Strat-O-Matic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat-O-Matic

I'm young and I have heard of Strat-O-Matic, but I'm not sure exactly what it is or how to play it. Could anyone explain it to me?

--StratO was one of the first, and for a long time the leader, amoung baseball simulations. When I was your age it was a game with player cards, dice and a few charts. I spent many an hour playing it and thought it was the next best thing to the real thing.
    --You can still get the board game, but like everybody else they are primarily a computer simulation (last season or past seasons). There are a number of newer simulations who have surpassed Strato in that arena. They just aren't doing cutting edge work. After 30 years as a StratO player I've switched to DiamondMind and don't imagine I'll ever switch back, except perhaps for nostagia if I were to get to know someone who enjoyed the old table version.

Comment

statis pro baseball game

When i was alot younger i liked to play statis pro baseball from Avalon hill. they stopped making the game around 1992 or 1993.i t was a good game. to bad they stopped making it. another good game i have been told is sherco granslam baseball. in the game the stadium you are playing in determines the out come of the game were as other games the stadium does not come into play. sherco is still being sold on ebay with the old stadium charts like the polo grounds, ebbets field, crosley field and the other classic ballparks. Donald
      LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

SOM was the game I cut my baseball game playing teeth on. Spent many, many hours with the game. Basically, the player cards are derived using a player's season stats. There are many, many old timer teams, as well as the most recent years'. There are cards for position players, with columns numbered 1,2, 3 and 11 result possibilities for each column. Results are numbered 2 thru 12. There are cards for pitchers, with three columns numbered 4,5,6. Again, each column has 11 possible results, numbered 2 thru 12. You use three dice, one white, two red. If the white die comes up 1,2 or 3, you look in that column, combine the red dice to obtain a number 2 thru 12, and read the result. If the white die comes up 4,5 or 6, you look at the opposing team's pitcher card, again combining the red dice to obtain the correct result. As Mark mentioned, there are additional charts you refer to upon occasion. The cards have a basic and an advanced side. You can learn on the basic version, and add as many or as few advanced features as you want as you go along. The advanced side breaks the players down further into vs right and vs left sides. The game is very easy to learn and a lot of fun.

As far as the computer version goes, I have played it and like it, but really haven't compared it to anything other than Out of the Park 6, which is a totally different type of game. So I can't comment on how it compares to Diamond Mind. SOM has a web site, check it out . Click on products, then scroll down to Enter Online Store.
        You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

personally, I have played Strat-o-matic since the 80's and have enjoyed it immensely. I would rather play cards and dice as opposed to computer, but I admit you can play more games on the computer. I just received their '57 season cards. I like the idea that I can go back in time and play with players long gone, but idolized by my father.

Comment

tumbling dice

I'm sure i am dating myself from long-ago,and even though i cut my teeth on APBA baseball,I have played many card-versions of Strat games,Basketball,and Hockey for 2.I guess the point is,that the card games,in any genre,are like a game on "radio",and the computer games are like on "tv".Free time at my age is at a premium,but i can vouch for how fun those games were,back in the day.

Comment

They still make Strat-O-Matic and APBA today. I saw the latest version(2004 stats) at Chicago's Water Tower Place last year.

They even have it updated where you can upload the software on your computer for Strat-O-Matic.

Comment

Yeah, I still get the flyers for the new cards every year. Haven't bought any in quite a while. I've gotten into Out of the Park and away from Strat. Rather sad in a way, since I grew up with Strat and spent many enjoyable evenings playing with the cards and dice!
                You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

New Cards

Hi e-1,(Just recalling my favorite memories,when the box of cards,arrived in the mail,usually well in advance of spring-training,i would love to break open that fresh-printed box,then it was the norm to buy the first few baseball reviews and either make "winter-transactions"or replay a team from the pevious season.(Just 2 remind e-1 how old,i am this was way before computers,spreadsheets,et.al)also meant buying some/many notebooks,and getting stats in them..(Again,from APBA,always loved to see the New Pitcher ratings for the year,also bought lots of old-timer sets,after all these yrs,still was great to take the game on the poarch,tune tv/radio on,and roll the dice.

