Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom Dreamer
    replied
    The Dodgers deal with Time Warner is probably the biggest story this offseason, because it will affect you whether you watch baseball or sports in general or not. The rising costs of sports programming is unbelievable.

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    Dodgers/TWC reportedly a done deal $$$$$$$$$$$$

Looks like FOX is out

Dodgers will have their own channel in partnership with Time Warner Cable

Deal is for 20 years $7-8 Billion...that's about $375,000,000 per year.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2013/1/25/39...ntract-network

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Braves really need great scouts and a decent farm system because their TV deal screws them big time.

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    A lot of teams have deals that expire in the next 3-4 years. It will be interesting to see what revenues the next round of deals are made for these clubs.

I had no idea the Cardinals contract brings them only $14M per season...and they're locked into it through 2017.

Leave a comment:

• RaysFan_98
    replied
    Rays need to re-do there deal 20 a year seems like a rip off.

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
    Would love to see the list of how much each team makes from their TV contract.
    Found it.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-tv-landscape/

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied

like I previously posted, I heard on the radio that the TV contract alone brings in more revenue for LA than every other team's TOTAL revenue except the Yankees Red Sox and Cubs

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    just curious if the luxury tax kicks in - I really don't know the parameters of that or how it works

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    This is a level of trash talk we DO NOT do on this site. Save it for other sites, folks.

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    I wonder though...if this deal gets done--say for $6 Billion--how would the yearly payments be spread out? The average yearly sum would be $240,000,000, but I would think that the payment would be incremental over time. I doubt the Dodgers would get that much right away. It would probably, I would assume, start off with maybe $180M the first year and wind up around $300M by 2038.

And who knows. By '38 $300,000,000 may be chump change for a TV contract.

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    The Angels and Rangers get around $150M per year.

Leave a comment:

• UnderPressure
    replied
    Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...news-for-reds/

The scariest news for the Reds this weekend wasn’t that Ryan Madson is being courted by the Los Angeles Angels. You can find a closer elsewhere.

The scariest news came out of L.A. proper. deadline.com reported that the Dodgers and Fox are close to agreeing on a 25-year television deal that will be worth between $6 and $7 billion. That’s more than problematic to clubs like the Reds.

If the deals worth $6 billion, it will pay the Dodgers $240,000 million a year. If the it’s worth $7 billion, it will pay the Dodgers $280,000 million a year.

The Reds total revenue — tickets sold, concessions, advertising, TV-radio rights, parking, everything — was right around $170 million for 2011. So the Dodgers will have $70 million to $110 million more to spend than the Reds before selling a ticket or a hot dog.

The L.A.’s old contract with Fox paid $40 million a year. The new contract is part of a trend of big market clubs getting super lucrative deals. Angels and Rangers cashed in last year to the tune of about $150,000 per year. Not coincidentally, they were big spenders in free agency.

In order to compete, the Reds are going to have keep cranking out homegrown players.

The Reds current deal runs through the 2016 season. There’s surely going to do better than they currently do — it’s believed they get about $10 million a year — but they still won’t be in the same stratosphere as the Dodgers or the Angels or the Rangers.

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    Dodger deal bad news for Reds

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...news-for-reds/

The scariest news for the Reds this weekend wasn’t that Ryan Madson is being courted by the Los Angeles Angels. You can find a closer elsewhere.

The scariest news came out of L.A. proper. deadline.com reported that the Dodgers and Fox are close to agreeing on a 25-year television deal that will be worth between $6 and $7 billion. That’s more than problematic to clubs like the Reds.

If the deals worth $6 billion, it will pay the Dodgers $240,000 million a year. If the it’s worth $7 billion, it will pay the Dodgers $280,000 million a year.

The Reds total revenue — tickets sold, concessions, advertising, TV-radio rights, parking, everything — was right around $170 million for 2011. So the Dodgers will have $70 million to $110 million more to spend than the Reds before selling a ticket or a hot dog.

The L.A.’s old contract with Fox paid $40 million a year. The new contract is part of a trend of big market clubs getting super lucrative deals. Angels and Rangers cashed in last year to the tune of about $150,000 per year. Not coincidentally, they were big spenders in free agency.

In order to compete, the Reds are going to have keep cranking out homegrown players.

The Reds current deal runs through the 2016 season. There’s surely going to do better than they currently do — it’s believed they get about $10 million a year — but they still won’t be in the same stratosphere as the Dodgers or the Angels or the Rangers.

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    Dodgers president: 'We'll worry about (payroll) later'

9:24PM EST November 27. 2012 -

The Los Angeles Dodgers, on the verge of signing a TV deal that could be worth $5 billion to $7 billion, have become the new New York Yankees.

The Yankees, who sold 49% of their YES Network for $3 billion, have become the old Dodgers.

It's a crazy new world in baseball, with the Yankees going budget and getting their band back together with the expected signings of pitchers Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera this week for less than $25 million. Meanwhile, the Dodgers are mulling signing two free agent starting pitchers, including prized Zack Greinke, moves that could add another $250million to future payrolls.

The Dodgers, sold for a record $2.15 billion in April, have added nearly $300 million worth of players in the last six months. They had a $90 million opening-day payroll a year ago but have $181 million in salary commitments for 2013.

"I am focusing on building the best team we can be,'' Dodgers President Stan Kasten told USA TODAY Sports, "and where exactly the payroll will be, we'll worry about that later. This particular phase we're in is building and returning the Dodgers to greatness.

"Eventually we want to return to the Dodger roots of (player development), but we're not there yet.''

In the meantime, the Dodgers will be in on every marquee free agent, letting the Yankees worry about the possible luxury-tax ramifications. New York wants its payroll to be below $189million by 2014.

"We're not trying to invent something new here,'' Kasten says. "We're just trying to be the old Dodgers.''

The Dodgers and Fox Sports could soon finalize a 25-year contract worth about $6 billion, two television executives familiar with the negotiations told USA TODAY Sports. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the talks were ongoing. Issues include how much money will be paid upfront and how much equity the Dodgers will have in the network.

"Whatever the figure is won't surprise me,'' said Chris Bevilacqua, a sports industry executive who has assisted major league teams and college conferences with TV deals. "The numbers may sound crazy, but for a $150 billion to $160 billion industry they make a lot of sense.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...einke/1730709/

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
    I don't think he is arguing that point merely saying Hobbs has hijacked/Trolled another thread.
    Oh, I know. I was agreeing with him.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X