X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyrus4189Cobb
    started a topic New Draft League(?)

New Draft League(?)

First, I'd like to thank ian2183 for a splendid job running the last draft despite being stationed halfway across the world. Congrats to our winner, Matthew C.

Ian and myself toyed with a few ideas for another draft. A lot of the previous drafters seemed eager to start another, so here are our ideas:

1) Players who've played for at least 4 teams- Tyrus4189Cobb
    2) Players who've missed at least one entire season- Tyrus4189Cobb
    3) Players with less than 12 years played- Tyrus4189Cobb
    4) Under 50 WAR Draft- ian2813
    5) Newfangled Player Per Team Draft- ian2813
    6) World Series Losers Draft- ian2813
    7) All-Time [insert franchise here] Player Seasons Draft- ian2813
    8) Anti-Draft- ian2813
    9) All-Time Uniform Number Draft- ian2813
    10) All-Time Foreign-Born Draft- ian2813
    11) Player Per State Draft- ian2813

Number five refers to a Player Per Team draft like before, only with more expansion teams. Number eight refers to building the worst teams possible (though it's more of a jest).

Feel free to contribute ideas and I hope to start a new draft soon. Again, I'm willing to run it, but I give priority to anyone who wishes to take a turn at hosting.

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    I think I need to amend one "rule"for the Oldtimers teams - anyone can be drafted

For instance there will be 3 Joe DiMaggios 1936, 1941, 1950

But for the period 1960-1979, I am going to limit individual players to a total of TWO picks - in addition to any Oldtimers representation otherwise we could have 10 or more of the same player drafted over and over

Sound like a solution?

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    We will count that as a yes

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    I would do it to fill a slot, but will pass for somebody more interested. Not that I'm not interested, just that I have stuff going on right now that are bigger priorities. Don't worry, if I'm in - I'll stay in.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    cool 2 in

need 4-6 more

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    I am available for it.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Sorry Guys - another half- brained idea.

From my original Strat-O-Matic collection many years ago.

The original oldtimers set (28 teams - they expanded to 14 more teams in future years)
    1922 Giants, 1924 Senators, 1927 Yankees, 1931 A's, 1934 Cards, 1935 Cubs
    1940 Reds, 1941 Yankees, 1941 Dodgers, 1946 Cards, 1946 Red Sox, 1948 Indians
    1950 Yankees, 1950 Phillies, 1953 Dodgers, 1954 Giants, 1954 Indians, 1957 Braves, 1960 Pirates, 1961 Yankees
    1961 Reds, 1961 Tigers, 1962 Giants, 1962 Mets(!), 1965 Dodgers, 1965 Twins, 1967 Cards, 1967 Red Sox

PLUS my original 8 1968 teams
    1968 Tigers, Orioles, Twins, A's, Cards, Giants, Cubs, Braves

PLUS my orignal 1970 set
    all 24 teams

That is 60 teams to choose from somewhat limited, but NO restrictions on any team year or player, other than you can't draft the same player twice (from different years)

you would have to be creative and plan well to stock a great team

note: I could EXPAND this to include the other 14 oldtimer teams, AND ALL 1960 - 1970 teams
    1905 Giants, 1906 CUbs, 1909 Pirates, 1909 Tigers, 1911 A's, 1919 White Sox
    1920 Indians, 1921 Yankees, 1922 Browns, 1927 Pirates, 1929 Cubs, 1933 Giants, 1934 Tigers, 1936 Yankees

All teams 1960-1969
    All teams 1970-1979

no restrictions except can't draft the same player twice

INTEREST?

Leave a comment:

• Wade8813
    replied
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    just had another "different" idea for a draft

all time draft league (+++)
    NO restrictions on who you can draft - you can draft multiple players off the same franchise or even the same year (+++)

BUT, whatever player(s) you do choose - the other guys in the league can eliminate 3 of your players best years

so you like Carl Yastrzemski - well the opposition can eliminate 1967 and 1970 as years eligible

you like Bob Gibson - sorry 1968 is a no go (almost for sure)

you like "one hit wonders" like 1961 Norm Cash - good luck getting that year approved

so in most cases you would be looking at a player's "4th" best year as the year you could use

how to implant the years eliminated is a work in progress but I think it can be done

thoughts?
    I like this idea, but it might make some corner cases harder. Someone might pick a player, only to find out he's no longer eligible at the position they wanted him because he only played there for 3 years (of course, that might not be a problem, but it's something to keep in mind).

here is another idea

players limitations: a drafted player must have a minimum of 200 PA and a maximum of 400 PA and each position must total a minimum of 600 PA

starting pitchers must have a minimum of 162 IP and a maximum of 249 IP

relied pitchers must have a minimum of 50 IP and a maximum of 124 IP

just trying to mix up the same old same old
    The numbers are off on this. Almost every modern pitcher has under 249 IP, but almost no batters have under 400 PA. That means all of the pitchers could be aces, but the batters would all be from strike-shortened years, or be 2nd tier players.

yet another idea

all time draft 1901-2012

you can draft any player any team any year no restrictions except once a player has been drafted for one year he is taken off the board (for all other years)

BUT

the player on offense can not lead the league in MORE than one category of the following: BA HR RBI SLG % OB%

the pitcher can not lead the league in more than one category of the following: Wins, WHIP ERA K IP

triple crown batters - sorry do not qualify

triple crown pitchers - ditto

etc.

thoughts?
    This seems like it would take too much research. Not only would you have to research all the players that normally get picked, you'd have to research players that often don't get picked but might be better in this format. And I think it would be difficult to research - one way I frequently research things is to look at the leaderboards, but of course that wouldn't help too much here.

The first idea definitely sounds interesting to me

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    yet another idea

all time draft 1901-2012

you can draft any player any team any year no restrictions except once a player has been drafted for one year he is taken off the board (for all other years)

BUT

the player on offense can not lead the league in MORE than one category of the following: BA HR RBI SLG % OB%

the pitcher can not lead the league in more than one category of the following: Wins, WHIP ERA K IP

etc.

thoughts?
    I am up for something like this. Nothing too hard. We need to get something going here.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    yet another idea

all time draft 1901-2012

BUT

etc.

thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    here is another idea

players limitations: a drafted player must have a minimum of 200 PA and a maximum of 400 PA and each position must total a minimum of 600 PA

starting pitchers must have a minimum of 162 IP and a maximum of 249 IP

relied pitchers must have a minimum of 50 IP and a maximum of 124 IP

just trying to mix up the same old same old

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    We haven't done a draft in so long, I almost forget how...

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    just had another "different" idea for a draft

all time draft league (+++)
    NO restrictions on who you can draft - you can draft multiple players off the same franchise or even the same year (+++)

BUT, whatever player(s) you do choose - the other guys in the league can eliminate 3 of your players best years

so you like Carl Yastrzemski - well the opposition can eliminate 1967 and 1970 as years eligible

you like Bob Gibson - sorry 1968 is a no go (almost for sure)

you like "one hit wonders" like 1961 Norm Cash - good luck getting that year approved

so in most cases you would be looking at a player's "4th" best year as the year you could use

how to implant the years eliminated is a work in progress but I think it can be done

thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    I'll join, although i'm really into fantasy basketball and hockey right now so I don't know how excited i'll be for a new draft.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Well, we're way past the holiday season now. Anybody interested in doing something new? I'm up for anything if we get enough interest. Gets boring when I can't come to this forum and contemplate my next selection.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X