Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baseball Mogul?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Baseball Mogul?

    Does anyone know anything about this game? Is it any good? Does it contain historical rosters? For instance, could I be the GM for the 1901 Pirates?

  • #2
    It does contain historical rosters, and it's okay if you're not looking for the full experience, just the basic management sim, but it's not as in-depth as you could get with say, OOTP. I'm also not sure if it imports historical rookies automatically, so once you get about 20 years in, there's a chance that you'd be playing without real players.

    Comment


    • #3
      What is OOTP and does it have historical players?

      EDIT: I see now that it is Out of the Park.

      So is the consensus that OOTP is better? I don't necessarily care that much about in game management. The things I care most about are having historical players such that I could start managing a past team if I wanted, and realistic simulation.
      Last edited by DoubleX; 04-04-2008, 12:13 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Here's a rule of thumb for OOTP: it has everything.

        http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/cms/...=ootp-baseball
        CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

        1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

        Comment


        • #5
          Baseball Mogul is a very good program for historic baseball. The only thing is, when you do manage a team, the program acts like there has always been inflation - players will be asking for big contracts from the start.

          Baseball Mogul has a ton of historic players, though towards the end of some drafts, you might find some fake guys - but they never seem to make the majors, they just serve as a fill in.

          Baseball Mogul is also easy to use, very user friendly. I think it is eaiser to find statistics on Mogul, I tried OOTP once and I had a hard time finding stats. Mogul also has an easy player finder, which I don't know if OOTP has.

          If I were you, i'd download the Mogul Demo 1st, just to see if you like the interface and how the program runs, and then buy the full thing. I don't believe you can sim from 1901 in the demo, only like the 2008 season, 1998, 1988 ect I believe. But if you buy the whole thing, you can start from 1901 and go as far as you want. I did that with the Yankees (then Baltimore Orioles) started in 1901 and right now i'm up to about 1967.
          LETS GO YANKEES!

          Comment


          • #6
            There are exactly two problems with OOTP. One is that you need to download everything yourself. The other is that the menus are a little confusing. Once you're used to the menus, and you're set with all your DBs, then OOTP is practically unbeatable.

            Mogul is decent as far as user-friendliness is concerned, but personally, I find OOTP to be a bit better in that regard, simply because it's what I'm used to. It also has more realistic results.

            DX, Jordan is right, try the free demos of each product first. If you need any help getting the 1901 season, I'd be happy to help. You can do that with the demo in OOTP, though not in Mogul.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Erik Bedard View Post
              There are exactly two problems with OOTP. One is that you need to download everything yourself. The other is that the menus are a little confusing. Once you're used to the menus, and you're set with all your DBs, then OOTP is practically unbeatable.

              Mogul is decent as far as user-friendliness is concerned, but personally, I find OOTP to be a bit better in that regard, simply because it's what I'm used to. It also has more realistic results.

              DX, Jordan is right, try the free demos of each product first. If you need any help getting the 1901 season, I'd be happy to help. You can do that with the demo in OOTP, though not in Mogul.
              Yea, the nice thing about mogul though, is you don't need to go find downloads to put into the program to load historical rookies and stuff like that, they are put in automaticly by the program as you go along.

              OOTP is most likely more realistic, i've noticed some flaws in BBM08. Like Babe Ruth hitting like Jason Giambi (batting .250 a season with a ton of K's)
              LETS GO YANKEES!

              Comment


              • #8
                OOTP is about all i know how to use. Its what we use in the league I posted

                Comment


                • #9
                  There is a new Baseball Mogul that just came out.

                  Also, does one game have more historical players than the other? What about stadiums?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You can have every player who ever played if you want with OOTP. You do have to download a database (there are about three versions now, but all are free for download from the OOTP add ons link). You can also download player photos and stadium drawings for use in the game. Don't know if Mogul has that capability, since it's been a long time since I played Mogul. Both have free demos you can download. OOTP also lets you sim the minor leagues if you want, and watch your players develop. Again, I don't recall Mogul having that capability. Incidentally, DX, I know you spend a lot of time in the HOF thread and I believe you are interested in the Negro Leagues. A couple of guys have created a large group of Negro League players for use with OOTP - again, a free download. And I think there are databases going back to 1876, but I may have that confused with Diamond Mind. If you are looking for the most accurate replay and don't really care about the general manager type stuff, you might consider Diamond Mind or STrat-O-Matic, but I can tell you that in each case they would be much more expensive to replay an entire history of the game than either OOTP or Mogul.

                    Interestingly, a lot of guys who use OOTP never use any historical players. What they like doing is creating their own "baseball universe", complete with leagues from majors down to A level if desired.The game creates all of the players.
                    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In Mogul, the stadiums are the historic stadiums, but you never really notice them changing unless you know where to look. Also, in Mogul it seems like if you draw a big crowd, your team will build more stands - it seemed like when my team build Yankee Stadium, they completed the original plans building seats in the OF, as I had 82,000 fans going to a game for a time! Now it's back down to around 40-50,000.

                      But yes there are historic parks.

                      Mogul does not allow you to sim minor league games where you can see the result and box score, but if you click on your minor league players, you can see how they are currently doing at their level, and if you click on the log, you can see how they did in the minors in their past ten games.

