What do you think about this for a 50-50 game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wes_kahn
    • Oct 2009

We have tested the new homemade game through 32 games each for 1972 Pittsburgh and 1964 Chicago White Sox. With chart modification to where it can all be put on a two-sided piece of card-stock, the time it takes to play a game is between 40 minutes and an hour. The thing that makes this game feel more exciting than others that I have played is that you can see exactly how the fielder's range and arm affects the play more in this one. Don Buford is a much better offensive player in 1964 than Al Weis, but when you put Weis at second base, he saves hits and runs with his range and arm. Ron Hansen and Weis make a much better double play duo than Hansen and Buford.

Ballpark effects are also quite noticeable. Foul ball outs at old Comiskey Park become non-outs at Fenway Park. Pop fouls behind home plate at Old Yankee Stadium stay in play a lot more than they do at Tiger Stadium. But, down the line, foul balls find the seats more at Yankee Stadium.

Of course, there are differences in the fair territory as well. When a pop fly is hit into short left field at Griffith Stadium, it has a much higher chance of falling in for a hit or even a chance for a double for faster players than it does at Fenway Park, where it almost has to be dropped to fall in for a hit. If you hit it over the center fielders head or in the gaps at the Polo Grounds, it could be an inside the park homer or at least a triple. The same ball hit at Braves Field might just be a long single for a slow runner.

I have played a series of the 1964 White Sox versus the 1954 Indians, but using League Park instead of Cleveland Stadium. Twice, there were short drives to right field that would have been caught for easy outs at most other parks that not only became hits but became triples because they hit the beam and caromed all the way from right field to the short left field foul line. Jim Landis had the option of stretching a double to a triple with his run rating the first time, and he beat the throw to third. The other time, it was a straight triple off the right field beam by Pete Ward.

The 1964 White Sox are 17-15 in the AL. This is good for a three-way tie for fourth place. The 1969 Orioles lead at 21-11, with the 1957 Yankees in second at 18-14. The three-way tie is between the Chisox, the 1954 Indians, and the 1968 Tigers.

HP is playing the 1972 Pirates, and they are 21-11 in the NL, one game behind 1970 Cincinnati.

The 1964 White Sox slash line through 32 games is 244/319/386, while the team ERA is 2.96 and opposing batting average is .228. Joe Horlen has pitched 2 shutouts, and Gary Peter's pitched a 2-hit shutout against the 1972 Athletics and only won 1-0. There was also a 4-3 loss to the 1969 Twins that went 19 innings and finished with JC Martin pitching for the White Sox.

I think it is a marketable game if the exact format can be programmed into a computer program, but neither of us have any experience with programming, and we are close to fixed income now, and couldn't afford paying somebody else to do this. So, I guess for now it just stays a fun hobby.

Comment

• H.Franco
      • Oct 2019

When I face one of these, my answer is generally to refuse to agree with the 50-50 concept, but if the reason is reasonable, ask if it is possible to donate directly to the cause without 50 % to have. The donation goes to another donor. Sometimes they say yes, but sometimes they can't handle it because I face my objection.
      UstradeEnt

Comment

• wes_kahn
        • Oct 2009

Update to the game under design: My friend has now become the neighbor on the other side of the duplex, so we can get together a lot easier to work on this collaboration. We have come up with a neat answer to how to handle fielding. If you are keeping the teams together as actual teams, such as the 1969 Orioles, the 1966 Dodgers, and the 1962 Giants, then the pitching cards basically include fielding dependent pitching in the results.

I hope I am explaining this decently. If for instance, Pitcher x gave up a slash line of 235/320/386, then a chunk of that slash line is owed to the fielders. Once you remove the FIP from that slash line, then everything else is basically dependent on the fielding and already figured into the equation.

Say you have a team where the starting 2b, SS, and 3b all played 145-155 games and close to 9 innings per game. In other words, each player played about 90% of the innings at those positions. Thus, their range at stopping ground balls and line drives is already figured into the pitcher's results. Thus, all you have to do is figure how much better or worse the reserves at those positions affected the pitching.

If you have a Pete Rose playing third base just after he began playing there, with Doug Flynn or John Vukovich in reserve, then when one of the other two are playing third base, the pitcher is aided with a little more defensive range on balls hit toward third base.

On the other hand, it you have to sub Dan Driessen for Tony Perez a first base, then a pitcher might suffer a little bit on balls hit in the first base-second base gap.

Arm ratings are not part of this. Every fielder will have an arm rating that will affect plays on the bases (GIDP chances, OF assists, etc.)

Obviously, if you break this game up into a draft league, where you draft players off the 1964 season, then the fielding ratings must apply evenly to all players, because now you are comparing Maury Wills against Roberto Pena, and not against Dodger reserves.

BTW, my friend is now working on a best of set from 1973 to 1995 using the 24 franchises in existence in 1973.

Bal 1973
        Bos 1978
        Cle 1995
        Det 1984
        Mil 1982
        NYY 1977

Cal 1982
        Chi 1983
        KCR 1977
        Min 1991
        Oak 1990
        Tex 1977

CHC 1989
        Mon 1979
        NYM 1986
        Phi 1976
        Pit 1991
        Stl 1985

Atl 1993
        Cin 1975
        Hou 1986
        LAD 1974
        SDP 1984
        SFG 1993

He is looking at some unique created environments for this set with options to place the 8 expansion teams of that time into a "Third Major League", while keeping the 16 original franchises in 8-team NL and AL. He really likes the ideas of players from this era playing in the classic parks, as he hates cookie cutters. So, imagine the 1976 Phillies playing at the Baker Bowl with Schmidt and Luzinski having a bandbox. Or, what if the 1993 Braves played at Braves Field in Boston when the RF line was at 297? And, how much different would the 1995 Indians be playing at League Park. Albert Belle and Manny Ramirez wouldn't really be affected much by the deeper left field, while the players with speed might get a bunch of extra base hits with all the extra fair territory in left plus the very high wall in right.

If you move the 1993 San Francisco Giants back to the Polo Grounds, then the 1986 Mets cannot be a New York team. So, what my friend does is to take the 8 expansion teams and place them into the old Pacific Coast League. The LA Angels stay in LA and play at Wrigley Field. The 1982 Brewers return to Seattle to play in Sick's Stadium. The Mets replace the Giants as the San Francisco Seals and play at Seals Stadium. The Padres stay in San Diego and play at Lane Stadium. The Kansas City Royals are put in Oakland and play at Oaks Park, The 1986 Astros become the Hollywood Stars and play at Gilmore Field. The 1977 Rangers become the Sacramento Solons and play at Edmonds Field. The Expos become the Portland Beavers and play at Vaughn Street Park.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X