X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cap78
    Not a Loveable Loser
    • Oct 2010

I will hope for the best, but I fear that this has gary matthews results all over it

Comment

• PlanetZoltan
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Buczilla View Post
      Upside? Gonna be a huge star? Potential? Breakout season? This is gonna finally be the year? How many more lives does this cat have left in him?
      Yeah Uptons been around for quite a while now, and based on the what people say he can and should be doing, he really hasnt done much.

Comment

• Honus Wagner Rules
        xFIP?! I laugh at you!
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
        first Upton is getting 75.5 million, Pagan 40 million (I less year)

Upton has a .298 OB% and 169 K's on his 2012 resume

that is scary bad

basically the only thing upton is better at is hitting home runs and in case you are not aware, ATT Park is anathema to HR hitters

The Giants love his game which matches perfectly to their home park

Being a switch hitter is helpful too

In ROAD games, Pagan outslugged Upton .468 to .408

7 of Pagan's 8 HR were also hit in road parks
        We Giants fans know that Pagan's type of game suits At&T Park to a tee. I'm good with this signing. I think he'll age well.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Buczilla
          LETS GO BUCCOS !!!
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Zoltan View Post
          Yeah Uptons been around for quite a while now, and based on the what people say he can and should be doing, he really hasnt done much.
          Without throwing out all the advanced stats....

Upton: .255 BA, .336 OBP, .422 SLG, .758 OPS, 105 OPS+
          Pagan: .281 BA, .333 OBP, .424 SLG, .757 OPS, 106 OPS+

One would think his numbers for his career would look alot better than that, considering all that potential and early success at age 22. That 22 year old future star will be 29 come August of next year.

FYI, there was a time that I defended and gave props to his game on this very site.

Comment

• PlanetZoltan
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Buczilla View Post
            Without throwing out all the advanced stats....

Upton: .255 BA, .336 OBP, .422 SLG, .758 OPS, 105 OPS+
            Pagan: .281 BA, .333 OBP, .424 SLG, .757 OPS, 106 OPS+

One would think his numbers for his career would look alot better than that, considering all that potential and early success at age 22. That 22 year old future star will be 29 come August of next year.

FYI, there was a time that I defended and gave props to his game on this very site.
            Well BJ Upton would be a pretty good to great player if he could jack up his BA .050 points and cut down on the K's. Pretty decent power and plenty of steals, just makes a lot of outs.

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
              The Natural
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Zoltan View Post
              Well BJ Upton would be a pretty good to great player if he could jack up his BA .050 points and cut down on the K's. Pretty decent power and plenty of steals, just makes a lot of outs.
              How many hundreds of others could the same be said?
              1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
              2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
              3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• GiambiJuice
                • May 2005

first Upton is getting 75.5 million, Pagan 40 million (I less year)

Upton has a .298 OB% and 169 K's on his 2012 resume

that is scary bad

basically the only thing upton is better at is hitting home runs and in case you are not aware, ATT Park is anathema to HR hitters

The Giants love his game which matches perfectly to their home park

Being a switch hitter is helpful too

In ROAD games, Pagan outslugged Upton .468 to .408

7 of Pagan's 8 HR were also hit in road parks
                If it were the Dodgers who signed Pagan for the same money and same years I'm sure you'd be singing their praises.
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                  The Natural
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                  If it were the Dodgers who signed Pagan for the same money and same years I'm sure you'd be singing their praises.
                  trust me everyone in the Giants community is very happy with this deal

they like him as a leadoff hitter and a CF and both his offensive talents and defensive talents are suited well for ATT
                  Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 12-04-2012, 07:40 AM.
                  1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                  2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

• Blue387
                    Ya gotta believe
                    • Jul 2010

I liked Angel Pagan, especially his 2010 season with the Mets.

He is inherently prone to extremes, both of incompetence and of genius.
                    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• KHenry14
                      Gigantes Moderator
                      • Feb 2004

they like him as a leadoff hitter and a CF and both his offensive talents and defensive talents are suited well for ATT
                      That's true.

Also, this is a bit of a statement about the mediocre season the Giants top prospect Gary Brown had in Richmond. Gary still has a future, but nobody sees him on the fast track like Posey and Belt were.
                      “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                        Semi-lucid User
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
                        That's true.

Also, this is a bit of a statement about the mediocre season the Giants top prospect Gary Brown had in Richmond. Gary still has a future, but nobody sees him on the fast track like Posey and Belt were.
                        Brown is the player that I believe (though I've seen nothing on it) our (Philly) GM wanted in the Pence deal along with Joseph. It's probably why Schierholtz was simply let go this offseason as the Phillies need some hitting prospects with upside.
                        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
                          OSHA-certified Moderator
                          • Jan 2000

Personally, I thought the pre-edited post was funny.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                            The Natural
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                            Personally, I thought the pre-edited post was funny.
                            well I can understand that

Anyway there is an article by Jaffe on si.com explaining why this WAS a good deal and that for much less money he has outperformed Upton on both sides of the ball the last 4 years

actually I think his wife is gorgeous and I want to see more film of her - like at the championship parade

Comment

• Rich the Giants fan
                              Stretch 44
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                              Wow, that seems like a lot for a marginal player in his 30's. Quintessential Sabean signing.
                              I'm fine with this move, especially after the Red Sox gave Victorino about $3MM more per year. Pagan will be 31, not exactly his mid-30's, and he's coming off a very good year in which he led the league in triples (setting a SF Giants club record) and was instrumental in leading the Giants to the World Series Championship. His line over the past four seasons is .285/.337/.427 and he's got 37 triples in those four years with 112 stolen bases (a 79% SB rate in 142 tries). B.J Upton's line over the last four seasons is .242/.316/.420 and he's getting $15MM per year. Angel's career line is .281/.333/.424. Upton, who strikes out once in every four plate appearances, has a career line of .255/.336/.422.

Everyone always wants to criticize Sabean. His response? Talk to the trophies.
                              San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

• Rich the Giants fan
                                Stretch 44
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                                Brown is the player that I believe (though I've seen nothing on it) our (Philly) GM wanted in the Pence deal along with Joseph. It's probably why Schierholtz was simply let go this offseason as the Phillies need some hitting prospects with upside.
                                Brown struggled early, picked up and had a solid season. I've seen him play and I'm convinced he's going to be the Giants CF for a long time, probably reaching the majors in 2014, if not sooner. There was no way the Phillies were going to get Brown in a deal for Pence. Count yourselves lucky you got Joseph.
                                San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X