Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Players In The Game

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Players In The Game

    I have not seen a recent thread about this, and now that the post-season is over, it seems a good time to survey who we think are the best players in the game.

    I don't think it's just who did best in 2012, but that, of course, has a large impact on who we think are among the best. Myself, I like to look at the current year as well as recent years. I like players with a strong track record, not just possible flukes (both up and down).

  • #2
    1. Justin Verlander
    2. Miguel Cabrera
    These 2 are pretty definite for me. Over the last 2-3 years, these guys have been brilliant.
    -------------------
    3. Clayton Kershaw - The next best pitcher
    -------------------
    Sizable gap after Kershaw, but my next best are:
    4. Johnny Cueto
    5. Ryan Braun
    6. Roy Halladay - despite a good start to 2012, it ended up being a disappointing season, but I think he can still be considered among the best... for now. 2013 may prove me wrong...
    7. Joey Votto
    ------------------
    8. Buster Posey - 2012 was his 1st really full and really big season
    9. Mike Trout - a helluva 2012. 2011 doesn't help his case. But we will see what we really got in 2013....
    10. Jose Bautista - a little bit off in 2012, but he's still a really good slugger
    -----------------
    HM. Robinson Cano - perhaps he's better than HM
    HM . David Price

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dgarza View Post
      1. Justin Verlander
      2. Miguel Cabrera
      These 2 are pretty definite for me. Over the last 2-3 years, these guys have been brilliant.
      -------------------
      3. Clayton Kershaw - The next best pitcher
      -------------------
      Sizable gap after Kershaw, but my next best are:
      4. Johnny Cueto
      5. Ryan Braun
      6. Roy Halladay - despite a good start to 2012, it ended up being a disappointing season, but I think he can still be considered among the best... for now. 2013 may prove me wrong...
      7. Joey Votto
      ------------------
      8. Buster Posey - 2012 was his 1st really full and really big season
      9. Mike Trout - a helluva 2012. 2011 doesn't help his case. But we will see what we really got in 2013....
      10. Jose Bautista - a little bit off in 2012, but he's still a really good slugger
      -----------------
      HM. Robinson Cano - perhaps he's better than HM
      HM . David Price
      Not a bad list. Kemp has to be in here somewhere, however. Also to be considered: Pujols, Molina, Holliday, Fielder, Wright, Longoria, Gio Gonzalez, Mauer, Beltre, Hamilton, Hamels.

      Mccutchen has to be above a guy like Trout, because he is more proven.
      Last edited by willshad; 12-01-2012, 12:39 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd say Robinson Cano should be higher than honorable mention--he does have the most WAR since 2010, after all. Adrian Beltre should get some consideration due to his recent climb these past few years.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
          I'd say Robinson Cano should be higher than honorable mention
          I agree, he is one of the first guys I thought of when I saw this thread, his 2012 postseason performance notwithstanding.

          Comment


          • #6
            Best current player at each position:

            SP: Verlander (with lots of runners-up, including Kershaw and Price. And honestly, you still need to leave CC up there imo, since he does it year after year even if '12 was an off year)
            RP: Kimbrel (but be wary of early flameout)
            C: Posey
            1B: it's still Pujols (but Votto not far behind)
            2B: Cano
            SS: Elvis, until Tulo can prove he can stay healthy. Or is it still Reyes? I have my doubts, I think he's slowing down already.
            3B: David Wright, with Beltre right behind him if he can keep it up. Cabrera's not an established 3B to me.
            LF: Braun
            CF: It's still Kemp till further notice
            RF: Bautista
            DH: Cabrera ('cause you've got to put him somewhere, and that's where he's gonna end up soon enough anyway, so might as well beat the rush).
            Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

            1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
              I'd say Robinson Cano should be higher than honorable mention--he does have the most WAR since 2010, after all. Adrian Beltre should get some consideration due to his recent climb these past few years.
              Perhaps I'm selling a few short.

