Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
    What would #5 look like?
    Glad you asked! The Newfangled Player Per Team Draft would work just like the original Player Per Team Draft, except the franchise pool would be constructed differently. You would have to make one selection from each of:

All 14 expansion franchises
    All six modern-era franchises that are no longer in their 1903 cities
    The four 1903-city franchises that introduced cookie-cutter ballparks in the late-'60s/early-'70s
    One Wild Card of the three remaining teams that have newer ballparks at least ten years old

For the "Original 16" franchises that are included, the cutoffs for the players to meet the minimum-game requirements would follow the "newfangled" changes the franchises made, whether moving to a new city or a new ballpark.

In other words, the franchise pool would be:

Arizona Diamondbacks
    Atlanta/Milwaukee Braves (1953-present)
    Baltimore Orioles (1954-present)
    Cincinnati Reds (1970-present)
    Colorado Rockies
    Florida Marlins
    Houston Astros/Colt .45s
    Kansas City Royals
    Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim/Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels
    Los Angeles Dodgers (1958-present)
    Milwaukee Brewers/Seattle Pilots
    Minnesota Twins (1961-present)
    New York Mets
    Oakland/Kansas City Athletics (1955-present)
    Philadelphia Phillies (1971-present)
    Pittsburgh Pirates (1970-present)
    San Diego Padres
    San Francisco Giants (1958-present)
    Seattle Mariners
    St. Louis Cardinals (1966-present)
    Tampa Bay Rays/Devil Rays
    Texas Rangers/Washington Senators (1961-present)
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Washington Nationals/Montreal Expos
    Wild Card of either Chicago White Sox (1991-present), Cleveland Indians (1994-present) or Detroit Tigers (2000-present)

So for instance, if you wanted to pick from the Giants, you could take Willie Mays, since he spent most of his career in San Francisco (and would certainly meet the minimum-game requirement), but you couldn't take Mel Ott, because he spent his entire career in New York. If you were picking from the Pirates, you could draft Willie Stargell, since he played a significant amount of his career in Three Rivers Stadium, but not Roberto Clemente, as he would likely fall short of the minimum.

It's a bit complicated, I know, but the original draft that it's based on was a blast, and this is just a new spin on it.
    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

#5 sounds like a good one to do. Especially due to it being a little complicated would make it more strategic.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Perhaps we should do the vote now, since more people have commented in this thread. How would be the best way to do it? Rank your top 3 choices, or something like that?
        Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Sounds good to me. Three points for your top choice, that ordeal? If so:

1) Player per State
          2) Players who've played for 4+ teams
          3) Players who've missed an entire season
          Last edited by Tyrus4189Cobb; 10-16-2011, 06:34 PM.
          "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
            Sounds good to me. Three points for your top choice, that ordeal?
            Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Here's my vote:

1) Player Per State
            2) Players Who've Played For at Least Four Teams (Could we give this one a catchy title? The Nomad Draft? I dunno.)
            3) Newfangled Player Per Team Draft
            Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
              Players Who've Played For at Least Four Teams (Could we give this one a catchy title? The Nomad Draft? I dunno.)
              I like it!

Comment

I think a WS losers draft would be good on the heels of the WS winners draft. But I would want to start in about a week and a half so I could pick up Albert Pujols again.
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Yeah I like the WS losers draft too and #5 would be my 2nd choice followed by the players on 4 teams draft.
                  "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                    I think a WS losers draft would be good on the heels of the WS winners draft. But I would want to start in about a week and a half so I could pick up Albert Pujols again.
                    What, he's not available from 2004?
                    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

What, he's not available from 2004?
                      Oh yeah, forgot about that one?

Well, Carp would be available for the first time, at least...for the bottom of the draft.

Comment

I'll do WS Losers, but wouldn't y'all rather save that one? I mean, we just did one with the same premise.

Which one is it looking like? Am I still to host it or would someone else like a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
                          I'll do WS Losers, but wouldn't y'all rather save that one? I mean, we just did one with the same premise.
                          That's my thinking too. I'll do it if it's what the majority wants, but my preference would be to do something a little different than what we just did.

Which one is it looking like? Am I still to host it or would someone else like a turn?
                          Well, if we're awarding three points for a first-place vote, two points for a second-place vote and one point for a third-place vote (since Matthew only listed one draft he wanted to do, I'll simply give his lone choice three points), it currently looks like this:

Player Per State Draft - 6
                          World Series Losers Draft - 6
                          Nomad Draft - 5
                          Newfangled Player Per Team Draft - 3
                          Players Who Missed an Entire Season - 1 (we need a catchy title for this one too. How about the Gap Draft?)

It looks like we have a first-place tie. Does anyone else want to cast a vote? Does anyone want to ask any questions about these proposals before voting? Does Matthew want to expand his vote?
                          Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

I'll try to cast a vote tomorrow- give me a little time to look at it, if that's okay.

Comment

That's my thinking too. I'll do it if it's what the majority wants, but my preference would be to do something a little different than what we just did.

Well, if we're awarding three points for a first-place vote, two points for a second-place vote and one point for a third-place vote (since Matthew only listed one draft he wanted to do, I'll simply give his lone choice three points), it currently looks like this:

Nomad Draft - 5
                              Players Who Missed an Entire Season - 1 (we need a catchy title for this one too. How about the Gap Draft?)

It looks like we have a first-place tie. Does anyone else want to cast a vote? Does anyone want to ask any questions about these proposals before voting? Does Matthew want to expand his vote?
                              I am very interested in the 4-team draft too.

Comment

If Matthew's second choice is the four-teamer, it looks like we have a new leader:

Nomad Draft - 7
                                Gap Draft - 1
                                Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X