Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All-Time A-Z Draft Playoffs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • All-Time A-Z Draft Playoffs

    Format: 8-team, single-series elimination bracket. The first round will be a "pretend" best-of 9 series. The second-round will be a "pretend" best of 11 series and the championship round will be a best of 13 series. This is so team depth will be a factor. Mathchups will be randomly chosen by me (not my wife this time ) Bracket will be preset as there are no seeds and no way to re-seed.

    Round one will be a HHH-AAAA-HH format
    Round two will be a HHHH-AAAAA-HH format
    Round three will be a HHHHH- AAAAAA- HH format

    The team with the best w% in the previous round will get HFA.

    Voting: The team with 5 votes moves-on. Everyone will also list a series record (5-3, 7-6, etc.) based on how far they think the series will go. In case of a 4-4 voter tie, the team with the highest predicted series winning% will move-on.

    Preparation:

    Everyone MUST:

    1. Present a lineup vs. RHP and a lineup vs. LHP
    2. List a 5-man rotation
    3. List at least three perceived strengths and three perceived weakness of their roster.

    Everyone CAN:

    Denote any other notes of interest desired : who the pinch runner will be, who will be covering what position in case of injury, who the closer will be, etc.
    People can be as invested or not-invested in this portion as they chose.

    Timeframe:

    1. I will present the bracket as very shortly.
    2. Let's try to have our team write-ups and lineups completed today.
    3. Voting will begin tomorrow morning.


    PLEASE let me know if anything does not make sense or if you think something will not work!
    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 03-01-2021, 06:02 AM.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

  • #2
    Bracket:

    Round 1 Left Bracket:

    Henrich (A) will play BigRon (H)

    Chad (A) will play Bothrops (H)

    The winners will play each other, obviously.



    Round 1 Right Bracket:

    Milladrive (A) will play Toledo (H)

    Stieb (A) will play Jar (H)

    Winners play each other. Du-Doy.
    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 03-01-2021, 06:02 AM.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

    Comment


    • #3
      I won't be able to work on this until at least Tuesday night, perhaps out to Thursday. Could we have an extension?
      "Cut off my wrists, and 'Park Chan-Ho, 20 wins!'"
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPqaa9w-_Zs


      Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

      Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

      Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
        I won't be able to work on this until at least Tuesday night, perhaps out to Thursday. Could we have an extension?
        of course. Let's shoot for Wednesday unless we hear from you that you need more time. We will just take it a day-at-a-time.
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

        1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

        1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


        The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

        Comment


        • #5
          I would like to offer an option here: if you guys want, I am willing to set this up in a Strat-O-Matic league. The stats would be based on career averages for MLB and best 7 seasons (for which we have data) for Negro Leaguers. Any interest?
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
            I would like to offer an option here: if you guys want, I am willing to set this up in a Strat-O-Matic league. The stats would be based on career averages for MLB and best 7 seasons (for which we have data) for Negro Leaguers. Any interest?
            I like this. I had been wondering if there were a decent way to simulate with such discordant rosters. If you need any SOM seasons in particular, just ask. I've got pretty much everything but 1972 and 1974, which are currently on loan (and may forever be).

            I actually prefer simulation over voting. Voting is nice and all, especially since there are such knowledgeable people here, but simulation, done properly, offers a more accurate picture of what the actual outcomes would be. Not to mention, it makes campaigning unnecessary. ...altho it can make for some good debate, which is never a bad thing.
            Put it in the books.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
              Format: 8-team, single-series elimination bracket. The first round will be a "pretend" best-of 9 series. The second-round will be a "pretend" best of 11 series and the championship round will be a best of 13 series. This is so team depth will be a factor. Mathchups will be randomly chosen by me (not my wife this time ) Bracket will be preset as there are no seeds and no way to re-seed.

              Round one will be a HHH-AAAA-HH format
              Round two will be a HHHH-AAAAA-HH format
              Round three will be a HHHHH- AAAAAA- HH format

              The team with the best w% in the previous round will get HFA.

