X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ericlc129
    replied
    Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
    To be fair the annual update issue (i.e. rosters versus actual game improvement) are neither unique to video games nor to baseball.
    Well that is true. Madden fans always start selling the old version day after the Super Bowl.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    To be fair the annual update issue (i.e. rosters versus actual game improvement) are neither unique to video games nor to baseball.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by ericlc129 View Post

I don't play The Show as often as I should. But I never got into the "gotta get the new rosters" motif. yes, to get Cruz on the Twins or to have Berrios' ratings increased would be good; but honestly, was there a reason people kept buying the new year over and over again? I can't imagine a 35 year old utility journeyman infielder is really worth the $60
    I definitely hear you on the annual updates. To be fair, tho, I never pay more than $30, as I tend to wait until May or so when the price drops.

I also didn't pick it up in 2019. I may not get it this year either, for like you, I just don't play it as much as I should. I think the last time I played was last spring or summer when baseball wasn't being played in reality. So, I'll probably get it only if I wanna play it.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    I was introduced to baseball games on the PC (i.e. sims) long before being exposed to NES' Superstar Baseball and future console games. Therefore, the hand-eye coordination/joystick style games have always held far less appeal to me. That said, I've owned and played my share of them. My favorite may have been All-Star Baseball, which I recall one year had video easter eggs of Buck O'Neil and included Negro League stars and Hall of Fame players as well. That was in the 1999-2002 range, but I can't recall exactly which year. I'm pretty sure I like the fielding element of that game, too.

Obviously, MLB The Show has had a monopoly for a long time now. (The RBI Baseball remake is kind of a joke.) I generally play franchise mode although I like to collect the cards and build a dream team on there as a secondary diversion.

Incidentally, two tidbits of news for this year's MLB The Show that may be of interest to people:

1. The release date is April 20.

2. It is the first Sony Playstation game ever to be made available on Xbox also, giving people with any of the major consoles (including next gen ones) - save for Nintendo, of course - access to the best/only existing MLB-licensed video game on the market.

I still pick up the game almost annually - and I certainly enjoy the hours I spend playing it - but I still prefer the simulation engines of PC games exponentially more.

Leave a comment:

• ericlc129
    replied
    Originally posted by milladrive View Post
    Oddly, I never played MVP Baseball, at least not the 2005 version. Pretty interesting that it retains a continued following, especially considering all the computing power put into games since.

I never got into playing baseball on the computer other than Strat-O-Matic, which can hardly be called a video game. Got into it heavily, in fact, collecting all seasons back to 1876. These days, they're all just waitin' to be resold.

I also never played much baseball in the arcades. Can't say I recall all that many of them there anyway, but I also must've always felt there were distractions more worthy of my quarters.

The earliest recollection I have on the home console was at a friend's house in high school. He had ColecoVision. Or was it Odyssey? Whichever, I just recall running the bases against him at will while he threw a tantrum telling me how I wouldn't run the guy in real life. I begged to differ; it was real-life ColecoVision.

I think for me, video baseball wasn't worth much of my time until it took on a certain level of realism, which didn't happen in the days of 16-bit. I did have Baseball Stars, tho.

Fast forward to this century. I've been getting MLB: The Show annually for about ten years. I think I keep updating because I get a thrill hearing Matty V. say the newer players' names, not to mention seeing their likenesses. That the game's never been allowed to somehow incorporate the names of players who haven't seen at least one game of MLB service is dumb imo, but I won't digress.

As an aside, 2020 will be the first year The Show won't be exclusive to Playstation.

I also have RBI Baseball '14 on PS3. Has a very retro feel to it, despite the MLB endorsement.

I kinda like Super Mega Baseball for the PS4. If one can get past the caracaturish head-bangin' environment, there's enough to do to keep me just interested enough.
    I don't play The Show as often as I should. But I never got into the "gotta get the new rosters" motif. yes, to get Cruz on the Twins or to have Berrios' ratings increased would be good; but honestly, was there a reason people kept buying the new year over and over again? I can't imagine a 35 year old utility journeyman infielder is really worth the $60

Leave a comment:

• abolishthedh
    replied
    No, I can't stand video games now. Long ago, I played a lot of Pac-Man, until I discovered blisters between my fingers because I had the stick lodged there for long periods of time. The blisters would keep me from playing golf or in my weekly bowling league, so I gave up the games cold.

Strat-O-Matic was a game which we had never heard about in the Midwest. A friend in high school would have been glad to play against as a partner, and maybe it would snowball from there. Yes, it is self evident, but you have to have the game available before you can play.

That EA Sports franchise probably has something to offer, but I don't have time. When family puts me away in a home, then they can strap me to a bed with a game. Life is short, and its best to be outside.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Oddly, I never played MVP Baseball, at least not the 2005 version. Pretty interesting that it retains a continued following, especially considering all the computing power put into games since.

I never got into playing baseball on the computer other than Strat-O-Matic, which can hardly be called a video game. Got into it heavily, in fact, collecting all seasons back to 1876. These days, they're all just waitin' to be resold.

I also never played much baseball in the arcades. Can't say I recall all that many of them there anyway, but I also must've always felt there were distractions more worthy of my quarters.

The earliest recollection I have on the home console was at a friend's house in high school. He had ColecoVision. Or was it Odyssey? Whichever, I just recall running the bases against him at will while he threw a tantrum telling me how I wouldn't run the guy in real life. I begged to differ; it was real-life ColecoVision.

I think for me, video baseball wasn't worth much of my time until it took on a certain level of realism, which didn't happen in the days of 16-bit. I did have Baseball Stars, tho.

Fast forward to this century. I've been getting MLB: The Show annually for about ten years. I think I keep updating because I get a thrill hearing Matty V. say the newer players' names, not to mention seeing their likenesses. That the game's never been allowed to somehow incorporate the names of players who haven't seen at least one game of MLB service is dumb imo, but I won't digress.

As an aside, 2020 will be the first year The Show won't be exclusive to Playstation.

I also have RBI Baseball '14 on PS3. Has a very retro feel to it, despite the MLB endorsement.

I kinda like Super Mega Baseball for the PS4. If one can get past the caracaturish head-bangin' environment, there's enough to do to keep me just interested enough.

Leave a comment:

• ericlc129
    started a topic Baseball Video Games

Baseball Video Games

From MLB.com. How many of these have we played? I've done a few games in my day. RBI (NES), Bases Loaded, Triple Play and now The Show. There was also a pretty cool arcade game where you use a joystick for pitching, then go to hitting after.
    Sit down, grab a controller and you can be anything. A marauding adventurer storming a castle. A plumber trying to save a princess. An L-shaped brick tumbling from the sky. For a baseball fan, video games are a way to live out 1,000 glorious victories or suffer innumerable agonizing defeats.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X