Torii Hunter heading to Detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torii Hunter heading to Detroit

Not such an impacting move as it would have been a few years ago. Hunter is now 37, so his upside is fairly limited I'd say. Still not a bad move to add some depth.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...rs-source-says
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

I think they paid far too much for him.
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

It's a lot of money, but the #2 spot in the Tigers batting order was pretty brutal.

.257/.313/.397

Torii's average the past three seasons:

.285/351/.448

That's a good size upgrade. Add in Victor Martinez to the order, and they'll likely have .350+ OBP from 1-5 in their order.
      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
        I think they paid far too much for him.
        Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
        It's a lot of money, but the #2 spot in the Tigers batting order was pretty brutal.

.257/.313/.397

.285/351/.448
        And .313/.365/.451 this year, so I think he'll still be a productive player for a year or two.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
          And .313/.365/.451 this year, so I think he'll still be a productive player for a year or two.
          Exactly. And while he's not that 25/25-type player anymore, his pitch recognition seems to have gotten better during his 30s. But naturally, there's an inherant risk - especially with somebody who's 37. I saw it first hand with Raul Ibanez when he signed here in Philly. Then again, I thought 3 years was too long at the time. A 2-year deal is much easier to get out from under if necessary.
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

As a Twins' fan, I only wish Hunter the best. He was a great centerfielder in his day. I think he will have 2 good hitting seasons in the more offensive friendly Detroit park

Comment

Everything I've heard and read about Torii has been super-positive as so far as his makeup, demeanor and professionalism. He seems like a true stand up guy and should mesh well in any locker room. He seems like a real class act and I'm happy for him.

Comment

To everyone who's saying the Tigers overpaid, remember this is the same owner who gave morbidly obese Prince Fielder $214 million. The man is in his 80's and just wants to bring a WS title to Detroit before he dies and money is not an object
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Everything I've heard and read about Torii has been super-positive as so far as his makeup, demeanor and professionalism. He seems like a true stand up guy and should mesh well in any locker room. He seems like a real class act and I'm happy for him.
                  Class act? No. I lost all respect for him when he made that comment a few years ago that dark-skinned latinos like Vlad Guerrero are "impostors" and cheap immitations of african americans.
                  My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                  2. Barry Bonds
                  3. Ty Cobb
                  4. Ted Williams
                  5. Willie Mays
                  6. Alex Rodriguez
                  7. Hank Aaron
                  8. Honus Wagner
                  9. Lou Gehrig
                  10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                    Class act? No. I lost all respect for him when he made that comment a few years ago that dark-skinned latinos like Vlad Guerrero are "impostors" and cheap immitations of african americans.
                    Link?.............

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

.257/.313/.397

.285/351/.448

That's a good size upgrade. Add in Victor Martinez to the order, and they'll likely have .350+ OBP from 1-5 in their order.
                      Didn't Ryan Raburn start out in the 2-hole? Talk about an awful year... yikes!
                      WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                        I remember that...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel..._b_494365.html
                        WAR? Prove it!

Comment

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
                          Thats kind of surprising he has always acted great and always is friendly when i saw him down here for games.

Comment

Originally posted by pheasant View Post
                            As a Twins' fan, I only wish Hunter the best. He was a great centerfielder in his day. I think he will have 2 good hitting seasons in the more offensive friendly Detroit park
                            I always thought Comerica Park was very pitcher-friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoltan View Post
                              I always thought Comerica Park was very pitcher-friendly.
                              Comerica park is a hitters' park(slightly). But compared to the Angels' park, it's very offensive.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X