Mike Trout is at it again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by walter sobchak View Post

Thanks or the reply. I understand now. Seems a bit generous to me.

No probs.
    Hypothetically, if Kershaw had been taken out before Trout's at bat and Trout still hit a home run off of the new relief pitcher, the runners on base would be unearned and charged to Kershaw but Trout's run would be earned and charged to the relief pitcher.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• I think it was ridiculous to give Trout the final 2 days off in a 60 game season.

Comment

• Originally posted by massa1177 View Post
        I think it was ridiculous to give Trout the final 2 days off in a 60 game season.
        Couldn't agree more. When the owners were stalling on starting the season, and gradually lowering the number of games, most of the players were complaining that they wanted to play more. So why would you miss any games that you didn't have to? Why wouldn't Trout want to play every day, particularly when he already had four days off for the birth of this son? Fatigue can't possibly be a factor in such a short season.

So he misses a total of seven games, the equivalent of almost twenty in a regular season. He was never going to win the MVP this year, anyway, but any remote chance he did have has been for certain eliminated by missing the last two games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stolensingle View Post

Couldn't agree more. When the owners were stalling on starting the season, and gradually lowering the number of games, most of the players were complaining that they wanted to play more. So why would you miss any games that you didn't have to? Why wouldn't Trout want to play every day, particularly when he already had four days off for the birth of this son? Fatigue can't possibly be a factor in such a short season.

So he misses a total of seven games, the equivalent of almost twenty in a regular season. He was never going to win the MVP this year, anyway, but any remote chance he did have has been for certain eliminated by missing the last two games.
          He had a decent "season" by his standards: .281/.390/.603 168 OPS+.. but yeah a couple more hits/home runs/RBIs/etc. here and there could make or break some milestones in the future.

Comment

• So Trout finishes 5th in the 2020 AL MVP voting, the lowest finish of his career (excluding his cup of coffee in 2011). That's NINE straight years in the top-5. Three 1sts, four 2nds, one 4th, and one 5th.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
              So Trout finishes 5th in the 2020 AL MVP voting, the lowest finish of his career (excluding his cup of coffee in 2011). That's NINE straight years in the top-5. Three 1sts, four 2nds, one 4th, and one 5th.
              And he hasn't played a full season--I mean all, or mostly all, of the games actually scheduled--since 2016.

He missed 4th place by one point, behind a pitcher.

I'm surprised Rendon finished so low. Half the voters didn't even put him in top 10.

Comment

So Trout finishes 5th in the 2020 AL MVP voting, the lowest finish of his career (excluding his cup of coffee in 2011). That's NINE straight years in the top-5. Three 1sts, four 2nds, one 4th, and one 5th.
                So I did some cursory research on this and it appears that no other player in MLB history besides Trout has finished top-5 in MVP voting nine years in a row.

In case you are wondering about some of the big names and their longest streak of top-5 finishes:

Gehrig - 7 top-5 finishes in a row
                Williams - 6 in a row (skipping lost WW2 years)
                Pujols - 6 in a row
                Bonds - 5 in a row (twice)
                Musial - 5 in a row
                Aaron - 4 in a row
                Mantle - 4 in a row
                DiMaggio - 3 in a row
                Griffey Jr. - 3 in a row
                Schmidt - 2 in a row (both were wins)
                Morgan - 2 in a row (both were wins)

...and most shocking of all: The great Willie Mays never finished in the top-5 in MVP voting more than two years in a row!
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

So I did some cursory research on this and it appears that no other player in MLB history besides Trout has finished top-5 in MVP voting nine years in a row.
                  I never would have guessed some of the totals on that list. Injuries played a role in some cases, but then, as I noted, Trout hasn't been completely healthy for several years. This is a testament to his consistency. He never has what would be considered an off year.

most shocking of all: The great Willie Mays never finished in the top-5 in MVP voting more than two years in a row!
                  Somehow, he always managed to get short-changed for awards while he played. In 1956, he was second in fWAR, and finished 17th in MVP voting. I think he holds the record for most times led the league in WAR and didn't win the MVP, nine, as I recall, though I'd have to check.

Comment

In case you are wondering about some of the big names and their longest streak of top-5 finishes:

Gehrig - 7 top-5 finishes in a row
                    Williams - 6 in a row (skipping lost WW2 years)
                    Pujols - 6 in a row
                    Bonds - 5 in a row (twice)
                    Musial - 5 in a row
                    Aaron - 4 in a row
                    Mantle - 4 in a row
                    DiMaggio - 3 in a row
                    Griffey Jr. - 3 in a row
                    Schmidt - 2 in a row (both were wins)
                    Morgan - 2 in a row (both were wins)

...and most shocking of all: The great Willie Mays never finished in the top-5 in MVP voting more than two years in a row!
                    I didn't think to look him up earlier but Yogi Berra matched Gehrig's seven top-5 finishes in a row. In fact, Yogi was in the top-4 in all seven seasons.
                    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 11-14-2020, 04:06 PM.
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Mike Trout documentary.

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Fun fact: Trout has a .299 batting average over his last 299 games, a .440 on-base percentage in his last 440 games, a .610 slugging percentage over his last 610 games, and a 1.020 OPS over his last 1,020 games dating back to May 2013.
                        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Fun fact: Trout has a .299 batting average over his last 299 games, a .440 on-base percentage in his last 440 games, a .610 slugging percentage over his last 610 games, and a 1.020 OPS over his last 1,020 games dating back to May 2013.
                          Okay that's just insane.
                          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post

Okay that's just insane.
                            I'm not sure what's more amazing, the fact that it's all probably true, or the fact that someone actually checked the numbers enough to realize it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by willshad View Post

I'm not sure what's more amazing, the fact that it's all probably true, or the fact that someone actually checked the numbers enough to realize it all.
                              I promise it wasn't me! Just some guy on Twitter.
                              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                              2. Barry Bonds
                              3. Ty Cobb
                              4. Ted Williams
                              5. Willie Mays
                              6. Alex Rodriguez
                              7. Hank Aaron
                              8. Honus Wagner
                              9. Lou Gehrig
                              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• The Angels are off to hot start at 4-1.

Is this the year we'll finally get to see Trout get another crack at the postseason? That would be great for Baseball.
                                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                                2. Barry Bonds
                                3. Ty Cobb
                                4. Ted Williams
                                5. Willie Mays
                                6. Alex Rodriguez
                                7. Hank Aaron
                                8. Honus Wagner
                                9. Lou Gehrig
                                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment