Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Orioles Manager Earl Weaver Has Passed Away

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

I told my wife he died this morning on an Orioles fantasy cruise. She said, "What a way to go!"

Rest in peace, Earl. Glad I got to meet you. :applaud:
    Last edited by bryanac625; 01-19-2013, 09:14 AM.

RIP Earl...

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

That article didn't even mention where this cruise was. Great writing.
      The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

I love that video with him and the ump. RIP Earl.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Anointed as “Baltimore’s resident genius” by Sports Illustrated‘s June 18, 1979 cover, Weaver was a 5-foot-7 spitfire whose irascibility was exceeded only by his tactical acumen; imagine Ozzie Guillen’s profanity crossed with Lou Piniella’s explosiveness, multiplied by Tony LaRussa’s mastery of roster usage.
          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
          3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

I loved this anecdote:
            Former umpire Don Denkinger said he called one of Weaver's last games in the majors.
            ''He comes to home plate before the game and says, 'Gentlemen, I'm done.' He told us the only way he'd ever come back is if he ran out of money,'' Denkinger told The Associated Press by phone from Arizona. ''I told him that if he ever ran out of money to call the umpires' association and we'd take up a collection for him. We'd do anything, just to keep him off the field and away from us.''
            Source

Funny indeed!

Comment

I'm so happy for him and his family that the Orioles gave him a winning season and a statue/ceremony in his last year. That was good timing. He even got to make (some) amends with Jim Palmer in their old age.
              http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

I remember a game where Weaver brought out a rule book, jabbed his finger at something and then shredded the book. The shredded paper became a confetti shower for the ump. I wish I could find a video of that, it was one of the funniest thing I ever watched.
                Thanks for that memory, Earl.
                I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.

Comment

I liked this one anecdote about one of his many ejections (can't remember who it was against) but the umpire during the argument, stated "I have the rulebook in my pocket, I'll show you the rule" and Earl responded "That's no good, I can't read Braille" RIP to the Earl of Baltimore.
                  LETS GO BUCS!!

Comment

HAHAHAHA, it was very, very funny!

We'll miss you, Weaver.

Comment

Both Musial and Weaver...sad indeed. Weaver was born in St. Louis, attended a HS built on a former MLB ballpark's site.......Beaumont HS, formerly Robison Field.

Comment

I got a chance to meet Weaver at the All-Star Festival in Detroit a few years back. He seemed very happy to be there. The expression on his face as he signed my ball then smiled reminded me of a grandfather after just giving a present. When Gaylord Perry wasn't able to make the next autograph session, Weaver immediately volunteered to take his spot.

He really seemed to be enjoying himself in his retirement years. RIP.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ejected twice from a game during the lineup card exchange.That must be a record!LOL

Comment

In many ways the exact opposite of Musial in on field deportment and personality, but a big fan favorite nonetheless.
                            My favorite manager of modern times, and you could certainly argue that he was also the best.
                            "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                              In many ways the exact opposite of Musial in on field deportment and personality, but a big fan favorite nonetheless.
                              My favorite manager of modern times, and you could certainly argue that he was also the best.

I think very highly of him for what he could do to get the most out of a team

when Billy Martin managed the Tigers and Earl Weaver managed the Orioles in the early 70s, Martin said "anyone can win with that Orioles talent"

later Martin managed the spendkees Yankees and the Orioles had a big falloff in talent and Weaver almost won in 1977 (2 games out) and did win in 1979
                              1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                              2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                              3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X