I'll second that

Leave a comment:

• shigelojoe
    replied
    Personnel drafts sound like a fun idea.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    Important Note: I am officially (and forever) renaming this league in honor of a dear friend and fellow baseball lover, Doug Pappas, who passed away before his time this week. Doug died of "heat prostration" while out hiking. Some of you may be familiar with his many superlative efforts on behalf of SABR or just through his presence on the Internet (either at Baseball Prospectus or with Doug's Business of Baseball web site.

Gentleman, I'd like to raise a glass in honor of Doug. He'll be missed by the game, but moreso by his friends. To Doug! So it is with great pride and much sorrow that I re-name this the...

Doug Pappas Memorial Base Ball League

Master Team/Player List

Hulbert League - Eastern Division
    Atlanta Braves (Dale C76)
    Brooklyn Dodgers (The Commissioner)
    Buffalo Bison (tearforamariner)
    Montreal Royals (mikey_s)
    New York Giants (Chancellor)
    Worcester Ruby Legs (Kroxquo)

Hulbert League - Western Division
    Chicago Cubs (The Splendid Splinter)
    Colorado Rockies (NickG)
    Houston Astros (rdon)
    Kansas City Cowboys (jhwinfrey)
    Milwaukee Brewers (brewcrew82)
    St. Louis Cardinals (TheWizard)

Johnson League - Eastern Division
    Baltimore Orioles (JW)
    Boston Americans (RedSoxFanWoosh)
    Dayton Marcos (Sportkrank21)
    Detroit Wolverines (Captain Cold Nose)
    Louisville Colonels (catcher24)
    Philadelphia Athletics (JayLans)

Johnson League - Western Division
    Hollywood Stars (leecemark)
    Oakland A's (Biofury)
    Seattle Mariners (shigelojoe)
    Seattle Pilots (Dudecar00)
    St. Louis Browns (Lovullo4Ever)
    Texas Rangers (jls4223)

I would like to note that we are currently full with 24 owners but, that (a) I would like very much for this league to expand and become a keeper league at season's end if there's enough interest; and (b) there may be drop-outs. In either event, it would be great if anyone else who is interested in joining would PM me about it so I'll know who to contact as soon as an opening exists.

Our Schedule
    Ballpark Draft - in progress
    Player Draft - coming soon
    Managerial Profiles - coming soon

What do you guys think of holding a draft for the selection of managers, general managers, etc? Anyone interested in adding these kinds of team personnel for the fun of it? They'd have no bearing on actual game play, but would make for more interesting game reports and/or could be used in posts about your team.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 05-23-2004, 02:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    It'll all probably be explained after the stadium draft. Which you should go and draft your stadium now. you can still take coors, nick was drafting out of order. =P

Leave a comment:

• J W
    replied
    OK, I hereby sign up, with the Baltimore Orioles, since the St. Louis Browns are taken. And why don't we make it the Pre-Yankee Baltimore Orioles for posterity .

...oh yeah, is there going to me a managerial draft, or does that even matter? I guess we'll be owner-ballcoaches, huh?
    Last edited by J W; 05-22-2004, 11:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Splendid Splinter
    replied
    hey guys i talked to my friend about this and he said that he might do it, he said no at first cuz he said he was going to get a job sometime soon and probably lose interest as the season goes on, and he doesn't want to do that to us... have a guy who doesnt pay attention or do anything but he did tell me, if we dont get a 24th within a couple days or couldnt find anyone else then he'll do it and join

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    Chancellor, before I start making a draft list there are a couple points on player ratings I'd like to clarify. Diamond mind, as far as I know, hasn't simulated any seasons or players prior to 1901 or the Negro Legues. Will you be creating these yourself? Also, all the player records they have created are based on single season statistics, although I don't know if that will be true with thier upcoming "all time greatest players" version. Will we be using players based on a single season or career totals? If season, it will of course be important to know which season for each player. If career, you've got yout work cut out for you in creating every drafted player (most guys likely to be drafted have a season or several already create). Also, will we be using "neutral era" for our league? For those not famiiar with dimaond mind, players will perform differently in different parks and also in different years. Deadball players moved to live ball will hit more homers. I've run sims with leagues of the best deadball teams in the neutral era (league numbers averaged out over history) and deadball sluggers HRs have jumped up quite a bit. Not to McGwire or Sosa territory, but enough to be dangerous. I haven't used them in live era against live ball pitchers so I can't offer any info on how many Home Run Baker would hit against 1990 pitching. I think I'll find out before the draft though. Chancellor, I've got a pretty good diamond lmind library and some experience on creating players. If I can help with this let me know. Anybody else who knows diamond mind might want to share some tips for drafters who haven't played as well.l

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    While we eagerly await the 24th and final member of this brouhaha, I thought I'd take a few minutes to discuss with you the particulars of the league.

