Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cardsfanatic
    replied
    The top three IMO. Beane/Schuerholz and Jockety.

Leave a comment:

• skyking162
    replied
    I love GM discussions, mostly because they all have different strengths and weaknesses and work in different contexts.

For example, Terry Ryan's Twins do an excellent job at finding young talent and usually do a good job of letting it play. He avoids wasting money on overpriced, studs. However, he does tend to waste money on overpriced scrubs, and some young guys get yanked around undeservedly -- Bartlett, Johan at first, Cuddyer, etc.

Brian Sabean loves the veterans, but somehow finds the ones that aren't washed up, unlike the bad GMs -- Vizquel, Durham, Alou come quickly to mind. He seems to embrace young pitching more than young hitting, too.

Of the GMs without any votes so far, I'd pick out Dombrowski as most deserving. Although, to be honest, I'm not up on GMs as much as I am players.

Leave a comment:

• maximum jack
    replied
    Originally posted by geezer
    Its between Beane and Schureholtz
    Every year it seems Like Oakland is going to have to rebuild, and every year they find a way to win. Unlike the Braves, who (not including the last two years) always seem to have the team to beat. What Schureholtz and company did in '05 with that group of youngsters was amazing though. It is a tough call between the two. Schureholtz has been doing it for quite a long time.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Originally posted by geezer
    Sure is.

Leave a comment:

• geezer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• W_Marone
    replied
    ED WADE, oops sorry, I forgot Ed, youre not here anymore. Thanks for nothin buddy.

Just felt like ressurecting an old thread.

Leave a comment:

• Kastofsna
    replied
    I did a completely unhomer pick and picked Chuck Lamar! I mean, he got Scotty Kazmir for Zambrano!! And Hendrickson for Kennedy! And for the most important thing of all: he REFUSES to trade the great young prospects that the Rays have! And there are a ton of them, but he won't give them up for anything less than pure gold! The Cubs wanted Aubrey Huff, and Lamar said "How about Carlos Zambrano and a few minor leaguers?" He's guarding these kids like a mother bear protecting her cubs!

Leave a comment:

• rockin500
    replied
    hendry is my #2, but yes he has made some GM's look stupid themselves. i am holding a closer against him however, so he cant get my #1 (plus billy beane seems to make the perfect moves every year)

Leave a comment:

• burger eater
    replied
    Yes, he made that trade.

Leave a comment:

• mojorisin71
    replied
    Was Hendry the GM when the Cubs suckered the Dodgers into getting Todd Hundley for Grudzielanek and Karros?

Leave a comment:

• ndistops
    replied
    Hendry's ability to get other teams to screw themselves is remarkable. We traded (basically) Bobby Hill for Aramis Ramirez. A simply unbelievable move. Partially motivated by payroll of course, but no one else went to make that move. Also trading a minor league pitcher and Alex Gonzalez for Nomar. Ridiculous moves that Hendry makes sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• Hammerin Hank
    replied
    Originally posted by akbravesfan
    actually, the twins gm has done the same thing. maybe its the division, but i don't think so. i think his name is terry ryan, so that's who i voted for. if i'm wrong... well, then change my vote to the gm of the twins.
    It is Ryan.

Leave a comment:

• Zito75
    replied
    Billy Beane. Take it to the bank.....

Leave a comment:

• akbravesfan
    replied
    actually, the twins gm has done the same thing. maybe its the division, but i don't think so. i think his name is terry ryan, so that's who i voted for. if i'm wrong... well, then change my vote to the gm of the twins.

Leave a comment:

• Hammerin Hank
    replied
    In my opinion, it has to be Beane. No one else has been that successful with a payroll so relatively small to work with.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X