Comment

Go with The Best- Strat-O-Matic Baseball

If you enjoy the idea of playing a board game, then Strat-O-Matic Baseball, in my opinion, is unparalleled in the realm of simulated baseball. I've played APBA, Sports Illustrated, All-Star Baseball and Dynasty League (which is the off-shoot of Pursue The Pennant). Dynasty is the only one that is on par with Strat as far as realism but when it comes to "playability" Strat is less cluttered and the results are faster and easier to come by.
                    If you have the opportunity, read the January 13, 2006 article in the New York Times. Trip Hawkins, the founder of EA Sports (Madden and all of those) still regularly plays Strat.
                    By the way, leecemark has it wrong when he states that "like everybody else they (Strat) are primarily a computer simulation" The Times article verifies that "the old-fashioned version is still its biggest seller.
                    I haven't tried other computer versions of Baseball Sims other than Strat but you might want to consider weighing your decision by reading this article before making your determination:
                    http://www.strat-o-matic.com/whyplay.htm

I've been playing Strat for 28 seasons and one of the concerns in our gaming community is that younger generations who love baseball have no idea on what they're missing out on. Every youngster I've introduced the game to have all responded favorably to the game. Unfortunately, Strats greatest weakness is its lack of advertising of their own great product.
                    As their old magazine ads used to say: "Here is your seasons pass to hundreds of Big League ballgames". You won't be dissapointed.

Comment

I remember a game from my childhood that we used to play all the time was a dice and sheet game from the Sporting News, I believe. Been a long time, so not sure if I got the manufacturer right. We had team sheets from the 1971 season. These listed the batters on one side and the starting and relief pitchers on the other side. You kept score like an actual baseball scorekeeper would. The pitcher would roll the dice first, whatever number the dice totalled, you went to that corresponding box. It went from 12 to 39 for the numbers. A blue box would represent an automatic K for the batter up. A green box would allow the batter to "swing" (roll their dice) then match up whatever was in that corresponding box. The total amount of things that could happen in those boxes went off The player's actual stats for 1971. For example, Willie Stargill had more HR boxes then say Matty Alou. The scenarios in the boxes ranged from anything that the actual player was prone to do: sac fly, K, DP, 2b, etc.

The cool thing was that you set your own line ups. My brother and I were such geeks about this game that we would make up leagues (we would each run 3 or 4 teams). We kept track of season stats, and had our own stat leader board. We had pitcher rotations set and everything. Many, many hours of our young lives were taken up by this game. The only bad part about the game was fighting over who got the Oakland A's, of course, the "loser" always picked up the Baltimore Orioles The real funny thing is that even all these years later, I can still remember some of my lineups and even that one of Willie Stargill's HR numbers was 35
                      "It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon playing golf." - Hank Aaron

Comment

I dont know why this made me think of it, but when i was a kid, my cousin and a couple of friends would play our own baseball game. What we would do was write on a torn piece of paper an "X" for outs, then a few S, D, T, HR, Walk, HBP, SOE, DP. Then put them all in a bowl and pick our team. Then draw from the bowl to see what our player did at that at bat. We would play a whole game that way. Wierd? Maybe, but back then, it was a lot of fun.
                        Image hosting by Photobucket

Comment

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread.

I played Avalon Hill's Statis-Pro Baseball in the 80s, and it was most cool. Today I play Strat-O-Matic on my PC, and I love it. The computer AI is impressive, and one game takes about 10 minutes. A full season, and most of the players do indeed perform very close to their real-life stats, unless I make an effort for a certain player to do something unusual.

I also play S-O-M Football, which is every bit as good; Basketball and Hockey, which are both pretty neat, although most of the decision are decision the players make on the court/ice, rather than coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Timbo
                            personally, I have played Strat-o-matic since the 80's and have enjoyed it immensely. I would rather play cards and dice as opposed to computer, but I admit you can play more games on the computer. I just received their '57 season cards. I like the idea that I can go back in time and play with players long gone, but idolized by my father.
                            I played out the entire 1957 season on Dynasty League Baseball and the results were interesting. I generally used the same lineups that the real teams used for each date that I played. It was intersting seeing how my races played out compared to the real races.

Comment

Strat nut

Hey numbers, I play Strat all the time. I've played several others (and enjoyed them) but keep coming back to Strat. I play C&D, but have also played the computer. It's great for keeping stats and quick play but holding those cards and making your own lineups, it's awesome. I play a lot of tournaments, usually in bracket style. Really enjoy cross era games or replaying last year's series and playoffs. You'll enjoy it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X