2012 National League MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 National League MVP

Is anyone challenging McCutchen right now? His numbers are unbelievable.

Ryan Braun is having another sensational season, but his Brewers are in 4th place so he's out of the picture. Same goes for David Wright, who's production has slipped dramatically over the past few weeks as the Mets went into their tailspin.

If Pittsburgh falls out of the race, does he still win it? If McCutchen gets injured or has a precipitous drop in production over the last 2 months, a sleeper candidate might be Buster Posey of the Giants. This season he has quietly become the NL's version of Joe Mauer.

Posey his hitting .328/.394/.542 for an OPS+ of 166. Pretty amazing for a catcher. Barring injury he should be a lock for around 25 homers and over 100 RBI. Plus he's an excellent defensive catcher.

Posey probably won't win it this year - It's McCutchen's to lose - but the kid may have an MVP award in the near future. He's only 25.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

McCutcheon easily

since the ASG in 22 games Posey is hitting .448 with 8 HR and 30 RBI with an OBP of .495 and a SA of .805
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
      McCutcheon easily

since the ASG in 22 games Posey is hitting .448 with 8 HR and 30 RBI with an OBP of .495 and a SA of .805
      McCutcheon is definitely the frontrunner now without question.

Votto was right there before missing a month.
      Melky and Posey will garner some votes if SF makes the playoffs even though I am not sure if Melky will end with good enough numbers.
      Matt Holliday is another guy who could challenge McCutcheon if he continues to rake and the Cards make the postseason.
      Wright is having an MVP year statistically, but will not gt many votes.
      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Right now, McCutcheon is to the Pirates what Yaz was to the Red Sox in '67.

Comment

It's McCutchen's to lose, but Posey is coming up hard behind him. MVP's are won and lost, most often, in September.
          San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
            It's McCutchen's to lose, but Posey is coming up hard behind him. MVP's are won and lost, most often, in September.
            True, yet somehow Josh Hamilton managed to win it a couple years ago without even playing in September
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

yes. however catchers often do get snubbed because voters like speed. they ignore how hard playing catcher is and just see a plodding guy on the bases.
              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                yes. however catchers often do get snubbed because voters like speed. they ignore how hard playing catcher is and just see a plodding guy on the bases.
                In the last 50-60 years it seems catchers only win the MVP when they put up historic hitting seasons for a catcher. Even then, that is not a guarantee as Mike Piazza can attest to.
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

There's also a good chance that Melky will split out some of Buster's votes.
                  "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

McCutchen will have trouble getting to 100 RBIs. Will that hurt him?
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Does Votto have a chance if he returns and goes back to tearing the cover off the ball? Or does the Reds' perfomance in his absence really hurt his chances regardless of how he does?
                      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

It'll be between Melky Cabrera, and Andrew McCutchen.

It'll always be too early to call until the last week of the season. You never know who will heat up or cool down until then. But as of now I'd pick Andrew McCutchen.
                        My Twitter: https://twitter.com/MrBaseball91

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                          There's also a good chance that Melky will split out some of Buster's votes.
                          Melky's been very good, but anyone who knows the Giants knows Buster's been the team's MVP.
                          San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Melky's been very good, but anyone who knows the Giants knows Buster's been the team's MVP.
                            Buster is Da Man!!!!

Buster+Posey+San+Francisco+Giants+v+Texas+GSLb7cb3KI0l.jpg
                            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                              McCutchen will have trouble getting to 100 RBIs. Will that hurt him?
                              It didn't hurt Rollins or Mauer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X