New Draft League(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Draft League(?)

First, I'd like to thank ian2183 for a splendid job running the last draft despite being stationed halfway across the world. Congrats to our winner, Matthew C.

Ian and myself toyed with a few ideas for another draft. A lot of the previous drafters seemed eager to start another, so here are our ideas:

1) Players who've played for at least 4 teams- Tyrus4189Cobb
    2) Players who've missed at least one entire season- Tyrus4189Cobb
    3) Players with less than 12 years played- Tyrus4189Cobb
    4) Under 50 WAR Draft- ian2813
    5) Newfangled Player Per Team Draft- ian2813
    6) World Series Losers Draft- ian2813
    7) All-Time [insert franchise here] Player Seasons Draft- ian2813
    8) Anti-Draft- ian2813
    9) All-Time Uniform Number Draft- ian2813
    10) All-Time Foreign-Born Draft- ian2813
    11) Player Per State Draft- ian2813

Number five refers to a Player Per Team draft like before, only with more expansion teams. Number eight refers to building the worst teams possible (though it's more of a jest).

Feel free to contribute ideas and I hope to start a new draft soon. Again, I'm willing to run it, but I give priority to anyone who wishes to take a turn at hosting.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Thanks for posting my ideas, Tyrus!

I just thought I should clarify what some of these draft proposals are in case there's any confusion.

7) All-Time [insert franchise here] Player Seasons Draft

What we'd do is choose a franchise, then draft player seasons from that franchise only. The challenge would be that each year in the franchise's history can only be selected from a limited number of times, and each player can only be selected once.

Let's say we chose the Yankees as our franchise and there was a limit of two picks from each year. If one person picks 1921 Babe Ruth and another person picks 1921 Carl Mays, both players are off the board, as well as any future picks from 1921. Since Ruth played left field, center field, first base and pitcher that year, he could be used as a starter or backup at any of those positions by the person who picks him.

We'd judge each team by how well we think they'd do over the course of a full season.

9) All-Time Uniform Number Draft

An all-time draft where each participant may only select one player per uniform number. Since most players change uniform numbers at some point in their careers, we could make a rule that the player had to have worn the number for a certain number of seasons to be selected for it. Uniform number information is available through Baseball Almanac and Baseball-Reference, so if you weren't sure, you could look it up in one of those places.

10) All-Time Foreign-Born Draft

Baseball may be America's National Pastime, but many other countries have contributed to the game's rich history. In this all-time draft you could only select players born outside the United States. It would undoubtedly be dominated by Latino players, but there are many good choices from non-Latin countries too.

11) Player Per State Draft

In this draft you could only select one player per U.S. state of birth. The limit may not seem too constrictive with 50 states to choose from (plus Washington, D.C.), but many states aren't particularly deep in talent while others have more than enough of it, so some strategy would definitely be involved.
    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

This isn't some sort of official vote or anything, but the ones that interest me most among this group are numbers 1, 2, 7 and 11. Of course, I'd be willing to do any of them (except perhaps Anti-Draft).
      Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

I like the world series losers draft.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
          7) All-Time [insert franchise here] Player Seasons Draft

What we'd do is choose a franchise, then draft player seasons from that franchise only. The challenge would be that each year in the franchise's history can only be selected from a limited number of times, and each player can only be selected once.

Let's say we chose the Yankees as our franchise and there was a limit of two picks from each year. If one person picks 1921 Babe Ruth and another person picks 1921 Carl Mays, both players are off the board, as well as any future picks from 1921. Since Ruth played left field, center field, first base and pitcher that year, he could be used as a starter or backup at any of those positions by the person who picks him.

We'd judge each team by how well we think they'd do over the course of a full season.

9) All-Time Uniform Number Draft

An all-time draft where each participant may only select one player per uniform number. Since most players change uniform numbers at some point in their careers, we could make a rule that the player had to have worn the number for a certain number of seasons to be selected for it. Uniform number information is available through Baseball Almanac and Baseball-Reference, so if you weren't sure, you could look it up in one of those places.

