Strat-O-Matic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strat-O-Matic

For us older guys that remember the card game,It was an addiction. I actually played in leagues every friday night with 3 other guys,every friday night and we were in our thirties. Even Snow storms didn't stop us.We even played the night that one of the guys wives delivered a baby!(She told him to go.) If you're a stats freak,it's a great way to learn about the history of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
      For us older guys that remember the card game,It was an addiction. I actually played in leagues every friday night with 3 other guys,every friday night and we were in our thirties. Even Snow storms didn't stop us.We even played the night that one of the guys wives delivered a baby!(She told him to go.) If you're a stats freak,it's a great way to learn about the history of the game.
      That guy's wife have any single sisters?

I too enjoy Strat tremendously. In fact I'm in the beginning of an All-Time retro league that started in 1901. We've played the first 4 seasons so far and it's been a blast. I got to know alot of the players I'd never even heard about and learned alot more about how good some of the others are. We just started our 1905 draft and the #1 pick was Ty Cobb......needless to say this guy is set at one of the outfield positions for the next 20 years. Upcoming drafts have Eddie Collins, Tris Speaker, Walter Johnson to name a few.

Our league just lost 2 players and we're looking for replacements. If any of you have a rich baseball history and a love of strat shoot me a message and I can get you some information.

You don't even need the individual seasons as the commisioner auto-plays all the games based upon a Computer Manager you set up for each block of games.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
        I'm young and I have heard of Strat-O-Matic, but I'm not sure exactly what it is or how to play it. Could anyone explain it to me?
        Here's some info about Strat-O-Matic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strat-O-Matic

http://www.strat-o-matic.com

I played both Strat-O-Matic baseball and football when I was a kid, it was great fun. We had full leagues and schedules, and kept detailed stats and records.

Comment

I have been playing Strat-O-Matic on and off for about 30+ years. I recently bought the 1955 Season and am attempting to replay the Brooklyn Dodgers schedule.

Although Strat now puts out a computer version, I refuse to play that version and have stuck with the old table top version. To me, the table top version is more realistic, interesting and enjoyable.

Strat still produces the player cards every year, + old time seasons and teams for it's still popular and in my opinion uncomparable table top version.

True story : I coach my daughter's softball team and this past season the manager of the team asked the girls if anyone knew how to keep the scorebook. My daughter was the ONLY one who could do it. When the manager asked her how she learned to keep a scorebook, she replied " from playing Strat-O-Matic baseball with my dad."

I've even created a 'Feild Of Dreams' for my Strat-O-Matic Table Game :

Dem Bums
          Last edited by Dem Bums; 07-04-2006, 06:45 AM.
          "We wept, Brooklyn was a lovely place to hit. If you got a ball in the air, you had a chance to get it out. When they tore down Ebbets Field, they tore down a little piece of me." - The Duke Of Flatbush

Comment

Originally posted by Dem Bums
            Although Strat now puts out a computer version, I refuse to play that version and have stuck with the old table top version. To me, the table top version is more realistic, interesting and enjoyable.

Strat still produces the player cards every year, + old time seasons and teams for it's still popular and in my opinion uncomparable table top version.

True story : I coach my daughter's softball team and this past season the manager of the team asked the girls if anyone knew how to keep the scorebook. My daughter was the ONLY one who could do it. When the manager asked her how she learned to keep a scorebook, she replied " from playing Strat-O-Matic baseball with my dad."
            Right on about the table top version, it just wouldn't be the same on the computer.

Cool story about your daughter!! When I was a kid, I thought for sure I'd go into a career of sports statistics with the Elias Sports Bureau because of all the detailed stats I always kept of our Strat-O-Matic leagues.

Comment

I grew up playing Strat-o-matic baseball and football table games and loved them.Even as an adult with a lot less time on his hands, I wouldn't mind having the game again.
              I didn't realize they have come out with full season teams from yesteryear. It might be fun to play some of those teams from the 50's.

The descriptions of how the game worked given above are very accurate.

