Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-alignment of the MLB? I hope so

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re-alignment of the MLB? I hope so

    Here I am sitting and looking at the standings on mlb.com. What stands out? Yes, the obvious eye sore, the NL Central.

    How do we even out this 'oddity' of four teams in the A.L. west, and 6 in the N.L Central?

    Simple solution, move the Astros to the N.L. West, and move the Dbacks to the A.L west.

    There can be many other combinations or possibilities, but I found this one to be the most fitting. What do you think? Will it happen anytime soon? Is this a good idea? Share your thoughts, thanks.
    98 years of futility and counting...

  • #2
    Originally posted by CubBlue
    Simple solution, move the Astros to the N.L. West, and move the Dbacks to the A.L west.
    Nope.. Not going to happen.

    Houston lies in the Central time zone and the Dbacks are past the 5 year limit. They will NOT readily agree to relocate to the AL West. People east of the Mississippi may not realize it, but in their short history, the Dbacks have already established strong rivalries with the Giants, Dodgers, and Padres and already have represented the National League to win a World Series. For economic reasons the Dbacks organization would (and already have) strongly opposed any murmurings about relocating to the AL.

    You can make an easier case for relocating the Rockies (who have yet to really develop a rivalry with anyone) or for the Brewers (who started out in the AL)
    John

    Stan Musial Pages
    CultureDose Media Reviews

    Comment


    • #3
      I realise that Houston is in the Central timezone, however, if you look at the Texas rangers, what do you say then?

      I would agree, the Rockies or the Dbacks, I only mentioned the Dbacks because they are a newer franchise, and I was trying to be "fair" to Colorodo. You do bring up valid points of Dbacks being in the world Series. You must realise that a compromise needs to be made, if the Rangers can be in the AL West, surely the 'stros can be in the NL west.

      If you dont agree, who should move? I find this unfair and really only because we are the only division with six, and the one with 4 to me just is not right, if there can be balance, why not go for it? What do you suggest?
      98 years of futility and counting...

      Comment


      • #4
        Obviously, MLB is NOT going to consult this board for any realignment decisions.

        What you are also overlooking is the unbalanced league situation. With 30 teams, MLB is NOT apt to place 15 teams in each league unless a total blending takes place and much more interleague play.

        That's not going to fly. The numbers dictate that one league is going to have 14 teams while the other has 16.

        Bud tried dropping the contraction item a while back that would have balanced both leagues at 14 teams, but that was completely shot down.
        John

        Stan Musial Pages
        CultureDose Media Reviews

        Comment


        • #5
          Before I reply, I have to tell you my other reason why I didnt mention the Rockies. Moving Colorado, with their hitter friendly park to the A.L. would be HELL for the pitchers. The D.H. in the A.L simply wouldnt be fair to Colorado. Its not like theyre rich like the Yanks or Cubs and can get any pitcher on their team.

          Now, as far 15 teams in each league not being able work, it doesnt make sense or add up. How so? AT LEAST, they will be in EQUAL situation with 15 teams each and im sure they can work out any difference (which I dont see you havent showed me whats wrong or why it wouldnt work)

          Its bad enough theres a DH in AL and none in the NL, and theres 14 teams in one league and 16 the other...this is absurd, its as if its two different sports. No other sport has different rules for their league AND a team imbalance...whatever your reasoning for why the 15-15 team is no good, sure BEATS the 14-16 situation any day, and that is, because it is fair and BALANCED.

          ALSO, any sport that had a team imbalance ALWAYS worked toward FIXING that by equalizing the divisions, look at football and basketball for examples. I dont see baseball moving toward this goal, as if theyre content with the way it is. Baseball IMO loses credibility with this situation, even though its supposedly americas "pasttime"
          Last edited by CubBlue; 04-28-2005, 01:08 AM.
          98 years of futility and counting...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CubBlue
            Before I reply, I have to tell you my other reason why I didnt mention the Rockies. Moving Colorado, with their hitter friendly park to the A.L. would be HELL for the pitchers. The D.H. in the A.L simply wouldnt be fair to Colorado. Its not like theyre rich like the Yanks or Cubs and can get any pitcher on their team.

            Now, as far 15 teams in each league not being able work, it doesnt make sense or add up. How so? AT LEAST, they will be in EQUAL situation with 15 teams each and im sure they can work out any difference (which I dont see you havent showed me whats wrong or why it wouldnt work)

            Its bad enough theres a DH in AL and none in the NL, and theres 14 teams in one league and 16 the other...this is absurd, its as if its two different sports. No other sport has different rules for their league AND a team imbalance...whatever your reasoning for why the 15-15 team is no good, sure BEATS the 14-16 situation any day, and that is, because it is fair and BALANCED.

