X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

Or that Bruce Jenner is a woman.
    It's crazy what the world has come to.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Or that Bruce Jenner is a woman.
      And a damned handsome woman at that.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• "But people within know..." Trying to sound so ominous when he does that.
        46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• Who was/is better, Mike Trout or Mickey Mantle? I asked that question in a Twitter poll earlier this week, and the contest wasn’t close. With recency bias likely influencing the results, a resounding 76.6% cast their votes for the Los Angeles Angels superstar. The New York Yankees icon, who played from 1951-1968, garnered a paltry 23.4%.

Was recency bias indeed a factor? Or is Trout truly the better of the two? Eras and career lengths —Trout is eight-plus in years and counting — obviously muddle the equation, but I don’t think he is. At least not yet.

Trout has 73.4 WAR, and 285 home runs to go with a 172 wRC+, through his age-27 season. At the same stage of his career, Mantle had 67.9 WAR, 280 home runs, and a 172 wRC+. In terms of at-this-age comparisons, Trout has a razor-thin edge.

But what happens going forward? Trout is obviously still in his prime, but will he be able to match what Mantle did from age 28-32? Over that five-year stretch, “The Commerce Comet” averaged 6.4 WAR and 35 home runs annually, with a 186 w.RC+. And while Trout is facing a truncated 2020 season, it should be noted that Mantle played just 65 games in 1963 due to injury.

Mantle’s age 33-36 decline phase is also to be considered. His final four seasons yielded 12.3 WAR and 82 home runs, with a 149 wRC+.

One last numerical look: Trout’s five best wRC+ seasons have been 198, 186, 185, 179, and 176. Mantle’s best were 221, 210, 206, 196, and 195.

Trout is the most dominant player in the game, and he has a chance to go down as one of the best ever. That said, Mantle was once the most dominant player in the game, and with 112.3 WAR and a plaque in Cooperstown, he’s already one of the best ever. As great as he is, Trout isn’t Mantle just yet.
          https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-n...and-tooled-up/

Comment

• In Baseball-Reference's 2020 simulated season Trout is currently on pace for:
            .288/.433/.622
            137 runs
            54 home runs
            115 RBI
            144 walks
            18 stolen bases
            9.4 WAR

One can only dream....
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Trout names Scherzer as best pitcher he's ever faced:

Golfer Brooks Koepka and Angels outfielder Mike Trout linked up on Nike Golf’s Instagram on Sunday. During their conversation, Koepka asked Trout which pitcher was the toughest he has faced in his career. Trout named Max Scherzer, saying he was happy when the right-hander went to the National League as a free agent in 2015.

Trout also went on to mention a memorable at-bat he had against Scherzer in the 2018 All-Star Game at Nationals Park. Scherzer struck out Mookie Betts and José Altuve consecutively to start the first inning. He hoped to do the same to Trout, who fell behind 1-2 in the count, but he worked the count full. Trout then fouled off a couple of tough pitches before drawing ball four for a walk. Trout said, “It was the best at-bat I’ve ever had. He was throwing nasty pitches and I was just fouling stuff off.”

Scherzer, a three-time Cy Young Award winner, is one of the few pitchers that has been able to hold Trout at bay. In 16 at-bats between the two, Trout has a .188/.188/.438 line with a double, a solo home run, and three runs scored. Scherzer has struck him out 10 times.
              https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-trout-...025508399.html

There's a ballplayer for you. The best at-bat he ever had wasn't some 500 ft HR. It was one when he had to struggle to get a walk.
              Last edited by Stolensingle; 05-18-2020, 03:31 AM.

Comment

In Baseball-Reference's 2020 simulated season Trout is currently on pace for:
                .288/.433/.622
                137 runs
                54 home runs
                115 RBI
                144 walks
                18 stolen bases
                9.4 WAR

One can only dream....
                Do they have simulated steroids, or is the ball still juiced in the simulation?

Comment

• Originally posted by willshad View Post

Do they have simulated steroids, or is the ball still juiced in the simulation?
                  I don't know about steroids but I assume the ball is juiced.

Trout did hit 45 homers last year in 134 games. That's 54 homers per 162. So his simulated numbers thus far are certainly reasonable.
                  Last edited by GiambiJuice; 05-19-2020, 07:20 AM.
                  My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                  2. Barry Bonds
                  3. Ty Cobb
                  4. Ted Williams
                  5. Willie Mays
                  6. Alex Rodriguez
                  7. Hank Aaron
                  8. Honus Wagner
                  9. Lou Gehrig
                  10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Trout definitely changed his game towards more power the last years by higher launch angle and also more pulling the ball. He still isn't a big pull hitter but he went from ow pull rates (mid 30s) to about average (low 40s). His GB rate also went down to a very low 30% the last 3 years and iso went up even though this cost him a bit of babip.k rate also went slightly down which isn't happening a lot when a player at the same time increases power. Walks also up, probably because he gets pitched around more.

2017-19 2012-16

iso: 331 255
                    babip: 321 365
                    pull rate:40.9% 35.6%
                    GB rate: 30.6% 39.6%
                    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Fun fact:

Despite it being only May and MLB not playing a game yet in 2020 Mike Trout has already tied his career high in meaningful late season at bats with zero.
                      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                        Fun fact:

Despite it being only May and MLB not playing a game yet in 2020 Mike Trout has already tied his career high in meaningful late season at bats with zero.
                        lol... Poor fella. I really do feel bad for him. As good as he makes the Angels, all roads lead to and from him, and one player, even one of his incredible calibre, does not a championship make.

Ruth might've built a house, but he still needed the rest of the Yankees to be inside it.
                        Put it in the books.

Comment

• Trout rookie card ties a record, sells for $900K:

The highest item in the first session of items belongs to a baseball player, the Los Angeles Angels’ Mike Trout. A signed rookie chrome refractor card from 2009 sold for $900,000. There are only five copies of the card, per Beckett, and it sold for $400,000 a full year ago.

The card has a gem mint rating of 9.5 and a signature rating of 10, per Beckett Grading.

The new price places it in a tie for most expensive modern sports trading card ever. A Jordan-James card sold for the same price in February.
                          https://sports.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant...132817135.html

2009? He was in A ball then. i guess that's why it's so rare.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                            Fun fact:

Sick burn bro.
                            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                            2. Barry Bonds
                            3. Ty Cobb
                            4. Ted Williams
                            5. Willie Mays
                            6. Alex Rodriguez
                            7. Hank Aaron
                            8. Honus Wagner
                            9. Lou Gehrig
                            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Originally posted by Stolensingle View Post
                              Trout rookie card ties a record, sells for $900K:

https://sports.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant...132817135.html

2009? He was in A ball then. i guess that's why it's so rare.
                              I think it's silly to consider this to be a "rookie card" since it wasn't massed produced and not made available to the general public.
                              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Trout has been in the league almost ten full seasons and hasn’t had a single memorable moment.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X