              Voting: The team with 5 votes moves-on. Everyone will also list a series record (5-3, 7-6, etc.) based on how far they think the series will go. In case of a 4-4 voter tie, the team with the highest predicted series winning% will move-on.

              Preparation:

              Everyone MUST:

              1. Present a lineup vs. RHP and a lineup vs. LHP
              2. List a 5-man rotation
              3. List at least three perceived strengths and three perceived weakness of their roster.

              Everyone CAN:

              Denote any other notes of interest desired : who the pinch runner will be, who will be covering what position in case of injury, who the closer will be, etc.
              People can be as invested or not-invested in this portion as they chose.

              Timeframe:

              1. I will present the bracket as very shortly.
              2. Let's try to have our team write-ups and lineups completed today.
              3. Voting will begin tomorrow morning.


              PLEASE let me know if anything does not make sense or if you think something will not work!
              I'm still a little confused. Will we be voting on how we think the best-of series would turn out?
              Put it in the books.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by milladrive View Post

                I'm still a little confused. Will we be voting on how we think the best-of series would turn out?
                Yes.......
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                  I would like to offer an option here: if you guys want, I am willing to set this up in a Strat-O-Matic league. The stats would be based on career averages for MLB and best 7 seasons (for which we have data) for Negro Leaguers. Any interest?
                  I mean that is fine with me - just not sure why we are talking about this now. We started this 17 days ago and I even threw out the idea of people running a sim if they had the ability on day 1. You could have saved me time and blabbering if we discussed 2.5 weeks ago.

                  I would have done something different with the 26th pick than managers too. I certainly agree that siming is a better option.
                  1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                  1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                  1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                  The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                  The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Why don't we just step back and talk about it for a day or so- see if we can get everyone's input.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Either way would be a cool approach for me.

                      My question for a sim is in players out of position, starters moved to relief, guys higher up on the defensive spectrum moved lower (CF playing 1B), etc.
                      Do we have comfort in how this would be handled?
                      Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
                      http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
                        I mean that is fine with me - just not sure why we are talking about this now. We started this 17 days ago and I even threw out the idea of people running a sim if they had the ability on day 1. You could have saved me time and blabbering if we discussed 2.5 weeks ago.

                        I would have done something different with the 26th pick than managers too. I certainly agree that siming is a better option.
                        I happened to be purchasing the 2020 disk yesterday and saw (just then) that the career historical disk is now being offered at a discount. I am willing to put the work in and pay for something I normally wouldn't buy just because I thought it would be fun, if everyone else thought so too. I didn't have the ability on Day 1. I'm more than happy to save the money and time to set things up if people would rather do this by election.

                        Believe me, there's nothing I'd rather do that save people around here from blabbering unnecessarily - myself included. I'm not going to pull the trigger unless people would prefer the sim. If they do, I'm more than happy to pick up the set and do the work. It'll just take a couple days to set up.

                        There's no reason we can't do both. I could run the sim after the election and we could compare the results. Whatever the group wants.
                        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I would be interested in seeing the sim results and thank you for offering it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                            I happened to be purchasing the 2020 disk yesterday and saw (just then) that the career historical disk is now being offered at a discount. I am willing to put the work in and pay for something I normally wouldn't buy just because I thought it would be fun, if everyone else thought so too. I didn't have the ability on Day 1. I'm more than happy to save the money and time to set things up if people would rather do this by election.

                            Believe me, there's nothing I'd rather do that save people around here from blabbering unnecessarily - myself included. I'm not going to pull the trigger unless people would prefer the sim. If they do, I'm more than happy to pick up the set and do the work. It'll just take a couple days to set up.

                            There's no reason we can't do both. I could run the sim after the election and we could compare the results. Whatever the group wants.
                            I have been for simulation from the beginning but nobody said anything about it so I figured it wasn't an option. Sim away!
                            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                            1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                            1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                            The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'll give it a day here, but I will look into how the sim handles positional flexibility and stuff like that in the meantime. If that's the consensus instead of, or after, an election system, then I should have something ready mid-week.
                              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X