League Name: NBBL (National Base Ball League)

League Type: One-year (not a "keeper" league, though it could turn into that if enough people are interested.)

Sim Engine: Diamond Mind Baseball version 9.0

I have randomly determined an order for the ballpark draft - the next step in getting things started. The order for the ballpark draft is listed below:

Detroit Wolverines
    Oakland A's
    Chicago Cubs
    Baltimore Orioles
    Montreal Royals
    Kansas City Cowboys
    Worcester Ruby Legs
    Dayton Marcos
    Atlanta Braves
    New York Giants
    Texas Rangers
    Boston Americans
    Louisville Colonels
    Colorado Rockies
    Brooklyn Dodgers
    Houston Astros
    St. Louis Browns
    Hollywood Stars
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Milwaukee Brewers
    Seattle Mariners
    Seattle Pilots
    Philadelphia Athletics
    Buffalo Bison

You may select any stadium used in the Major Leagues (American, National or Federal) from 1901-2003. Each stadium is uniquely rated for outfield wall distances at various points as well as wall height. Other factors such as the size of the foul territory will also be accounted for in the game. In short, if you select Coors Field, don't be surprised when your pitching staff has a 5.00 ERA. If you pick Dodger Stadium, don't ask me why your team is batting .230.

Detroit, Oakland and Chicago may go ahead and get this started (and hopefully that 24th team will find an owner by the time they've picked.)

The ballpark draft thread can be found here.

After the ballpark draft is complete, we'll begin the player draft. I have not yet randomly determined the order of that draft, but will shortly.

Btw...draft picks in either of these drafts cannot be traded.

I should also note that I have decided to include players from the National League, American League, National Association, Federal League, Union Association, Players League as well as assorted negro (and other) all-stars who were prohibited from playing in the majors due to the color of their skin. I will warn you in advance, however, that pre-1894 players and negro leaguers will be rated conservatively. Don't expect Old Hoss Radbourn to be able to win 60 games or for Satchel Paige to strikeout 500 hitters or anything like that.

I highly recommend using the intervening time to consider what park you'd like and what players you're interested in.

Hope to see 24 of you in full draft mode in the very near future!
    Last edited by Chadwick; 05-23-2004, 02:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Splendid Splinter
    replied
    i do have a friend that might be interested in it if you guys were looking for another team... let me talk to him today and see if he is up to it or not

i'll let you guys know ASAP... i can't wait till this league starts

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    National Base Ball League
    Master Team/Player List

Hulbert League
    Colorado Rockies (NickG)
    Houston Astros (rdon)

Johnson League
    Boston Americans (RedSoxFanWoosh)
    Oakland A's (Biofury)
    Texas Rangers (jls4223)

One more team and we're ready to begin! Just one more team! Anyone know someone who'd be interested in running our 12th NL franchise?

Leave a comment:

• RedSoxFanWoosh
    replied
    No one's posted for a while, so I might be too late. I'm new to this whole thing, but I'm in if you still need another team. If there is space, I'll take the Boston Americans.

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    You could make it a 12 team League and a 10 team league.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    National Base Ball League
    Master Team/Player List

Hulbert League
    Colorado Rockies (NickG)
    Houston Astros (rdon)

Johnson League
    Oakland A's (Biofury)
    Texas Rangers (jls4223)

We have 22 teams. We need one more in each league. As soon as we're at 24 teams, I'll post instructions for the draft and we'll be underway!

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    I'm sure chancellor still wants to do this. I'll pm him!

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    Last post on this is pretty old so I'm guessing this project fell through. If you're still looking for teams, I'll be the Hollywood Stars in which ever league you need a team in.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X