Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'll all probably be explained after the stadium draft. Which you should go and draft your stadium now. you can still take coors, nick was drafting out of order. =P
    AL East Champions: 1981 1982
    AL Pennant: 1982
    NL Central Champions: 2011
    NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Important Note: I am officially (and forever) renaming this league in honor of a dear friend and fellow baseball lover, Doug Pappas, who passed away before his time this week. Doug died of "heat prostration" while out hiking. Some of you may be familiar with his many superlative efforts on behalf of SABR or just through his presence on the Internet (either at Baseball Prospectus or with Doug's Business of Baseball web site.

Gentleman, I'd like to raise a glass in honor of Doug. He'll be missed by the game, but moreso by his friends. To Doug! So it is with great pride and much sorrow that I re-name this the...

Doug Pappas Memorial Base Ball League

Master Team/Player List

Hulbert League - Eastern Division
      Atlanta Braves (Dale C76)
      Brooklyn Dodgers (The Commissioner)
      Buffalo Bison (tearforamariner)
      Montreal Royals (mikey_s)
      New York Giants (Chancellor)
      Worcester Ruby Legs (Kroxquo)

Hulbert League - Western Division
      Chicago Cubs (The Splendid Splinter)
      Colorado Rockies (NickG)
      Houston Astros (rdon)
      Kansas City Cowboys (jhwinfrey)
      Milwaukee Brewers (brewcrew82)
      St. Louis Cardinals (TheWizard)

Johnson League - Eastern Division
      Baltimore Orioles (JW)
      Boston Americans (RedSoxFanWoosh)
      Dayton Marcos (Sportkrank21)
      Detroit Wolverines (Captain Cold Nose)
      Louisville Colonels (catcher24)
      Philadelphia Athletics (JayLans)

Johnson League - Western Division
      Hollywood Stars (leecemark)
      Oakland A's (Biofury)
      Seattle Mariners (shigelojoe)
      Seattle Pilots (Dudecar00)
      St. Louis Browns (Lovullo4Ever)
      Texas Rangers (jls4223)

I would like to note that we are currently full with 24 owners but, that (a) I would like very much for this league to expand and become a keeper league at season's end if there's enough interest; and (b) there may be drop-outs. In either event, it would be great if anyone else who is interested in joining would PM me about it so I'll know who to contact as soon as an opening exists.

Our Schedule
      Ballpark Draft - in progress
      Player Draft - coming soon
      Managerial Profiles - coming soon

What do you guys think of holding a draft for the selection of managers, general managers, etc? Anyone interested in adding these kinds of team personnel for the fun of it? They'd have no bearing on actual game play, but would make for more interesting game reports and/or could be used in posts about your team.
      Last edited by Chadwick; 05-23-2004, 02:16 AM.
      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Personnel drafts sound like a fun idea.
        "Under lights in the dark at the edge of the Sound
        With a crack of the bat the ball flashes to ground
        And leaps to the left through the glorious green
        Of the SAFECO Field grass to a fielding machine
        Comes a grab that is sure and a toss that is shrewd
        Guillen to Boone to Olerud"

Excerpt from "Guillen to Boone to Olerud" by John P. Todd (2001)

Comment

I'll second that

Comment

Agreed, since it has no effect.
            AL East Champions: 1981 1982
            AL Pennant: 1982
            NL Central Champions: 2011
            NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Hey, I'll be a proud participant of the Pappas Leagues. Sorry to hear about him. I can say though, he was doing something he loved to do (I assume).

:gt

...um, which brings me to an embarrasing question, as I am not proficient in sim-engines: is there a site where I can look up the rules of this Diamond Mind you speak of?

*edit* I found the official site. Very impressive. I like the cross-era and cross-league adjustments. Anxious to get started on the player draft. Are you going to be using career averages, Chance? Or, say, a combination of the players' ten best years?
              Last edited by J W; 05-23-2004, 06:31 PM.
              http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

Originally posted by J W
                Hey, I'll be a proud participant of the Pappas Leagues. Sorry to hear about him. I can say though, he was doing something he loved to do (I assume).

:gt

...um, which brings me to an embarrasing question, as I am not proficient in sim-engines: is there a site where I can look up the rules of this Diamond Mind you speak of?

*edit* I found the official site. Very impressive. I like the cross-era and cross-league adjustments. Anxious to get started on the player draft. Are you going to be using career averages, Chance? Or, say, a combination of the players' ten best years?
                Would you mind posting a link since I've never played ANY computer simulation before. My experience is limited to statis-pro tabletop simulations.
                Let's rid baseball of the pestilence of the DH now and forever!

Comment

My computer skills aren't up to creating a link, but the site is www.diamondmind.com. If you check out the specs for the All Time Greatest Players it will tell you the basis for how our players will be rated.

Comment

As mentioned in the other thread, if there's any chance I can play, I'd definitely like to

Comment

That looks like a distinct possibility Sandman, there are some people who haven't replied to the ballparks so we can almost assume we'll never see them again.
                      RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

!!!!!!

Comment

I also would like to be kept in mind if there are any openings.

Comment

Attention!

I need everyone who has expressed an interest in doing this to PM me and let me know if (a) you're still interested; or (b) you're no longer interested.

If I don't hear from you in a reasonable amount of time - by the end of the week most likely - then I'll assume you are not interested. So please express your continued interest promptly if you want to play.
                            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                            "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                            "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Count me in. Does my pick of the Baker Bowl for a home park still stand?
                              Let's rid baseball of the pestilence of the DH now and forever!

Comment

trying to be nice...

could I be the Boston Americans, I've always loved their name.

edit: oh you're already done. guess I can't pay attention! anyway, good luck!
                                Last edited by swampfoxx; 07-31-2004, 06:44 PM.
                                "There ain’t much to being a ballplayer, if you’re a ballplayer."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X