Selig Tenure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selig Tenure

Has Bud Selig's tenure as commissioner, so far, been a success, failure or disappointment?
    Success
    4.48%
    Disappointment
    40.30%
    Failure
    47.76%
    Too early to tell
    7.46%

I think it's too early to say "failure." I voted for "disappointment," but even there I'm a bit torn because I never expected him to be competent in the first place!
    I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Comment

I'd say a dissappointment so far, but could easily fall into failure as any moment.
      http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

Personally I think its too early to tell... While Selig has done some dumb things, such as making the All-Star game winner have home field advantage, he also was the first commish to agree on terms with players and owners to prevent a strike/lock out... and the tie in the all-star game doesnt really bother me either, I know if I were a fan of the team whos pitchers would of been forced to pitch 4 or 5 innings, then one of them got hurt, I would of been very angry

Comment

I was angry about it, but the All-Star Game fiasco doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, unless you paid for a ticket that is. Selig's legacy will be the wild card. Say what you will about the decade of it's innaguration, but the wild card concept being applied to baseball was brilliant. A league with as many teams as the MLB needed more playoff spots, because so many teams were out of contention early on. I don't like how he handles labor, but implementing the Wild Card was great.
          Check out the two-man Rockies blogatron at www.rockiesdr.blogspot.com.

Sam

Comment

An absolute and utter disaster, failure is too kind

Originally posted by Astro
            Personally I think its too early to tell..., he also was the first commish to agree on terms with players and owners to prevent a strike/lock out...
            Whoa! What? Bug Selig was the Commissioner in 1994 who set the deadline of Sept. 9 to cancel the remainder of the season, effectively locking out MLB players, and you don't remember this? He was still the owner of the Brewers and borrowed (against MLB rules) a boatload of money from Pohlad to stay afloat. Gad, how short people's memories are; don't you recall his contraction threats that were designed to profit his and one other owner's teams? Have you no recollection of his conspiratorial efforts that resulted in the demise of MLB in Montreal? Doesn't anyone else know he couldn't compete with Minnesota in the AL, so he had the Brewers jump leagues? The current abomination of interleague play was whelped during his tenure, as well as the forementioned All-Star lunacy. His leadership is akin to a legless sheep and his unmitigated disregard for the spirit of the sport is unprecedented. He is, and always will be, the owners' puppet, and his legacy is likely to be known as the steroid commish. Yet, some people don't see him as an imbecilic failure? Does that make success the ability to walk and chew gum without falling down more than twice in ten steps? :noidea
            Last edited by trosmok; 06-21-2005, 01:10 PM.
            Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Originally posted by trosmok
              Whoa! What? Bug Selig was the Commissioner in 1994 who set the deadline of Sept. 9 to cancel the remainder of the season, effectively locking out MLB players, and you don't remember this? He was still the owner of the Brewers and borrowed (against MLB rules) a boatload of money from Pohlad to stay afloat. Gad, how short people's memories are; don't you recall his contraction threats that were designed to profit his and one other owner's teams? Have you no recollection of his conspiratorial efforts that resulted in the demise of MLB in Montreal? Doesn't anyone else know he couldn't compete with Minnesota in the AL, so he had the Brewers jump leagues? The current abomination of interleague play was whelped during his tenure, as well as the forementioned All-Star lunacy. His leadership is akin to a legless sheep and his unmitigated disregard for the spirit of the sport is unprecedented. He is, and always will be, the owners' puppet, and his legacy is likely to be known as the steroid commish. Yet, some people don't see him as an imbecilic failure? Does that make success the ability to walk and chew gum without falling down more than twice in ten steps? :noidea
              I agree with you but you also forgot he was up for tax evasion in the 1970's because of his used car dealerships.....No one can say how much money he has screwed Major League Baseball, The city of Milwaukee, The state of Wisconsin, and the American People out of.

Comment

I dont care what Selig did as an owner, I'm talking about as a commish... he has done some dumb stuff, but he has did somethings right so to call him a complete failure isnt very fair, IMO anyway

Comment

Can't even cheat right

Yup, he was well known around Milwaukee as an unsuccessful used car dealer, if you can imagine such a thing. (Kind of like an honest politician) His whining about how dire the financial straits major league ballclubs were three years ago leads one to believe there really are at least two sets of books, and some rather creative bookeeping going on to this day in Bug's office. The worst of it is that Selig actually thinks he is doing a great job of stewarding our sport. Like my late hero Dr. M.L. King once said: "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Comment

Umm, he's been an owner until just last December...

Originally posted by Astro
                    I dont care what Selig did as an owner, I'm talking about as a commish... he has done some dumb stuff, but he has did somethings right so to call him a complete failure isnt very fair, IMO anyway
                    OK, name one thing "he has did somethings right.." (sic)

Comment

Prevented a player strike

Comment

I want to respond in this thread but just can't seem to gather all my loose thoughts on this man. For now, I'll just say this.......

GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
                        Strike 3 Forums/NFL Forums

Comment

Disappointment and well on his way to failure.

Comment

TOO EARLY TO TELL?????

Bud the Slug has had 12 YEARS to prove himself.

IMHO, over those 12 years Selig have been nothing but a blight on MLB!

Let's see, player lockout, Expos conspiracy, all-star game fiasco, that brilliant idea of having the Expos play games in PR. His "deal " with Lyin' Loria re Marlins. Moving the Expos without a new owner.

Yes, folks, the hits just keep on comin'!

One can only hope the rest of his tenure, (does it really go until 2009?) will go by very quickly without him making anymore assinine decisions.

Oh, and by the way. Very well put, trosmok
                            CBk Oldtimer #16 now #29

Comment

Torn between disappointment and failure, but I expected him to be as incompetent and act like the owner's puppet pretty much the way he's demonstrated...so edge goes to failure

John

Stan Musial Pages
                              CultureDose Media Reviews

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X