Your Sleeper Pick(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Sleeper Pick(s)

There's always a few guys each year who come up with a completely unexpected season (in 2005 there was Tony Clark, Felipe Lopez, Jon Garland (to some extent), Ryan Dempster, and many others). Who's gonna do it this year?

I'm going to go with the youngster from Baltimore, Chris Ray. He's going to be the closer with the losses of B.J. Ryan and Jorge Julio, and he put up some great numbers in 40 innings last year in the majors.
    A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

I agree 100%. Chris Ray is fearless. There will be no intimidation factor with him. He may be a rookie, but he can brush back Gary Sheffield and then throw a strike the next pitch. The kid will be good.

Comment

I went ahead and drafted him in one of my fantasy leagues. Along with rookies Jeremy Hermida, Prince Fielder, Matt Cain, and Francisco Liriano. I expect Ray and Cain to be pretty solid - maybe 20 - 30 saves for Ray with numbers similar to Street's '05 stats. Cain could have a 2.75 - 3.25 ERA with a low WHIP. Fielder should probably put up some decent power numbers. I don't know what to expect from Hermida and Liriano (Liriano still has to win the 5th spot in the rotation). There should be a good amount of rookie standouts this year - always fun to watch the young guys actually hustling.
      A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

I'd expect maybe a 4.5 era, 10-12 wins and a 1.4 WHIP from Cain

Liriano, 4.3 era, 10-12 wins and a 1.5 WHIP with a lot of walks and a lot of Ks

Comment

Originally posted by Astro
          I'd expect maybe a 4.5 era, 10-12 wins and a 1.4 WHIP from Cain
          That high? I know, my predictions are usually a little generous to the players, but I don't think his ERA will be that high. His stats aren't fully reliable from last season (in the majors) since he only started 7 games, but 4.5 seems a little high. More realistically, I'd say 3.5 - 4 ERA, but only time will tell.

Comment

I tried to go young on my fantasy team this year.

My pitching staff has all youngsters...

Erik Bedard (BAL)
            Matt Cain (SF)
            Felix Hernandez (SEA)
            Jon Papelbon (BOS)
            Dan Haren (OAK)

I also went ahead and drafted BJ Upton (TB) as a backup shortstop and Chad Orvella (TB) as a closer.

So they can either make me look like a genius, or a total fool

Other guys that I didn't draft that I think will be good this year are Flordia's young trio of Jeremy Hermida, Hanley Ramirez & Mike Jacobs. I am also a big fan of the O's Chris Ray and Daniel Cabrera.
            "Candlestick made me a man" -Will Clark

"Real Giants fans loved them BEFORE and AFTER Barry Bonds came along"

Comment

Brad Wilkerson. I guess not technically a sleeper but very underrated IMO. Playing in RFK killed him. But now he is in that stacked texas lineup and in that great hitters park. I smell great things.
              Last edited by Kaliber; 02-26-2006, 02:58 PM.
              Hey umpire, he's got a horse in his pocket!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jermz
                I also went ahead and drafted BJ Upton (TB) as a backup shortstop and Chad Orvella (TB) as a closer.

So they can either make me look like a genius, or a total fool
                The problem with Orvella is that even if he is relatively successful, he won't be particularly valuable to you as a closer. You're looking for saves in Tampa Bay, keep in mind.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X