Thanks for giving me a fond flashback.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
              Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Another gamer who cut my teeth on STrat. Actually, started on Ethan Allen All Star Baseball with the disks that fit over the spinner, but once I found Strat I never looked back. Have been playing computer games recently, Out of the Park and Diamond Mind, but still have my old Strat teams (well over 200). Computer games make it so easy to play in on-line leagues; I'm in two DM baseball leagues, and really enjoying it. Almost brings back the experience of the few times I had someone to play Strat with face to face. But Strat was a HUGE part of my growing years and will forever hold a place in my heart - kind of like a first love!

BTW, you know if use the computer game, you can still have it "roll" dice and use the cards, if you prefer.
                You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

Originally posted by BadKarma
                  I remember a game from my childhood that we used to play all the time was a dice and sheet game from the Sporting News, I believe. Been a long time, so not sure if I got the manufacturer right. We had team sheets from the 1971 season. These listed the batters on one side and the starting and relief pitchers on the other side. You kept score like an actual baseball scorekeeper would. The pitcher would roll the dice first, whatever number the dice totalled, you went to that corresponding box. It went from 12 to 39 for the numbers. A blue box would represent an automatic K for the batter up. A green box would allow the batter to "swing" (roll their dice) then match up whatever was in that corresponding box. The total amount of things that could happen in those boxes went off The player's actual stats for 1971. For example, Willie Stargill had more HR boxes then say Matty Alou. The scenarios in the boxes ranged from anything that the actual player was prone to do: sac fly, K, DP, 2b, etc.

The cool thing was that you set your own line ups. My brother and I were such geeks about this game that we would make up leagues (we would each run 3 or 4 teams). We kept track of season stats, and had our own stat leader board. We had pitcher rotations set and everything. Many, many hours of our young lives were taken up by this game. The only bad part about the game was fighting over who got the Oakland A's, of course, the "loser" always picked up the Baltimore Orioles The real funny thing is that even all these years later, I can still remember some of my lineups and even that one of Willie Stargill's HR numbers was 35
                  Emphasis mine.

I thought I was the only person in the world crazy enough to do something like that. I didn't have any of the board games, so I set up a baseball game using a deck of cards. Set up a league with eight teams and a 140-game season, kept all the stats (by hand - no calculator, even) and put them in a notebook. Fascinating.

Then, when we got our first computer in the late '70s, I built a BASIC program that randomized the deck so it would be shuffled after each card was drawn. I obtained stats from a major league season and tweaked the code to give the outcome a closer approximation to actual stats. Never did much with it until after I retired, but now I'm running two leagues, one with the original code and one with the tweaked code. I still derive a lot of pleasure from that.
                  Last edited by johnph77; 07-14-2006, 04:19 PM.
                  Blessed St. Liebowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there.

Comment

That's hard-core, Dem Bums. Nice!

Comment

I never played the card version but I've played the computer version for several years now and I'm very much addicted to it.

It's still run by a small group who are dedicatd to the game and to the quality of its realism. It's not just a branch of some video game conglomerate.

If you're looking for a Playstation game with graphics then this is not for you.

If you want to match up the 1927 Yankees with the 1998 Yankees then this is where you go.

My favorite thing to do in Stat is create an all time legends league. I use the Hall of Fame disk(which contains 2000 HOFers with their 7 best years averaged) along with other all stars throughout the years and set up a 30 team draft.

Comment

I started out playing APBA in the late 70s. I played APBA for about 20 years (switching to computer in the mid 80s). I lost interest for a few years but for some reason I decided to give SOM a try earlier this year. I got hooked again! I live in an isolated area where interest isn't very high in baseball. So playing SOM on the net has really been the way to go.

I'm in a 1954 retro league (which by the way is looking for a manager) and just started in a 1962 retro league. Lots of fun!!!

Comment

I was a kid in the 60's and played this game for countless hours with my big brother, Tom. Mostly because of this game, me and my brother Tom formed a bond that has transcended decades.

To this day, we both deliver a knowing wink and grin whenever either of us mentions the word "Strat-O-Matic".

I haven't played this game since 1970. I just now started thinking about it again, and I'm wondering about online Strat-O-Matic, mostly because I dont have any friends anymore who would be interested. Anyone have any experience/opinions with the online game?