10) All-Time Foreign-Born Draft

Baseball may be America's National Pastime, but many other countries have contributed to the game's rich history. In this all-time draft you could only select players born outside the United States. It would undoubtedly be dominated by Latino players, but there are many good choices from non-Latin countries too.

11) Player Per State Draft

In this draft you could only select one player per U.S. state of birth. The limit may not seem too constrictive with 50 states to choose from (plus Washington, D.C.), but many states aren't particularly deep in talent while others have more than enough of it, so some strategy would definitely be involved.
          I think the Player per State draft might have enough to choose from. I think number 7 is almost certainly too constrictive, and wouldn't be surprised if #9 is (although I have no idea). With only one franchise, there's a very limited pool of players, and we're restricting it more by saying we can only pick X players from a certain year. And say we limit it to the Yankees, I'm pretty sure whoever picks Babe Ruth just won the entire draft, because he's so far ahead of his competition.

I'm uncertain whether or not I'll be able to participate.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
            I think the Player per State draft might have enough to choose from. I think number 7 is almost certainly too constrictive, and wouldn't be surprised if #9 is (although I have no idea). With only one franchise, there's a very limited pool of players, and we're restricting it more by saying we can only pick X players from a certain year. And say we limit it to the Yankees, I'm pretty sure whoever picks Babe Ruth just won the entire draft, because he's so far ahead of his competition.

I'm uncertain whether or not I'll be able to participate.
            The thing about #7 is that you wouldn't be drafting players based on their careers, you'd be drafting them based on individual seasons. Lots of guys have managed to put together outstanding seasons despite not finishing their careers as immortals. If, for instance, our team were the Tigers, you could draft 1961 Norm Cash and he'd be more valuable to you than Hank Greenberg in any of his best seasons. If we only had 6 to 8 people participating, there'd probably be enough good individual seasons for each team to have a suitable lineup. One thing I like about it is that our teams would end up looking more like real-life teams than All-Star teams.

I don't think #9 would be too constrictive. If anything, I don't think it'd be constrictive enough. I mean, it would eliminate everyone who played primarily before the uniform number era, but that still leaves plenty of good options, as there are more commonly-used numbers than roster spots to fill.

Besides those proposals I went into depth about, were there any others that sounded interesting to you, Wade?
            Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

I'm for anything, but I especially like 1,2,10, and 11. Shall we hold some sort of vote?
              "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

I'm guessing we'll hold a vote once enough interested parties have weighed in on this thread.
                Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
                  The thing about #7 is that you wouldn't be drafting players based on their careers, you'd be drafting them based on individual seasons. Lots of guys have managed to put together outstanding seasons despite not finishing their careers as immortals. If, for instance, our team were the Tigers, you could draft 1961 Norm Cash and he'd be more valuable to you than Hank Greenberg in any of his best seasons. If we only had 6 to 8 people participating, there'd probably be enough good individual seasons for each team to have a suitable lineup. One thing I like about it is that our teams would end up looking more like real-life teams than All-Star teams.
                  Making it single season certainly helps, but teams usually only have at most a couple players at each position that're particularly good.

Let's use the Yankees as an example:
                  1B - Gehrig, Mattingly, Tino Martinez, Teixeira, Jason Giambi
                  2B - Cano, Knoblauch, Lazzeri
                  SS - Jeter
                  3B - A-Rod, Boggs, HR Baker
                  C - Berra, Posada, Dickey, Munson, Elston Howard
                  LF - Babe Ruth, Dave Winfield, Roy White, Bob Meusel
                  RF - Hank Bauer, Paul O'Neill, Gary Sheffield, Roger Maris, Willie Keeler,
                  CF - Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Bernie Williams,
                  DH - Nick Johnson

Admittedly, this was a quick list, but not a single position has enough good players for even 6 teams. And there's a huge dropoff between Babe Ruth an Dave Winfield.

