• Show
Clear All
  • Honus Wagner Rules
    xFIP?! I laugh at you!
    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Stolensingle View Post
    Trout rookie card ties a record, sells for $900K:

https://sports.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant...132817135.html

2009? He was in A ball then. i guess that's why it's so rare.
    I think it's silly to consider this to be a "rookie card" since it wasn't massed produced and not made available to the general public.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• bluesky5
      • May 2011

Trout has been in the league almost ten full seasons and hasn’t had a single memorable moment.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• Stolensingle
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
        Trout has been in the league almost ten full seasons and hasn’t had a single memorable moment.
        It depends on how you define memorable. If only postseason games count, then that's basically true. It was also basically true for Ted Williams, and for Bonds through his first fifteen years.

Trout has had a lot of regular season heroics.

Comment

• bluesky5
          • May 2011

I can’t think of any player of his renown since WWII with less team success his first ten years. Maybe Winfield?
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• Stolensingle
            • Nov 2012

I can’t think of any player of his renown since WWII with less team success his first ten years. Maybe Winfield?
            Winfield nearly hit the jackpot in year 9, if he didn't do much in the PS.

Ernie Banks?

Frank Thomas is pretty close.

Sandberg and Mauer are on the list.

Sounds like a good topic. Great players with little team success.
            Last edited by Stolensingle; 05-23-2020, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• bluesky5
              • May 2011

Ernie Banks?
              Yep that’s another. I’m not saying Trout doesn’t play hard or anything like that. Can’t accuse him of trying to get out of a losing situation though. When A-Rod was in free agency he got all kinds of hell for taking big bucks and not choosing a team that was going to contend. Trout re-signed with the Angels for huge bucks also knowing his chances of winning were slim. I’d love to see him in a pennant race and/or the playoffs. Chances for that are slimmer and slimmer by the year though.

Comment

• GiambiJuice
                • May 2005

Says you.

He has had lots of memorable moments. His many catches over the wall to rob home runs from opposing batters, his back-to-back All Star game MVP awards (only players ever to do that), his three regular season MVPs, signing a record breaking $426 million contract, etc.

Why are you such a hater? Because he's been on bad teams?
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• bluesky5
                  • May 2011

Winfield nearly hit the jackpot in year 9, if he didn't do much in the PS.

Ernie Banks?

Frank Thomas is pretty close.

Sandberg and Mauer are on the list.

Sounds like a good topic. Great players with little team success.
                  Rhyno hit .385 and .400 in two NLCS by 29. Thomas hit .353 in the ‘93 ALCS. Mauer hit .182, .415, .250 in three ALDS with the Twins. Trout hit .083 in his lone division series. He needs to get back there. I have serious doubts that the Angels are going to make it.

Comment

• GiambiJuice
                    • May 2005

There has only been a small handful of players since WWII with Trout's renown, so yeah.

Ken Griffey Jr. won exactly one playoff series in his 22 year career. For some reason I haven't seen you criticise him for that. Hmm...
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• bluesky5
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

Says you.

He has had lots of memorable moments. His many catches over the wall to rob home runs from opposing batters, his back-to-back All Star game MVP awards (only players ever to do that), his three regular season MVPs, signing a record breaking $426 million contract, etc.

Why are you such a hater? Because he's been on bad teams?
                      Everyone did it to A-Rod. How is Trout different?

Comment

• Stolensingle
                        • Nov 2012

What are the odds that Trout in his career:

a) plays in another postseason series? I'd guess 80-90%
                        b) wins a postseason series? I'd guess not much more 50%
                        c) plays in a WS? 10-20%?
                        d) wins a WS? 10%?

Rhyno hit .385 and .400 in two NLCS by 29. Thomas hit .353 in the ‘93 ALCS. Mauer hit .182, .415, .250 in three ALDS with the Twins. Trout hit .083 in his lone division series. He needs to get back there. I have serious doubts that the Angels are going to make it.
                        Your question was team success.

There has only been a small handful of players since WWII with Trout's renown, so yeah.

Ken Griffey Jr. won exactly one playoff series in his 22 year career. For some reason I haven't seen you criticise him for that. Hmm...
                        But Griffey did have more team success in his first ten years than Trout has.

Sky can defend himself, but I didn't think he was criticizing Trout for having so little postseason experience (other than for signing away the rest of his career with the Angels, and I agree with that). Sky was just saying, isn't that sad, and it is.
                        Last edited by Stolensingle; 05-23-2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• bluesky5
                          • May 2011

This seems pretty personal to you. Are you and Trout dating? Griffey also tied the record for HR in a postseason series in the ‘95 ALDS and scored the series winning run. Stepped up big.

Comment

• bluesky5
                            • May 2011

What are the odds that Trout in his career:

a) plays in another postseason series? I'd guess 80-90%
                            b) wins a postseason series? I'd guess not much more 50%
                            c) plays in a WS? 10-20%?
                            d) wins a WS? 10%?

Your question was team success.
                            Those three players were playing on teams when they posted those numbers. They didn’t just show up by themselves.

Comment

• GiambiJuice
                              • May 2005

This seems pretty personal to you. Are you and Trout dating? Griffey also tied the record for HR in a postseason series in the ‘95 ALDS and scored the series winning run. Stepped up big.
                              Yep, he's my sugar daddy.
                              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                              2. Barry Bonds
                              3. Ty Cobb
                              4. Ted Williams
                              5. Willie Mays
                              6. Alex Rodriguez
                              7. Hank Aaron
                              8. Honus Wagner
                              9. Lou Gehrig
                              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Stolensingle
                                • Nov 2012

Those three players were playing on teams when they posted those numbers. They didn’t just show up by themselves.
                                Actually, they kind of did, given how poorly their teams fared.

The original question was, has anyone of Trout's renown enjoyed less team success in his first ten years since WWII? Probably not, given, as GJ says, very few players in that period have had Trout's renown. But now it seems the question has morphed into, has any player with such renown performed more poorly in the postseason than Trout? Sure, he didn't do much in his one appearance. But he only got to play three games. Players like Griffey and Thomas at least got a larger sample size to work with.

In 1977, Mr. October, Reggie Jackson, went 2/16 in the ALCS (two singles in five games, a far worse appearance than Trout, who had a HR and more walks in just three games). But Jackson's teammates played well enough to win that series, and buy him a ticket to the WS. He did pretty much nothing in the first three games, then exploded for 5 HR in the final three games, and was runaway MVP. Who knows what Trout would have done if his series had been extended, let alone had the team advanced to the next round?
                                Last edited by Stolensingle; 05-23-2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X