where are the rangers heading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where are the rangers heading?

sorry for starting that thread after doing my rant about them in the general offseason thread. I'm really not a rangers hater and actually like that team. it was a very exiting team in 2010 and 2011.

however I'm not sure what the rangers frontoffice is thinking.

last year they lost wilson (and replaced him with unproven japanese pitcher) and this year this lost two of their best hitters. hamilton and napoli hit a combined 65 HRs last year. they also shipped away young for a relief pitcher.

Is this a sellout? they have added absolutely nothing in the last two seasons while the angles have geared up big time. what is the plan for 2013? and who will even play for them? they basically don't have a first baseman and a center fielder and also lack some pitching both in starting and relief. are the owners in financial trouble? very strange situation in texas.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Originally posted by dominik View Post
    however I'm not sure what the rangers frontoffice is thinking.

last year they lost wilson (and replaced him with unproven japanese pitcher) and this year this lost two of their best hitters. hamilton and napoli hit a combined 65 HRs last year. they also shipped away young for a relief pitcher.

Is this a sellout? they have added absolutely nothing in the last two seasons while the angles have geared up big time. what is the plan for 2013? and who will even play for them? they basically don't have a first baseman and a center fielder and also lack some pitching both in starting and relief. are the owners in financial trouble? very strange situation in texas.
    I think the Rangers have a good front office, and even at the end of last season, it sounded like a lot of Ranger fans were prepared for the possibility that Hamilton would walk, so Jon Daniels and his guys undoubtedly were too. While Hamilton is a very good player, his 2010 MVP season is something of an outlier, so losing him isn't the end of the world.

Replacing Wilson with Darvish worked out pretty well, so I don't see how you can think that it indicates a lack of effort on their part. I think the Rangers are trying to spend money wisely and not throw away too much on guys who aren't likely to be worth it in the long run. In that sense, Darvish looks like a much better investment than Wilson. The offseason is still young, so the Rangers have time to make moves with their eyes on 2013 if they want to.
    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

The Rangers have some of the best young talent in baseball. I think they'll be ok for a good number of years.
      http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

They've got Profar at SS, who could be a real star, but actually no place to put him unless they trade Elvis Andrus... I can't figure out how they can get out of the hole they're in after losing out on Grienke & Hamilton. There's no FA of their caliber left to pursue.
        Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Comment

I am slightly a Ranger hater only cause they have knocked the Rays out like every friggen time we meet. But the way the Rangers have unloaded recently it seems that they are no longer top dog in that division.
          All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

They may need to hold onto that young talent until next offseason or make an in season trade when more guys may be available

Comment

I don't see them winning the AL West this year, but I don't see them being a bad team in any sense of the word.

I can definitely see them going hardcore next offseason, perhaps they will get into the big money game too.
              My Twitter: https://twitter.com/MrBaseball91

Comment

Originally posted by keystone View Post
                They've got Profar at SS, who could be a real star, but actually no place to put him unless they trade Elvis Andrus... I can't figure out how they can get out of the hole they're in after losing out on Grienke & Hamilton. There's no FA of their caliber left to pursue.
                You answered your own question.

Trading Andrus (or Profar, or Kinsler) would bring back some talent.

Comment

It seems like the Cardinals came one game short of making the world series after losing Albert Pujols.

The easy thing to do is to write them off. Since when have things always followed the easy way?
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                    It seems like the Cardinals came one game short of making the world series after losing Albert Pujols.

The easy thing to do is to write them off. Since when have things always followed the easy way?

I agree. I don't think they are going to suck but it will be hard. they not only have to replace hamilton but also napoli and young. of course they could be lucky and 3 of their prospects have a monster breakthrough but you cannot count on that.
                    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                      I agree. I don't think they are going to suck but it will be hard. they not only have to replace hamilton but also napoli and young. of course they could be lucky and 3 of their prospects have a monster breakthrough but you cannot count on that.
                      Michael Young was terrible this past season. His departure is addition by subtraction.
                      Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X