Question about OOTP Baseball and Bill James

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about OOTP Baseball and Bill James

It says on their website that I can order the game online off their site for $19.99. Is this the full game? Or are there some hidden costs I should know about. That price seems too good to be true.

Also, a friend of mine at work was telling me about this game he used to play before the glorious days of the internet. He said it was designed by Bill James and that the company actually sent him a rulebook with the scoring sytem every year. Of course the story goes he threw them all out and would like to get a copy of one somewhere. I thought this would be the place to ask around. Thanks in advance for any help on either question.

As I recall, OOTP is 34.99, 19.99 if you have last year's version. Still a good value. Inside the Park Baseball, though, is 19.99, and perhaps even better than OOTP.

Comment

Originally posted by Hrycaj View Post
      It says on their website that I can order the game online off their site for $19.99. Is this the full game? Or are there some hidden costs I should know about. That price seems too good to be true.
      Yes $19.99 is for the full game for the latest version (OOTP8). A new version usually comes out each spring, but no release date has been given yet for this year. There is a demo available, but in my opinion $19.99 is a great value.

Comment

I ended up downloading it. I figure even if was a dud (which it isn't) the 20 bucks wasn't going to kill me. Thanks.

Comment

OOTP Baseball

I ended up downloading it. I figure even if was a dud (which it isn't) the 20 bucks wasn't going to kill me. Thanks.
          I find OOTP truly amazing. It is without a doubt, the best sim I have ever used. I recommend it if you are more stats minded. I used to have a fun game called Tonly Larussa's Ultimate baseball but don't know when they stopped making it. I had the 1992 version and loved it.
          sigpic
          Washington? Good Grief!

Comment

Also, a friend of mine at work was telling me about this game he used to play before the glorious days of the internet. He said it was designed by Bill James and that the company actually sent him a rulebook with the scoring sytem every year. Of course the story goes he threw them all out and would like to get a copy of one somewhere. I thought this would be the place to ask around. Thanks in advance for any help on either question.
            The game that Bill James played and made suggestions in some of the design of the game is called Ball Park Baseball, a card and dice game that was created by Charles Sidman, a retired professor. The game was quite popular at the University of Kansas (there was even a restaurant that went by the same name, Ball Park, where folks would congregate to play this game including Bill James. Bill James mentions Ball Park in his 1984 Annual Baseball Abstract.

Ball Park is still being produced and has available every major league season from 1894 to the present. If you google Ball Park Baseball you will be able to get the official game website as well as a fan based website that has some interesting articles (including references to Bill James that include his comments in the 1984 Abstract.

Bill

Comment

You might as well wait a little bit. The next version in the series is due for release this spring and pre-orders get $10 off. I personally think it's the most realistic baseball sim that currently exist and definitely worth every penny if not more.

Comment

Agreed. Best baseball game out there. The amount of options it gives you is ridiculous. You could play the game for a couple of years and not take advantage of all the features it has.
                The Tortured Phanatic -- Rants and thoughts from a lifelong Philly sports fan.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X