Top GMs in the Majors: #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its between Beane and Schureholtz
    Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Matt Kemp, San Diego Padres (August 14, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals 2-0 (October 3, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
      Sure is.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
        Every year it seems Like Oakland is going to have to rebuild, and every year they find a way to win. Unlike the Braves, who (not including the last two years) always seem to have the team to beat. What Schureholtz and company did in '05 with that group of youngsters was amazing though. It is a tough call between the two. Schureholtz has been doing it for quite a long time.
        "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

I love GM discussions, mostly because they all have different strengths and weaknesses and work in different contexts.

For example, Terry Ryan's Twins do an excellent job at finding young talent and usually do a good job of letting it play. He avoids wasting money on overpriced, studs. However, he does tend to waste money on overpriced scrubs, and some young guys get yanked around undeservedly -- Bartlett, Johan at first, Cuddyer, etc.

Brian Sabean loves the veterans, but somehow finds the ones that aren't washed up, unlike the bad GMs -- Vizquel, Durham, Alou come quickly to mind. He seems to embrace young pitching more than young hitting, too.

Of the GMs without any votes so far, I'd pick out Dombrowski as most deserving. Although, to be honest, I'm not up on GMs as much as I am players.
          Beyond The Boxscore (still with some lime)

Comment

The top three IMO. Beane/Schuerholz and Jockety.
            Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
            In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X