X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tadasimha
    replied
    Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
    .525 ball isn't exactly scorching, but 9 straight years on top? You can't ignore that... Pretty solid, and certainly the better league.
    It's going to be interesting to see what having the Astros, a team with a recent history of poor play, does to change the balance in interleague play. It's possible it might not have an effect at all, it might also level the field.

Leave a comment:

• abolishthedh
    replied
    The NL's good fortune in recent years can be traced directly to the renewed emphasis on pitching. Whether it has been a result of testing for PEDs or not, once pitchers reestablish the old mantra that good pitching stops good hitting, then the mantra will be evident in the postseason as well as the regular season.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    Considering the whole league the AL certainly was stronger. but don't forget that the NL really had a lot of poor teams over the last decade. the AL had some weak teams too but not as many and rarely as bad as the NL (which also has 2 teams more). The AL is generally more balanced often with 3 teams per division being in contention. the have an occasional 100 loss team too but in the NL it's nearly standard for a last place team to lose 100.

I guess if you just compare IL games of top5 teams in that given year the IL record might not be as brutal (but I don't really know).
    Last edited by milladrive; 10-28-2012, 12:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StanTheMan
    replied
    .525 ball isn't exactly scorching, but 9 straight years on top? You can't ignore that... Pretty solid, and certainly the better league.

Leave a comment:

• ipitch
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    All-time .525 - dominant? Not in my book.

This year - .559 - ok, pretty good
    2011 - .520 (10 games over .500) - dominant? No
    2010 - .532 - I wouldn't call that dominant
    2009 - .534 - not exactly dominant either

If you want to say they dominate, I'd say the W% better be over .600. Being between 10-30 games over .500 out of 250 doesn't scream domination to me.

Yes, the AL wins more than they lose, but ultimately the goal isn't to have more regular season wins (or even more all-star wins).
    Well, you have very high standards if it takes .600 to be dominant. Only 1 out of the last 10 teams in the World Series won 60% of their regular season games.

The AL has beaten the NL in interleague play for 9 straight years. If the Giants beat the Yankees 9 straight games (no matter what the scores were), wouldn't you say they have dominated the Yankees?

Leave a comment:

• Rich the Giants fan
    replied
    Originally posted by ipitch View Post
    No matter who wins, the AL is still quite dominant due to how the AL dominates interleague play. A sample size of seven games between just two teams is quite meaningless. The "superiority of the AL" doesn't mean that the ALCS winner is better than the NLCS winner - it just means that overall the AL is better than the NL.
    All-time .525 - dominant? Not in my book.

This year - .559 - ok, pretty good
    2011 - .520 (10 games over .500) - dominant? No
    2010 - .532 - I wouldn't call that dominant
    2009 - .534 - not exactly dominant either

If you want to say they dominate, I'd say the W% better be over .600. Being between 10-30 games over .500 out of 250 doesn't scream domination to me.

Yes, the AL wins more than they lose, but ultimately the goal isn't to have more regular season wins (or even more all-star wins).

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Actually the NL won four straight World Series from 1979-1982. The Pirates won in 1979.
    I missed that.

but still my statement is correct

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Actually the NL won four straight World Series from 1979-1982. The Pirates won in 1979.

Leave a comment:

• ipitch
    replied
    Originally posted by dominik View Post
    very surprising considering anyone was talking about the superiority of the AL during the 2000s.
    No matter who wins, the AL is still quite dominant due to how the AL dominates interleague play. A sample size of seven games between just two teams is quite meaningless. The "superiority of the AL" doesn't mean that the ALCS winner is better than the NLCS winner - it just means that overall the AL is better than the NL.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    the NL has also won 3 straight ASG after losing 13 in a row

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    started a topic this could be the first...

this could be the first...

...time in 30 years that the MLB champion comes out of the NL 3 times in a row. last time was in 1982 (cards won after dodgers and phillies).
    in the same time frame the AL did the threepeat 3 times.

very surprising considering anyone was talking about the superiority of the AL during the 2000s. of course I know that the series is far from over and even if the giants win it is still just 3 short series. but still amazing how rare the threepeat of the NL is (well actually the chance is 12.5% given a 50-50 matchup but still the AL threepeats beat that by a lot over the last 30 years).

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X