you can take the NYC subway to get from Yankees to Mets games and vice versa.

- Bay Area Series, Athletics/Giants (obvious reasons).

- Freeway Series, if there ever is one, between Angels and Dodgers (freeway refers to Interstate 5 between Angel Stadium and Dodger Stadium).

- If there's ever a Cubs/Whitesox WS, there'll be a nickname for that too. I don't know what they would call it though. Red Line Series?

But otherwise, no. It's all in the same city, or general area, when things like this happen.
                              Lazer, don't forget the I-70 Series of 1985 . . . St. Louis Cards vs. Kansas City Royals . . . I know, it was regional ;-)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X