              Here's some WAR averages for thought...


              162 Game WAR, 2010-2012
              Evan Longoria - 7.8
              Adrian Beltre - 7.4
              Robinson Cano - 7.2
              Joey Votto - 7.1
              Jose Bautista - 7.1
              Miguel Cabrera - 7.0
              Ryan Braun - 7.0
              Dustin Pedroia - 6.7
              Troy Tulowitzki - 6.6
              Buster Posey - 6.6
              Chase Utley - 6.6
              Ben Zobrist - 6.4
              Josh Hamilton - 6.2
              Albert Pujols - 6.0
              Andrew McCutchen - 5.5

              Comment


              • #8
                My best players by position First and Second Team:

                First Team:
                C- Buster Posey
                1B- Joey Votto
                2B- Robinson Cano
                3B- Evan Longoria (Sorry, Miggy)
                SS- Troy Tulowitzki
                LF- Ryan Braun
                CF- Matt Kemp (Depends how Trouty looks in '13)
                RF- Jose Bautista
                DH- Miguel Cabrera

                SP- Verlander
                SP- Kershaw
                SP- Halladay

                CP- Craig Kimbrel
                Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

                Comment


                • #9
                  similar to the baseball writers (BBWA) voting for the MVP
                  who is the best player in the game is open to interpretation

                  is the best player, the player with the top individual numbers such as winning the triple crown

                  or is the best player, the player that time and time again
                  has such an impact on the teams wins/losses that his presence in the lineup carries that team to the playoff
                  the one player that if he were to get hurt, the team can no longer manage to win games

                  your first two listed are triple crown winners
                  okay for personal best

                  but my picks are:

                  1) Derek Jeter
                  without his leadership in the game the yankees couldn't win
                  2) Mariano Rivera
                  what is there to say, simply the BEST in both the regular season and post season
                  3) C. C. Sabatia
                  he carried the brewers and yankees to the playoff
                  4) Cecil fielder
                  without him, I don't think the tigers make it to the WS
                  5)Albert Pujol
                  2006 and 2011= so powerful that pitchers were afraid to pitch to him
                  6) Buster Posey
                  with him Giants 2x WS champs, without him giants are @ a 500 team
                  7) David Ortiz
                  with him red sox=playoff team, without him red sox are so-so
                  he was was hurt and on the dl most of 2012 as such the red sox did not win much games
                  Last edited by drdg; 12-01-2012, 07:00 PM.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by drdg View Post
                    similar to the baseball writers (BBWA) voting for the MVP
                    who is the best player in the game is open to interpretation

                    is the best player, the player with the top individual numbers such as winning the triple crown

                    or is the best player, the player that time and time again
                    has such an impact on the teams wins/losses that his presence in the lineup carries that team to the playoff
                    the one player that if he were to get hurt, the team can no longer manage to win games

                    your first two listed are triple crown winners
                    okay for personal best

                    but my picks are:

                    1) Derek Jeter
                    without his leadership in the game the yankees couldn't win
                    2) Mariano Rivera
                    what is there to say, simply the BEST in both the regular season and post season
                    3) C. C. Sabatia
                    he carried the brewers and yankees to the playoff
                    4) Cecil fielder
                    without him, I don't think the tigers make it to the WS
                    5)Albert Pujol
                    2006 and 2011= so powerful that pitchers were afraid to pitch to him
                    6) Buster Posey
                    with him Giants 2x WS champs, without him giants are @ a 500 team
                    7) David Ortiz
                    with him red sox=playoff team, without him red sox are so-so
                    he was was hurt and on the dl most of 2012 as such the red sox did not win much games
                    Judging the best player by whose team wins is kind of silly in my opinion. You can pretty much take any playoff team and name their bast player and say 'this team would not have won it without so and so'. The fact that their team wins does not make them any more valuable than the great player on a losing team. Posey was great last year, but to say the Giants would be a .500 team without him is just wrong. He was hurt almost all of 2011 and they were 10 games over .500. he played only 2/3 a season in 2010, and they still won it all. That team lives and dies with their pitching, it's no secret.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by willshad View Post
                      Judging the best player by whose team wins is kind of silly in my opinion. You can pretty much take any playoff team and name their bast player and say 'this team would not have won it without so and so'.
                      Especially when the named player is not the best player on the team. Nor is the 2nd best player. Nor is the 3rd best player. Nor is the 4th best player. Etc.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by drdg View Post
                        similar to the baseball writers (BBWA) voting for the MVP
                        who is the best player in the game is open to interpretation

