Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If there is another single season home run race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
    I wouldn't put Aaron in that mix. He was never an elite single-season home run hitter.
    Aaron in his prime at Atlanta Stadium would have hit 50-60 dongs with regularity.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
      Citizen's Bank was more of a bandbox than Yankee Stadium was.
      True this. He does [did, is more like it] HR a lot to all fields. I think someone with his raw power in '06, before he was kind of [now essentially] figured out by opposing pitchers, would have been pulling fastballs into the RF bleachers all day. Maybe he wouldn't have changed his approach due the stadium. Who knows?
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
        I don't think it is possible to even hit 62 clean. pitchers are just a lot better in These days and they use a lot of scouting.

even if one would have the Talent he would see nothing in his happy zone and also walk a ton (just like it happened to bonds after his 73 year)
        That much better than the early 2000's?
        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Mike Trout on steroids hitting leadoff. I can see that possibilty for 74+ HRs. You cannot intentionally walk this speed burner with the huge bats behind him. Forfeiting a double right off the bat with great RBI men behind him wouldn't be wise.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
            I don't think it is possible to even hit 62 clean. pitchers are just a lot better in These days and they use a lot of scouting.

even if one would have the Talent he would see nothing in his happy zone and also walk a ton (just like it happened to bonds after his 73 year)
            Of course run environment may change in the future - it always has. I don't think the thread starter specifically asked if somebody could challenge 73 right now.
            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by pheasant View Post
              Mike Trout on steroids hitting leadoff. I can see that possibilty for 74+ HRs. You cannot intentionally walk this speed burner with the huge bats behind him. Forfeiting a double right off the bat with great RBI men behind him wouldn't be wise.
              Rickey Henderson was an automatic double who led off and he got walked a TON.
              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
              2. Barry Bonds
              3. Ty Cobb
              4. Ted Williams
              5. Willie Mays
              6. Alex Rodriguez
              7. Hank Aaron
              8. Honus Wagner
              9. Lou Gehrig
              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                He would have to volunteer for testing. 73 HR is pretty hard for a clean player to hit. Ryan Howard playing for the Yankees in 2006 might have been able to hit it. Maybe. 62 is more likely and all that matters to me.
                What about as a Rockie?
                Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Well, if Ryan Braun took steroids, he would hit 60-70 home runs.
                  Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

I think it is still reasonable to be suspicious any time someone starts doing exceptionally well, not just with knocking out 70 HRs. Just look at Melky and the resurgent Bartolo last season. Not too mention the Braun debacle the year before, and the suspicions of Joey Bautista when he hit 54 a couple years ago which seemed pretty uncharacteristic. I don't want to point any fingers, and absolutely believe that they are innocent until they fail the test, but I will be suspicious. It is only natural, I think, after all that has happened in the past couple decades.
                    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
                      Well, if Ryan Braun took steroids, he would hit 60-70 home runs.
                      I don't think so. As a clean player, he's only topped 35 home runs once. He's more of an all-fields hitter with power. He hits a ton of singles and doubles.
                      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                      2. Barry Bonds
                      3. Ty Cobb
                      4. Ted Williams
                      5. Willie Mays
                      6. Alex Rodriguez
                      7. Hank Aaron
                      8. Honus Wagner
                      9. Lou Gehrig
                      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Of anybody playing today, my money would be on Giancarlo. He hit 37 with only 500 PAs this year (3 more HRs and 100 PAs less than last season), and he still has some baby fat on him. Put him in Fenway in a few years when the Marlins can no more afford him, and the Sox are back to spending money to surround him, and his mistake popups will go over the Monster. Barring injuries, and as long as he's in the right situation, I can seriously see him making a push for the 61 mark one day.
                        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

I don't think so. As a clean player, he's only topped 35 home runs once. He's more of an all-fields hitter with power. He hits a ton of singles and doubles.

Hey, I'm just using one of his own quotes.
                          Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
                            Who knows what baseball will evolve to down the road? 50 years from now it could be commonplace for a hitter to hit .400.
                            According to wade boggs, this will never happen again

Comment

Originally posted by Cap78 View Post
                              According to wade boggs, this will never happen again
                              As the game's set up today, there's no way somebody hits .400 anytime soon IMO.
                              "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Rickey Henderson was an automatic double who led off and he got walked a TON.
                                Rickey was maybe 5'9" and he crouched. His strike zone wasn't much bigger than Eddie Gaedel's. And the hitters behind Trout are more dangerous, especially a top 10 all time hitter called Pujols.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X