No announcement yet.

Another Hip Surgery for A-Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Platoon Chavez and Jeter at Third, and Nunez and Jeter at SS. Jeter can split duties at DH/3B/SS to reduce the wear and tear of playing a young man's position.

Comment

No one is going to pay for A-Rod and his contract i don't think there is a prayer that the Yanks are ale to unload him to anyone.
      All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
        I wonder whether the Yankees front-office regrets this contract extension for A-Rod. Would they trade their 2009 World Series Championship to not have this albatross around their necks? Serious question; I really don't know the answer.

There's no way they win in 2009 without A-Rod carrying that team in his back throughout the postseason. Just imagine what the pressure would be now if the yankees were going on 13 years in a row without a championship.
        250 million plus isn't worth one WS. Perhaps his replacement in 2009 would be above average and they win anyway. Perhaps that same replacement goes on a tear and we win in 2012 too. Impossible to say for sure.
        Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

I wonder whether the Yankees front-office regrets this contract extension for A-Rod. Would they trade their 2009 World Series Championship to not have this albatross around their necks? Serious question; I really don't know the answer.

There's no way they win in 2009 without A-Rod carrying that team in his back throughout the postseason. Just imagine what the pressure would be now if the yankees were going on 13 years in a row without a championship.
          250 million plus isn't worth one WS. Perhaps his replacement in 2009 would be above average and they win anyway. Perhaps that same replacement goes on a tear and we win in 2012 too. Impossible to say for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
            Platoon Chavez and Jeter at Third, and Nunez and Jeter at SS. Jeter can split duties at DH/3B/SS to reduce the wear and tear of playing a young man's position.
            I'm not sure two positions would be good for Jeter or more confusing. Besides, Cashman already shot down the idea of Jeter moving to third. I can try and find the link if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
              They didn't pay 250 million plus for one WS. They got a lot of value from A-Rod in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Even in 2011 and 2012, he was a solidly above-average player. The issue is that he missed a lot of games, and that we expect better numbers because he's A-Rod. But it's not like he hasn't provided value when he's played.
              Last edited by GiambiJuice; 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM.
              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
              2. Barry Bonds
              3. Ty Cobb
              4. Ted Williams
              5. Willie Mays
              6. Alex Rodriguez
              7. Hank Aaron
              8. Honus Wagner
              9. Lou Gehrig
              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Possibly. But here's your free agents to choose from following the 2008 season with their ages - not exactly a "who's who" of quality talent.

Casey Blake (35)
                Aaron Boone (35)
                Joe Crede (30)
                Adam Everett (31)
                Chris Gomez (37)
                Jerry Hairston Jr. (32)
                Mike Lamb (33)
                Mark Loretta (37)
                Nick Punto (31)
                Juan Uribe (29)
                "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

actually a yankees WS costs over 200 millions. Since winning the WS is all that counts for the yanks the contract might be worth it
                  I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

They didn't pay 250 million plus for one WS. They got a lot of value from A-Rod in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Even in 2011 and 2012, he was a solidly above-average player. The issue is that he missed a lot of games, and that we expect better numbers because he's A-Rod. But it's not like he hasn't provided value when he's played.
                    He's not being paid almost 300 million to be solidly above average. They paid him that much to be elite, like in 2007. And on that he's failed.

Comment

He's not being paid almost 300 million to be solidly above average. They paid him that much to be elite, like in 2007. And on that he's failed.
                      They weren't expecting him to be the best player in baseball at age 42. In 2007 he was worth closer to $40 million. They were obviously expecting to get most of the value from that contract during the first 5 or 6 years. If they were expecting elite play at age 40+, than yeah, I'll agree they are dumb.
                      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                      2. Barry Bonds
                      3. Ty Cobb
                      4. Ted Williams
                      5. Willie Mays
                      6. Alex Rodriguez
                      7. Hank Aaron
                      8. Honus Wagner
                      9. Lou Gehrig
                      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

They weren't expecting him to be the best player in baseball at age 42. In 2007 he was worth closer to $40 million. They were obviously expecting to get most of the value from that contract during the first 5 or 6 years. If they were expecting elite play at age 40+, than yeah, I'll agree they are dumb.
                        Well, I'm sure they expected him to at least have a couple more 40 home run years. I'll admit, when he signed the extension I thought he'd be great for a few more seasons. He hasn't been great since. Not his fault, but it is what it is.

Comment

Everybody thought he'd be great. And even being outside of NY, I know there's a certain pressure in keeping players on the roster - especially those who are annual All-Stars and MVP candidates.

Here's what ARod was coming off of when he got his new deal inked...

143 Runs
                          54 HR
                          156 RBI
                          .314 AVG
                          .422 OBP
                          .645 SLG
                          176 OPS+

Those aren't just good numbers from the 3B position - they're insane. Even with a 10% annual decay, he's targeting an above average level for for 7-8 seasons. Sure, reality says 10% is too much at the age, but coming off such a season, i don't remember a whole lot of Yankee fans being ticked off with the deal. I'd love to say that if I were a GM, I wouldn't do the extension, but #1 I'm not a GM and #2 I'm not in the NY market with the logo and pinstripes that comes with it. It's a totally different animal than practically any other MLB franchise and is treated as such.
                          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Well, it looks like the Yankees anticipated this eventuality and covered themselves:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...ter-a-rod-deal
                            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                            2. Barry Bonds
                            3. Ty Cobb
                            4. Ted Williams
                            5. Willie Mays
                            6. Alex Rodriguez
                            7. Hank Aaron
                            8. Honus Wagner
                            9. Lou Gehrig
                            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Well, it looks like the Yankees anticipated this eventuality and covered themselves:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...ter-a-rod-deal
                              does the insurance pay for any missed game or just when he misses a full season?
                              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by yankillaz View Post
                                He's not quite ahead of the curve, in the fact that Silver had him with 668 hrs by the end of 2012, while he's currently at 647.
                                Ahead of the decline curve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X