Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Draft League(?)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by BigRon View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but 5 feels like too few.
    I PMed Sockeye. Is six a good number? It pretty much ends up being like that anyway for every draft because the bigger ones always have dropouts.

    Is D.C. game for the Player Per State Draft?
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
      I PMed Sockeye. Is six a good number? It pretty much ends up being like that anyway for every draft because the bigger ones always have dropouts.
      Six seems like a good enough number for me, though I'd be happy to have more than that if there were more interested parties. John Shoemaker gave a suggestion earlier in this thread. Do you think he might be interested?

      Is D.C. game for the Player Per State Draft?
      I was assuming it would be, which means we'd have 51 jurisdictions to select from rather than 50. Of course, if you're running the draft, you can set it up however you want.
      Baseball Junk Drawer

      Comment


      • #48
        So wait, are we doing player per state or 4 teams? I want to participate, but I've been getting busier, and don't want to let you guys down. My main issue is research. Well, that and I'm currently deployed to Kuwait, so I'm in a drastically different time zone than any of you, although I think I should be able to work around that.

        I think I'll be able to do this - I'm gonna crank out research and see how much I can get. Let me see where I'm at, and I'll get back to you guys.

        BTW, I assume we're using career stats. Are we accounting for steroids? What positional flexibility do we allow (can a LFer play RF? Can a CFer play both LF and RF? Can a SP be used in the bullpen? What are the requirements to qualify at a position? Do we allow players from the 1800s? Do we allow Negro League players? Do we allow players from the US territories (and if so, which ones? There are apparently different classifications of US territories) - I think I'd like the idea of a 52nd option allowing all territories.
        Last edited by Wade8813; 10-22-2011, 03:50 AM.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
          So wait, are we doing player per state or 4 teams? I want to participate, but I've been getting busier, and don't want to let you guys down. My main issue is research. Well, that and I'm currently deployed to Kuwait, so I'm in a drastically different time zone than any of you, although I think I should be able to work around that.

          I think I'll be able to do this - I'm gonna crank out research and see how much I can get. Let me see where I'm at, and I'll get back to you guys.

          BTW, I assume we're using career stats. Are we accounting for steroids? What positional flexibility do we allow (can a LFer play RF? Can a CFer play both LF and RF? Can a SP be used in the bullpen? What are the requirements to qualify at a position? Do we allow players from the 1800s? Do we allow Negro League players? Do we allow players from the US territories (and if so, which ones? There are apparently different classifications of US territories) - I think I'd like the idea of a 52nd option allowing all territories.
          We're doing Player Per State. For the record, I'm in Korea right now, so I'm in a vastly different time zone than the U.S. as well.

          If Tyrus is leading the draft, then I guess it's his call what type of flexibility we have with positions and whatnot. Your suggestion about using U.S. territories is an interesting one, but it sounds like it has the potential to cause confusion. It'd be simpler if we limited it to the 50 U.S. states plus Washington, DC.
          Baseball Junk Drawer

          Comment


          • #50
            I'm gonna go with:

            1) U.S. States (and DC) only
            2) 19th century players are acceptable
            3) No Negro Leaguers (too vague)
            4) LF can play RF (this is the only positional flexibility)
            5) Designated hitter
            6) A player qualifies at a position if he played at least 300 games (or 20%) of games at the position
            7) Starters (defined as starting 75% of his games) can be used in the bullpen, but not vice-versa
            8) You can only select from one state once
            9) Career values
            10) PEDs discounts to be given on an individual basis, like usual

            Feel free to suggest anything. This premise wasn't even my idea. Are we comfortable with the requirements?
            "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
              I'm gonna go with:

              1) U.S. States (and DC) only
              2) 19th century players are acceptable
              3) No Negro Leaguers (too vague)
              4) LF can play RF (this is the only positional flexibility)
              5) Designated hitter
              6) A player qualifies at a position if he played at least 300 games (or 20%) of games at the position
              7) Starters (defined as starting 75% of his games) can be used in the bullpen, but not vice-versa
              8) You can only select from one state once
              9) Career values
              10) PEDs discounts to be given on an individual basis, like usual

              Feel free to suggest anything. This premise wasn't even my idea. Are we comfortable with the requirements?
              I think that's a good outline, Ty.

              I would also suggest adding:
              - minimum 9 pitchers on 25 man roster
              - minimum 2 catchers

              Comment


              • #52
                The only thing I dont like is 19th century players, I never really know how to compare em. But then again the more players to choose from might be better in a draft like this.
                "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

                "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

                Comment


                • #53
                  Alright, I'm in. I had a bit more free time than I thought, and the research went a bit faster than I expected. I'm not completely done researching, but I have a good starting point.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                    I think that's a good outline, Ty.

                    I would also suggest adding:
                    - minimum 9 pitchers on 25 man roster
                    - minimum 2 catchers
                    I'd prefer 10 pitchers, but everything else looks good.
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                      I'd prefer 10 pitchers, but everything else looks good.
                      Actually, I prefer 10 also. But, occasionally someone will create a 9 man staff, and from my perspective that's an advantage for those of us who have at least 10. It's pretty easy to shoot holes in a 9 man staff, even a great one. There, I've let my secret out of the bag.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        The draft requirements sound good to me.
                        Baseball Junk Drawer

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Cool. It's 11PM in New England. I don't what time that is for you guys in your time zones but I'll get to posting the draft thread and PMing you ASAP.
                          "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I was just re-reading this thread and wondering if there was any interest in doing one of these drafts after the Non-HOF Draft.
                            Baseball Junk Drawer

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I'm deff in. This Non HOF draft is ok but I think the past three I've been a part of have been really fun.
                              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

                              "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
                                I was just re-reading this thread and wondering if there was any interest in doing one of these drafts after the Non-HOF Draft.
                                I am certainly up for participating or even running one.
                                "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X