                        is the best player, the player with the top individual numbers such as winning the triple crown

                        or is the best player, the player that time and time again
                        has such an impact on the teams wins/losses that his presence in the lineup carries that team to the playoff
                        the one player that if he were to get hurt, the team can no longer manage to win games

                        your first two listed are triple crown winners
                        okay for personal best

                        but my picks are:

                        1) Derek Jeter
                        without his leadership in the game the yankees couldn't win
                        2) Mariano Rivera
                        what is there to say, simply the BEST in both the regular season and post season
                        3) C. C. Sabatia
                        he carried the brewers and yankees to the playoff
                        4) Cecil fielder
                        without him, I don't think the tigers make it to the WS
                        5)Albert Pujol
                        2006 and 2011= so powerful that pitchers were afraid to pitch to him
                        6) Buster Posey
                        with him Giants 2x WS champs, without him giants are @ a 500 team
                        7) David Ortiz
                        with him red sox=playoff team, without him red sox are so-so
                        he was was hurt and on the dl most of 2012 as such the red sox did not win much games

                        LMAO what the hell.
                        Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

                        If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by drdg View Post

                          but my picks are:

                          1) Derek Jeter
                          without his leadership in the game the yankees couldn't win
                          2) Mariano Rivera
                          what is there to say, simply the BEST in both the regular season and post season
                          3) C. C. Sabatia
                          he carried the brewers and yankees to the playoff
                          4) Cecil fielder
                          without him, I don't think the tigers make it to the WS
                          5)Albert Pujol
                          2006 and 2011= so powerful that pitchers were afraid to pitch to him
                          6) Buster Posey
                          with him Giants 2x WS champs, without him giants are @ a 500 team
                          7) David Ortiz
                          with him red sox=playoff team, without him red sox are so-so
                          he was was hurt and on the dl most of 2012 as such the red sox did not win much games

                          Dear lord. There is definitely some homerism involved here. What about all the other players that are key to their team making the playoffs?
                          Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by toomanyhatz View Post
                            Best current player at each position:

                            SP: Verlander (with lots of runners-up, including Kershaw and Price. And honestly, you still need to leave CC up there imo, since he does it year after year even if '12 was an off year)
                            RP: Kimbrel (but be wary of early flameout)
                            C: Posey
                            1B: it's still Pujols (but Votto not far behind)
                            2B: Cano
                            SS: Elvis, until Tulo can prove he can stay healthy. Or is it still Reyes? I have my doubts, I think he's slowing down already.
                            3B: David Wright, with Beltre right behind him if he can keep it up. Cabrera's not an established 3B to me.
                            LF: Braun
                            CF: It's still Kemp till further notice
                            RF: Bautista
                            DH: Cabrera ('cause you've got to put him somewhere, and that's where he's gonna end up soon enough anyway, so might as well beat the rush).
                            By putting Kimbrel there, are you going by 2012 alone? If that's the case, why no mention of Jeter at SS?
                            Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                              By putting Kimbrel there, are you going by 2012 alone? If that's the case, why no mention of Jeter at SS?
                              Because it's 2012, not 2000. OPS+ of 101 over the past 3 years, and -2.5 dWAR. If you only look at 2012, then Ian Desmond is a far better choice. Higher OPS+, higher WAR, higher dWAR.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X