I don't think #9 would be too constrictive. If anything, I don't think it'd be constrictive enough. I mean, it would eliminate everyone who played primarily before the uniform number era, but that still leaves plenty of good options, as there are more commonly-used numbers than roster spots to fill.
                  Like I said, I don't know. But you're probably right.

Besides those proposals I went into depth about, were there any others that sounded interesting to you, Wade?
                  I'm not too interested in the under 50 WAR one.

The "Less than 12 years" might turn into "a bunch of modern players plus a few others". Which is fine, but I dunno if that's what you guys were hoping for.

Other than that (and what I mentioned before), they all seem alright.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
                    Making it single season certainly helps, but teams usually only have at most a couple players at each position that're particularly good.

Let's use the Yankees as an example:
                    1B - Gehrig, Mattingly, Tino Martinez, Teixeira, Jason Giambi
                    2B - Cano, Knoblauch, Lazzeri
                    SS - Jeter
                    3B - A-Rod, Boggs, HR Baker
                    C - Berra, Posada, Dickey, Munson, Elston Howard
                    LF - Babe Ruth, Dave Winfield, Roy White, Bob Meusel
                    RF - Hank Bauer, Paul O'Neill, Gary Sheffield, Roger Maris, Willie Keeler,
                    CF - Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Bernie Williams,
                    DH - Nick Johnson

Admittedly, this was a quick list, but not a single position has enough good players for even 6 teams. And there's a huge dropoff between Babe Ruth an Dave Winfield.
                    Some guys you forgot:

C - Wynegar, Stanley, Schang
                    1B - Chase, Pipp, Skowron, Chambliss
                    2B - Williams, Randolph, Soriano, Gordon, Stirnweiss, Pratt
                    3B - Rolfe, Boyer, Nettles, Brosius, Ventura, Sewell, Maisel, Conroy
                    SS - Rizzuto, Dent, Kubek, Tresh, McDougald, Peckinpaugh, Elberfeld, Crosetti
                    LF - Keller, Chapman, Cree, Woodling
                    CF - Combs, Rivers, Henderson, Murcer, Granderson
                    RF - Henrich, Selkirk, Barfield, Jackson, Bonds

You're not looking for great players, you're looking for anyone who ever had a good season at the position for the team. Some of these guys' best seasons were as good as the best seasons of the guys who had the better overall careers.
                    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

I'm surprised there's not more discussion on this thread. Anybody else? Do you have any draft ideas? Are there any ideas on this list that appeal to you?
                      Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

How about a draft where there is no minimum number of games played at a position. Many of the drafts I've been in there is always an argument about which position a player is eligible to play at or an argumemt about minimum number of games played at that position. What about a draft where there is no minimum. If you draft a player you can play him at any position you want provided he has played at that position sometime during his career.

Example: If I draft Pete Rose. He has played: 939 games at first base, 628 games at second base, 634 games at third base, 673 games in left field, 73 games in center field, and 590 games in right field.

Why not have a draft where I can draft him and play him in any one of those positions even my center fielder if I choose?
                        Last edited by John Shoemaker; 10-15-2011, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
                          How about a draft where there is no minimum number of games played at a position. Many of the drafts I've been in there is always an argument about which position a player is eligible to play at or an argumemt about minimum number of games played at that position. What about a draft where there is no minimum. If you draft a player you can play him at any position you want provided he has played at that position sometime during his career.

Example: If I draft Pete Rose. He has played: 939 games at first base, 628 games at second base, 634 games at third base, 673 games in left field, 73 games in center field, and 590 games in right field.

Why not have a draft where I can draft him and play him in any one of those positions even my center fielder if I choose?
                          You'd definitely end up with some interesting lineups. Of course, we'd probably have to take into account how well we think the player would do at that position full-time when voting.
                          Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

I'm definitely interested in another draft league. I haven't given much thought to the format yet.

Comment

What would #5 look like?
                              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X