X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1946 Spring Training Game

Code:
    BOXSCORE: 1946 Philadelphia Phillies At 1946 Brooklyn Dodgers

Phillies                 AB  R  H RBI   Dodgers                  AB  R  H RBI
      J.Wyrostek CF             2  1  1  0    A.Galan LF                3  2  3  1 
      S.Newsome SS              5  0  1  0    E.Stanky 2B               5  0  1  0 
      D.Ennis LF                5  1  1  2    D.Walker RF               3  2  1  0 
      R.Northey RF              2  0  0  0    P.Reiser CF               4  1  0  2 
      A.Seminick C              3  1  1  0    E.Stevens 1B              5  2  2  4 
      F.McCormick 1B            4  0  0  0    P.Reese SS                4  1  1  1 
      J.Tabor 3B                4  0  1  0    C.Lavagetto 3B            4  1  1  2 
      E.Verban 2B               4  0  1  1    B.Edwards C               3  1  0  0 
      B.Donnelly P              2  0  0  0    K.Higbe P                 4  1  2  0 
      C.Schanz P                0  0  0  0                                         
    A-V.Dinges PH               1  0  0  0                                         
                               -- -- -- ---                            -- -- -- ---
             Totals            32  3  6  3           Totals            35 11 11 10

A-Pinch Hit For Schanz In 9th Inning

Phillies........ 2 0 0  1 0 0  0 0 0  -  3  6  2
    Dodgers......... 0 3 1  1 0 5  1 0    - 11 11  0

Phillies                 IP       H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR
    B.Donnelly LOSS           6      11  11   9   6   4   1
    C.Schanz                  2       0   0   0   0   0   0
    Totals                    8      11  11   9   6   4   1

Dodgers                  IP       H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR
    K.Higbe WIN               9       6   3   3   5  10   1
    Totals                    9       6   3   3   5  10   1

ATTENDANCE- 45,699 TIME- Day WEATHER- Good
    T- 2:26
    LEFT ON BASE- Phillies: 9  Dodgers: 7
    DOUBLE PLAYS- Phillies: 1  Dodgers: 0
    ERRORS- J.Tabor, E.Verban
    DOUBLES- A.Galan, P.Reese, C.Lavagetto, K.Higbe
    HOME RUNS- D.Ennis, E.Stevens
    STOLEN BASES- D.Walker
    SACRIFICE HITS- B.Donnelly
    SACRIFICE FLIES- P.Reese
    WALKS- J.Wyrostek-3, R.Northey, A.Seminick, A.Galan-2, D.Walker-2, P.Reiser,
           B.Edwards
    HIT BY PITCH- R.Northey
    STRIKE OUTS- S.Newsome, D.Ennis-3, A.Seminick, F.McCormick, J.Tabor-2, E.Verban,
                 B.Donnelly, E.Stanky-2, P.Reiser, B.Edwards
    GIDP- E.Stanky
    WILD PITCHES- K.Higbe

ยท	Go to Strat-O-Matic Homepage
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Something I have always wondered is it possible to create/edit players? (even if it would be a pain in the bleep)

Comment

I seem to recall that in the computer game it is possible to create players, and I think they can also be edited. But don't take my word for it - I haven't played computer Strat in over ten years, so the version I used was certainly much older than the one you're using and this capability may have been removed - or may have only existed in my mind, for that matter!

But I seem to recall creating a player or two - and yes, it was an incredibly tedious process.
        You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

Are you asking about the board game, the PC game, or both?

There are some unofficial, reverse-engineered card formulas such as this one:

www.geocities.com/gls84/sominfo.html

although I would defer to the earlier responder's comments about whether the PC game allows creating new players, since I've never played the PC game.
          [
          QUOTE=Death to Crawling Things;1283888]Something I have always wondered is it possible to create/edit players? (even if it would be a pain in the bleep)[/QUOTE]

Comment

Computer Strat does allow for creation/editing of players. I don't know if it's any good, though, because I never use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Death to Crawling Things View Post
              Something I have always wondered is it possible to create/edit players? (even if it would be a pain in the bleep)
              When I'm feeling frisky, I "edit" my boxscore(s) and add MYSELF into the game. Simple to do.
              you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
              http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

After years of contemplation -- I played the board game a lot as a kid -- I finally invested in the PC Strat-O-Matic (w/card image) and about 30 seasons, as well as ballparks, play-by-play disks, and special Oldtimer/HOF fame sets.

I'm actually considering going all out for every season left available, which would run me a little over $1,100.

My question is, do the folks at BBF think my compulsive self may be overdoing it a bit, or that I'd never have time to play each season to satisfaction?
                Put it in the books.

Comment

That's a lot of seasons, although some guys have a lot more.

In answer to your question, it depends upon what your replay plans are. If you're planning to do season replays with your favorite team, then it will be hard to get through 30+ seasons unless you are going to live a lot more years.

On the other hand, if you plan to dabble, say by replaying world series and all-star games, then move on, then you can use all of those seasons. Or, if you plan to do a lot of cross-season play, then it would make sense to get more seasons.

Or, if you are part gamer, part collector, as many are, then you should go ahead and get all of the seasons, in both PC and C&D version.