                      Mogul has player photos, but they are mostly with the modern players, I've only seen maybe one or two players with photo's in my season from 1901-1967.
                      LETS GO YANKEES!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by catcher24 View Post
                        You can have every player who ever played if you want with OOTP. You do have to download a database (there are about three versions now, but all are free for download from the OOTP add ons link). You can also download player photos and stadium drawings for use in the game. Don't know if Mogul has that capability, since it's been a long time since I played Mogul. Both have free demos you can download. OOTP also lets you sim the minor leagues if you want, and watch your players develop. Again, I don't recall Mogul having that capability. Incidentally, DX, I know you spend a lot of time in the HOF thread and I believe you are interested in the Negro Leagues. A couple of guys have created a large group of Negro League players for use with OOTP - again, a free download. And I think there are databases going back to 1876, but I may have that confused with Diamond Mind. If you are looking for the most accurate replay and don't really care about the general manager type stuff, you might consider Diamond Mind or STrat-O-Matic, but I can tell you that in each case they would be much more expensive to replay an entire history of the game than either OOTP or Mogul.

                        Interestingly, a lot of guys who use OOTP never use any historical players. What they like doing is creating their own "baseball universe", complete with leagues from majors down to A level if desired.The game creates all of the players.
                        That pretty much sums up OOTP. Another thing I might add is that you can get any player from any era playing with any other player from any other era -- even many Negro Leaguers, as Lew pointed out, and I've even got a DB for Japanese players. Not everybody who ever played, but the best, certainly. Imagine a lineup with Babe Ruth, Josh Gibson, and Saduhara Oh. In OOTP, it's all possible.

                        The other main selling point of OOTP is that it's licensed by Baseball Prospectus, and it includes several of BP's advanced stats, such as VORP, DERA, and I'm not sure, but I think it also has WARP. If you like stats, then OOTP is perfect for you.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JordanDL3891 View Post
                          In Mogul, the stadiums are the historic stadiums, but you never really notice them changing unless you know where to look. Also, in Mogul it seems like if you draw a big crowd, your team will build more stands - it seemed like when my team build Yankee Stadium, they completed the original plans building seats in the OF, as I had 82,000 fans going to a game for a time! Now it's back down to around 40-50,000.

                          But yes there are historic parks.

                          Mogul does not allow you to sim minor league games where you can see the result and box score, but if you click on your minor league players, you can see how they are currently doing at their level, and if you click on the log, you can see how they did in the minors in their past ten games.

                          Mogul has player photos, but they are mostly with the modern players, I've only seen maybe one or two players with photo's in my season from 1901-1967.
                          Thanks for that info.It's been so long since I played Mogul that I really couldn't remember what all it had. I think I last played using V. 3. What are they up to now? I played most of my OOTP using V 6.5 and I liked it quite a bit. I actually ran a concurrent season of the Classic Keeper League with OOTP, while leecemark used Diamond Mind. I may have been prejudiced, but I think OOTP actually gave more realistic stats than DM, whose strongest selling point is the accuracy of replays (which I haven't really seen to date). So at least IMHO the replay stats with OOTP will be pretty decent, too. However, there is a major difference - in OOTP, a player who wasn't really an all star may have a HOF career, while a guy who played a long time might get injured and be done. As examples, I had Johnny Morris (a decent pitcher from the teens/20s), and he won the Cy Young Award twice for me. Conversely, I had Luis Tiant. In one of his early seasons, he sustained a career ending injury.
                          You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by catcher24 View Post
                            Thanks for that info.It's been so long since I played Mogul that I really couldn't remember what all it had. I think I last played using V. 3. What are they up to now? I played most of my OOTP using V 6.5 and I liked it quite a bit. I actually ran a concurrent season of the Classic Keeper League with OOTP, while leecemark used Diamond Mind. I may have been prejudiced, but I think OOTP actually gave more realistic stats than DM, whose strongest selling point is the accuracy of replays (which I haven't really seen to date). So at least IMHO the replay stats with OOTP will be pretty decent, too. However, there is a major difference - in OOTP, a player who wasn't really an all star may have a HOF career, while a guy who played a long time might get injured and be done. As examples, I had Johnny Morris (a decent pitcher from the teens/20s), and he won the Cy Young Award twice for me. Conversely, I had Luis Tiant. In one of his early seasons, he sustained a career ending injury.
                            Yea, that happens in Mogul too. One flaw mogul has, is if the player isn't retired but dead, he will still play. Like Lou Gehrig - he was still hitting for somereason idk why, I had to retire him manualy by going into the editior.

                            My problem with OOTP is it's confusing and I don't like their replacement logo's for teams. Yes, the logo's are unimportant, but they should at least try to make them resemble the real teams logos, like Baseballl-Fever.
                            LETS GO YANKEES!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by catcher24 View Post
                              Thanks for that info.It's been so long since I played Mogul that I really couldn't remember what all it had. I think I last played using V. 3. What are they up to now? I played most of my OOTP using V 6.5 and I liked it quite a bit. I actually ran a concurrent season of the Classic Keeper League with OOTP, while leecemark used Diamond Mind. I may have been prejudiced, but I think OOTP actually gave more realistic stats than DM, whose strongest selling point is the accuracy of replays (which I haven't really seen to date). So at least IMHO the replay stats with OOTP will be pretty decent, too. However, there is a major difference - in OOTP, a player who wasn't really an all star may have a HOF career, while a guy who played a long time might get injured and be done. As examples, I had Johnny Morris (a decent pitcher from the teens/20s), and he won the Cy Young Award twice for me. Conversely, I had Luis Tiant. In one of his early seasons, he sustained a career ending injury.
                              I've had the same sort of thing happen. Harry Howell and Rube Kroh were two of the best pitchers ever, Jimmy Sheckard won an unbelievable eight of nine MVPs, and Don Mattingly retired after three years. Of course, Babe Ruth (Indians) and Lou Gehrig (Cardinals) were multi-time MVPs as well, so it does give realistic results in that regard. Now I'll have to open my old file and put up a report because I can't remember any more.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X