            ALSO, any sport that had a team imbalance ALWAYS worked toward FIXING that by equalizing the divisions, look at football and basketball for examples. I dont see baseball moving toward this goal, as if theyre content with the way it is. Baseball IMO loses credibility with this situation, even though its supposedly americas "pasttime"
            In Baseball, except during interleague play, the leagues do not comingle. Having an odd number of teams in each league would cause an interleague game virtually everyday. That would be a scheduling nightmare. Until MLB expands two more teams (not likely for at least a decade) the current alignment will continue to exist.
            http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bluesteve32
              In Baseball, except during interleague play, the leagues do not comingle. Having an odd number of teams in each league would cause an interleague game virtually everyday. That would be a scheduling nightmare. Until MLB expands two more teams (not likely for at least a decade) the current alignment will continue to exist.
              Exactly it, same reason they moved Milwaukee to the NL. Two more teams, two less teams, or its 16/14 for a while.
              "From reading some of your other posts your to much of a jerk, who thinks he's funny to debate on any thread. Just wanted to let you know what i and im sure others think of your mostly stupid posts..."

              Comment


              • #8
                A couple of thoughts.

                1. The Brewers and Pirates don't count as teams, so the NL Central has only 4 "real" teams.

                2. The Rangers are dumb for being the AL West and their fans constantly complain about the time zone issues.

                3. Long Term, the answer is to have either 28 teams or 32 teams like the NFL.

                4. The NL Central has been just fine the last several years, so I don't see the need to rush to a fix.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rsturgis
                  A couple of thoughts.

                  1. The Brewers and Pirates don't count as teams, so the NL Central has only 4 "real" teams.
                  That's kind of stupid to say, I think the Astros would disagree after being swept by an unreal team.
                  "From reading some of your other posts your to much of a jerk, who thinks he's funny to debate on any thread. Just wanted to let you know what i and im sure others think of your mostly stupid posts..."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I say we contract the White Sox!! Just kidding...but not really.

                    I'm all for interleague play. It seems to work out fine for the NFL, which is a fantastic sporting league. I'd like to see a lot more of interleague play in baseball, so I have to agree that each league should have an equal amount of teams. But it's hard to win a fight with baseball "purists", so this will be my only effort to champion this great cause.

                    BTW, welcome to the boards CubBlue. Keep up the good work.
                    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by racosun
                      I'm all for interleague play. It seems to work out fine for the NFL, which is a fantastic sporting league. I'd like to see a lot more of interleague play in baseball, so I have to agree that each league should have an equal amount of teams. But it's hard to win a fight with baseball "purists", so this will be my only effort to champion this great cause.
                      I'm one of the biggest purists ever, but I agree with you 100%. Have everybody play a series against everybody else at least once, home or away.
                      "From reading some of your other posts your to much of a jerk, who thinks he's funny to debate on any thread. Just wanted to let you know what i and im sure others think of your mostly stupid posts..."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Interleague play

                        One reason I'd like to see a lot more interleague play is the HOF. Players are given entrance to this great hall because of how they played against their contemporaries. Having two separate leagues that don't play against each other very often takes away from the true greats of the game, who often don't get an opportunity to play against the other league's HOF-calibur players enough. I'd like to see more Mark Prior versus A-Rod matchups, and so on and so forth.
                        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bleacherbee
                          Exactly it, same reason they moved Milwaukee to the NL. Two more teams, two less teams, or its 16/14 for a while.
                          Milwaukee has been in two leagues, two cities, and four divisions since its inception. First the Seattle Pilots in the AL West and after the move to Milwaukee remained for two season in the AL West. After the Senators moved to Texas, the Brewers moved to the AL East and after the three Division configuration, became part of the AL Central. After the switch to the NL, they went to the NL Central.

                          Thanks Bud.
                          http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bleacherbee
                            I'm one of the biggest purists ever, but I agree with you 100%. Have everybody play a series against everybody else at least once, home or away.
                            Thanks, but I was hoping you were agreeing to the "contract the Sox" statement. But, seeing as you are a Tigers fan like me, I'm sure you already have those feelings (especially this year).
                            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by racosun
                              One reason I'd like to see a lot more interleague play is the HOF. Players are given entrance to this great hall because of how they played against their contemporaries. Having two separate leagues that don't play against each other very often takes away from the true greats of the game, who often don't get an opportunity to play against the other league's HOF-calibur players enough. I'd like to see more Mark Prior versus A-Rod matchups, and so on and so forth.
                              Another reason is that there is no reason why there are still three teams that I've never seen.

                              I've been to nearly 1,000 major league games but I've still NEVER seen the Expos/Nationals, Padres or Giants. There's no reason for that.

                              Of course, that's a selfish reason
                              "From reading some of your other posts your to much of a jerk, who thinks he's funny to debate on any thread. Just wanted to let you know what i and im sure others think of your mostly stupid posts..."

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X