Comment

I just started playing Statis Pro Baseball recently. It's a really fun game.

Avalon Hill no longer sells the game, but various people sell seasons for the game or variants, usually more advanced, of the game. Also, there are some seasons and charts available for download for free.

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
                            When i was alot younger i liked to play statis pro baseball from Avalon hill. they stopped making the game around 1992 or 1993.i t was a good game. to bad they stopped making it. another good game i have been told is sherco granslam baseball. in the game the stadium you are playing in determines the out come of the game were as other games the stadium does not come into play. sherco is still being sold on ebay with the old stadium charts like the polo grounds, ebbets field, crosley field and the other classic ballparks. Donald

Comment

I'm also looking for players for a strat league if anyone's interested

Comment

my 1953 Strat replay so far.......NL

Code:
                                LEAGUE STANDINGS FOR 1953 National League

WON LOST  PCT   GB  MAGIC#   ACTWON ACTLOST ACTPCT
                                1953 Brooklyn BRO            77  31  .713 ----    38        105      49   .682
                                1953 Milwaukee MIL           67  40  .626  9.5               92      62   .597
                                1953 St. Louis STL           63  46  .578 14.5               83      71   .539
                                1953 New York NYG            52  56  .481 25.0               70      84   .455
                                1953 Cincinnati CIN          52  58  .473 26.0               68      86   .442
                                1953 Philadelphia PHI        45  57  .441 29.0               83      71   .539
                                1953 Chicago CHI             39  63  .382 35.0               65      89   .422
                                1953 Pittsburgh PIT          32  76  .296 45.0               50     104   .325

OVERALL RECORD
                                Team   WON LOST   PCT  HOME  ROAD  LEFT RIGHT EXTRA 1-RUN   LAST 10   STREAK
                                BRO     77   31  .713 41-15 36-16 25-15 52-16  7- 4 19- 9     9-1     Lost 1
                                CHI     39   63  .382 17-31 22-32 14-27 25-36  5- 1 11-15     3-7     Won 1
                                CIN     52   58  .473 21-32 31-26 12-17 40-41  4- 9 14-14     6-4     Lost 1
                                MIL     67   40  .626 39-20 28-20 19-17 48-23  4- 2 17-12     7-3     Won 1
                                NYG     52   56  .481 26-23 26-33 18-27 34-29  7- 2 17-13     2-8     Lost 2
                                PHI     45   57  .441 27-25 18-32 18-21 27-36  4- 6 16-25     4-6     Won 1
                                PIT     32   76  .296 21-36 11-40 11-32 21-44  5- 8 13-14     4-6     Lost 1
                                STL     63   46  .578 33-20 30-26 15-14 48-32  3- 7 14-19     6-4     Won 2
                                TOTAL  427  427  .500

TEAM   -APRIL   MAY  JUNE  JULY   AUG SEPT+
                                BRO     13- 4 23- 6 15-13 23- 7  3- 1  0- 0 
                                CHI      9-11 15-13  7-17  7-20  1- 2  0- 0 
                                CIN      5-15 17-14 15-14 13-14  2- 1  0- 0 
                                MIL     13- 8 16-10 21- 9 15-12  2- 1  0- 0 
                                NYG     11-10 14-15 14-13 12-16  1- 2  0- 0 
                                PHI     11- 7  9-20 13- 9 11-18  1- 3  0- 0 
                                PIT      6-14  6-24  9-18 10-18  1- 2  0- 0 
                                STL     11-10 15-13 13-14 22- 8  2- 1  0- 0 

WINS ARE ACROSS, LOSSES ARE DOWN:

TEAM BRO CHI CIN MIL NYG PHI PIT STL
                                BRO   -  12  10  10  13  12  13   7
                                CHI   2   -   7   2   7   7   8   6
                                CIN   4  11   -   5   5   4  14   9
                                MIL   8  12  13   -   9   8  10   7
                                NYG   5   5   9   5   -  11  11   6
                                PHI   4   3  10   4   7   -   9   8
                                PIT   1   8   4   8   3   5   -   3
                                STL   7  12   5   6  12  10  11   -

ยท	Go to Strat-O-Matic Homepage
                                you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                                http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X