Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB markets where baseball is #1?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MLB markets where baseball is #1?

    Boston and St. Louis are obvious choices. Maybe San Francisco? FWIW, MLB is the only league out of the Big 4 that has every team sharing the city/market with at least one NBA/NHL/NFL counterpart.
    Last edited by UnderPressure; 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

    If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

  • #2
    I don't believe baseball is first in any city. I once did but NFL regular season games easily outrate MLB playoff games including New York. Maybe the team is more popular for example the Cards but the game of football I bet is probably more popular than baseball in St. Louis.

    Comment


    • #3
      The Cardinals are by far more popular than the Rams. The Rams may find themselves without a home and I think some of that would have to do with the Cardinal Nation. Not saying that's a good or a bad thing. But St. Louis is simply a baseball town. Another example for that: in addition to the MLB team, there are two Frontier League teams within 30 minutes of Busch Stadium. TR Hughes is in O'Fallon, MO and GCS Ballpark is in the shadow of Busch Stadium. I believe it is 4 miles straight-shot from GCS to Busch...

      Baseball is King in St. Louis.
      Mike Hopper
      Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

      Comment


      • #4
        I think baseball is still more popular in NY but the gap is very close. I know Mike Francesca (radio host on WFAN) often says baseball is the one sport he can talk about 365 days a year in this town. And just from personal experience, baseball is the one sport where even the non-sports fan can name a couple of players. On the other hand, a Giants-49ers game had nearly double the viewers of a Yankees-Tigers playoff game earlier this year when they went head to head. Of course the problem with comparing ratings with the two sports is that there are so many more baseball games than football ones, thus diluting the importance of the former.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Toy Boat View Post
          I think baseball is still more popular in NY but the gap is very close. I know Mike Francesca (radio host on WFAN) often says baseball is the one sport he can talk about 365 days a year in this town.
          I used to listen to the FAN down here in Philly when he had somebody else with him (bulldog or something?) and he was going thru lineups of the '46 WS - which had nothing to do with the Yankees. I sat in my car outside of Rite Aid for 30 minutes listening to them talking about the players - and this was mid-December.

          Originally posted by Toy Boat View Post
          And just from personal experience, baseball is the one sport where even the non-sports fan can name a couple of players. On the other hand, a Giants-49ers game had nearly double the viewers of a Yankees-Tigers playoff game earlier this year when they went head to head. Of course the problem with comparing ratings with the two sports is that there are so many more baseball games than football ones, thus diluting the importance of the former.
          Football's and event that fans look forward to for a week at a time. Imagine football with a 100+ game schedule while playing 3-4 games a week. Practically every starter would be on the IR by week 5 and it would be nothing more than practice teams players in the lineups each week. Both sports bring to the table a quality of game. I don't think either should be compared to, as they're completely different with the one commonality being they make boatloads of money.

          As i mentioned football players not likely to last 100+ game seasons, hitters in baseball probably couldn't hit all that well playing once a week since baseball's more of repitition over time. If both leagues switched schedule types, I think both would fail. As their built now, they draw billions of dollars annually.
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

          Comment


          • #6
            It's close in Detroit, but I think baseball does edge out hockey. One big difference is Comerica is a nice place for a family to take in a game but Joe Louis Arena, where the Red Wings play, has its share of issues after 30+ years.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
              The Cardinals are by far more popular than the Rams. The Rams may find themselves without a home and I think some of that would have to do with the Cardinal Nation. Not saying that's a good or a bad thing. But St. Louis is simply a baseball town. Another example for that: in addition to the MLB team, there are two Frontier League teams within 30 minutes of Busch Stadium. TR Hughes is in O'Fallon, MO and GCS Ballpark is in the shadow of Busch Stadium. I believe it is 4 miles straight-shot from GCS to Busch...

              Baseball is King in St. Louis.
              Yeah - it isn't that close either. I bet ratings per game on cable for the Cards are pretty close to per game ratings for the Rams.
              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

              1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

              1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


              The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                It's close in Detroit, but I think baseball does edge out hockey. One big difference is Comerica is a nice place for a family to take in a game but Joe Louis Arena, where the Red Wings play, has its share of issues after 30+ years.
                I'd love to think the Tigers are number one here, but until the Lions stop getting 65k every Sunday to watch the most pathetic franchise the league has ever seen the Lions are still #1 here. When the Tigers are winning they sell out and have great TV ratings, but Septembers at Comerica, when the Tigers are out of the race, is like a morgue.

                The first year I had season tickets in 2004 a good attendance was 22k on a Friday night and anything around 30k was incredible. At that time Matt Millen was in the middle of his first contract on his was to another sub .500 season and were selling out every game. I know NFL and MLB are apples and oranges, but the Lions are #1 here I'm afraid.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dadair6 View Post
                  I'd love to think the Tigers are number one here, but until the Lions stop getting 65k every Sunday to watch the most pathetic franchise the league has ever seen the Lions are still #1 here. When the Tigers are winning they sell out and have great TV ratings, but Septembers at Comerica, when the Tigers are out of the race, is like a morgue.

                  The first year I had season tickets in 2004 a good attendance was 22k on a Friday night and anything around 30k was incredible. At that time Matt Millen was in the middle of his first contract on his was to another sub .500 season and were selling out every game. I know NFL and MLB are apples and oranges, but the Lions are #1 here I'm afraid.
                  I simply remember a lot of Sunday blackouts over the years. Moving back to Detroit has helped the Lions a bit the last few years, but pre-Matthew Stafford there were a lot of empty seats at Ford Field. The Lions have their diehards. But I think the teams that have stayed in Detroit through the years have the hearts to the city.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                    I used to listen to the FAN down here in Philly when he had somebody else with him (bulldog or something?) and he was going thru lineups of the '46 WS - which had nothing to do with the Yankees. I sat in my car outside of Rite Aid for 30 minutes listening to them talking about the players - and this was mid-December.

                    : His partner was Chris Russo, aka the "Mad Dog", but he left a few years ago to do satellite radio. The show hasn't been the same since then. But yeah, talking about the '46 WS in the middle of December sounds like something they would do. They certainly talked far more baseball than hockey during the winter, I can tell you that!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Living in Atlanta, I would have to say I know slightly more Braves fans than Falcons fans.

                      We love our Braves.
                      Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                        It's close in Detroit, but I think baseball does edge out hockey. One big difference is Comerica is a nice place for a family to take in a game but Joe Louis Arena, where the Red Wings play, has its share of issues after 30+ years.
                        Hockey here in Tampa is actually pretty popular and does tend to trump Baseball and Football the Lightning have Drawn better then some of the original northern hockey teams.
                        All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

                        A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                          Hockey here in Tampa is actually pretty popular and does tend to trump Baseball and Football the Lightning have Drawn better then some of the original northern hockey teams.
                          I never would have imagined that. I thought it was the whole Southeast, but it may just be Georgian's who have zero hockey interest.
                          Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I would think St Louis wins this pretty easily.
                            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

                            "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              NY probably. at least the yanks are by far the greatest NY Franchise. Baseball is the only Sport where NY really was dominant. the giants have been good the last years but Overall the yanks are the only constantly dominating NY Team.
                              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X