Here's a guy, Purplemoose, who has all of Strat's board and PC baseball seasons:

http://www.stratfanforum.com/forums/...seasons&page=4

and here's a guy who has 77 on PC:

http://www.stratfanforum.com/forums/...seasons&page=6

Tossing in other sports besides baseball, I wonder if there's a guy or two who has 'invested' over $5k in games.

Comment

I have been playing and collecting SOM since 1969. I have bought sold and rebought or upgraded sets. I currently have everything printed from 1964 on including 18 of the 20 teams from 1963. I have copies of original 1962 and 1960 and not original 1961. Note someone can say they have every season ever printed but for the 1960s for instance, all ten seasons have been re-released in new formats (called recreated). Someone can say they have all 1960s seasons but only have stuff recreated and produced in the last 25-20 years and not the original seasons released 45 years ago.

I also have very rare sets including original black ink 1920-30 oldtimers (6 teams), "gold/tan" card 1920-30 (6) oldtimers and 1940 (6) oldtimers and red ink 1950-60 oldtimers. I also have the ultra rare red ink 1931 A's oldtimer team.

And there have been "expansion" sets in 1968-69, 76-77 etc as well as "corrected" 1980 pitcher's cards.

I also have about 70% of the available computer seasons and it will be 2-3 orders and I will have them all/

see my thread in this category for all time best SOM games played
                    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't think it would actually take you very long to replay those 30 seasons unless you plan on replaying every single game. If you just set the lineups and pitching assignments and then let the the Computer Manager (that's what Diamond Mind calls him) run the games, you could probably do a complete season replay in about a day, most of which would time spent setting up your lineups and pitching assignments. If you replayed every single game for your favorite team on a play by play basis, probably a month for a replay. So you might get through those 30 seasons in about three years replaying every game for a favorite team, or in a couple of months if you let the computer do it. Then you just have to decide who many more seasons you want to do.

BTW, if you enjoy replaying history, check out our Classic Keeper League. We use Diamond Mind Baseball, but you don't really need the game to play in our league - although it is a tremendous time saver to have it. Our league thread can be found HERE. If you have any interest at all, I would strongly suggest reading the league rules thread, and maybe checking out the current season thread (1972 Season thread) and the most recent off season thread (71-72 Off Season thread). Those would give you a very good idea of what we're all about. We presently have two teams available, both of which will be competing for division titles this season.
                      You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

I thank you all for your insightful replies. I think I'll indeed go in for all the seasons eventually, whether incrementally or all at once. I like flexibility and I plan to keep the seasons (and other stuff) for a lifetime, except of course for the main application upgrades every year or two.

Thanx again for the help and suggestions. :cap:

P.S. I've heard that SOM is about to release a Negro League set sometime this Spring. Looking forward to it.
                        Put it in the books.

Comment

The negro League set might be available for Christmas 2009
                          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

Great article on SOM and APBA in USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...on-games_N.htm

Comment

I started out with APBA in 1967 (actually played Challenge the Yankees and Ethan Allen's All Star Baseball before that but neither was statistically accurate as pitchers had no bearing in either game). I finally got into Strat in the 1970's and have played it a lot over the years. I've also played all the other games out there (Pursue the Pennant, Dynasty League, Big League Manager, Statis Pro, etc.). A few years ago I stumbled across a game called Ball Park Baseball. Despite it being a bit costly, once I bought the game and tried it out it quickly became my game of choice! A short coming of Strat Baseball (cards and dice) is that it could not account for batters or pitchers that had few walks or strikeouts or homeruns or ground into double plays. Because of this, a guy like a Nellie Fox would always strikeout too many times in a season or a pitcher with impeccable control (like Carlos Silva in 2005) wouldn't come close to recording the low walk totals. Ball Park, like Strat, is a 50-50 game where dice rolls will either refer you to the hitters or the pitchers card, however, Ball Park has control ratings that fine tune those statistical anomalies. Additionally, no other table top baseball game for cards and dice affords the gamer to employ as many strategies in their game as does Ball Park. For instance, corner infielders (at first and third) have five depths they can play! Outfielders have four depths they can play (including the no doubles defense). Middle infielders can cheat at second base to hold a runner closer there. The individual ball park charts account for weather, batting average, home runs and errors. Perhaps, best of all, you can purchase an individual team or a whole league. Every season from 1894 to the present are available for purchase! Don't get me wrong, I still play a fair share of other games like Strat (I have over 50 individual seasons of Strat baseball) but if I really want to get into the game where a lot of strategies are at my disposal, well, Ball Park fills the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark View Post
                                --StratO was one of the first, and for a long time the leader, amoung baseball simulations. When I was your age it was a game with player cards, dice and a few charts. I spent many an hour playing it and thought it was the next best thing to the real thing.
                                --You can still get the board game, but like everybody else they are primarily a computer simulation (last season or past seasons). There are a number of newer simulations who have surpassed Strato in that arena. They just aren't doing cutting edge work. After 30 years as a StratO player I've switched to DiamondMind and don't imagine I'll ever switch back, except perhaps for nostagia if I were to get to know someone who enjoyed the old table version.

I realize this is several years old but it is not true

SOM is not primarily a computer game

a majority of players (slight majority) are still the board gamers still (many players play both)

and you can play a basic card and dice game in 10 minutes, advanced in maybe 20 minutes and super advanced in maybe 30 minutes

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X