• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are corner OF interchangeable?
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
      Are corner OF interchangeable?
      It's covered in my response (post #11). If it's not fair, I'm surely open to options.
      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

I'm in.

I have a couple quick things -

1. Can we have a little more pick flexibility? I wouldn't require more than 1 backup OFer (and maybe only 9 pitchers or 1 backup IFer). Also, if we pick someone who plays both IF and OF during the WS, can they cover both requirements? Or do I need a total of 4 backups at those positions?

2. Do we allow positional flexibility? I think a LFer should be able to play RF (and vice verse), and a CFer should be able to play LF or RF.

3. Using your example of Thome, if we pick him for 3B, do we vote for him based only on the years he played 3B? His whole career as if he'd always played 3B? His career as it really was, even though he usually wasn't at 3B?
        Last edited by Wade8813; 09-29-2012, 11:25 PM.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

One thing that's always bothered me about trading is getting league approval. I know it has to be done in online drafts where money is involved and people don't know each other and so that one player can't dump all the good players to another and invalidate the league - but I think here it's just for fun and we have all been in drafts together so I don't think anyone would take advantage of another. If someone was on the clock trying to make a trade by the time enough participants came online to aprove or reject the trade the time clock would expire. This could really slow down the draft and discourage trading.
          Last edited by John Shoemaker; 09-30-2012, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
            One thing that's always bothered me about trading is getting league approval. I know it has to be done in online drafts where money is involved and people don't know each other and so that one player can't dump all the good players to another and invalidate the league - but I think here it's just for fun and we have all been in drafts together so I don't think anyone would take advantage of another. If someone was on the clock trying to make a trade by the time enough participants came online to aprove or reject the trade the time clock would expire. This could really slow down the draft and discourage trading.
            agreed very good point
            1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
            2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
            3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
              Makes total sense to me and I agree. I simply laid it out that way because I felt people would be hesitant allowing trades whatsoever.

I think we're all adults here and can make proper decisions. We also have busy lives and most can't pop on at the drop of a hat simply to see if any trades are up for vote.

I'd have no problem at all with:

A) Eliminate trades altogether, or

B) Allow trades with no voting/approval process.

If I can, I'll put a poll up top and we can go with the majority and run from there.
              "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
                I'm in.

I have a couple quick things -

1. Can we have a little more pick flexibility? I wouldn't require more than 1 backup OFer (and maybe only 9 pitchers or 1 backup IFer). Also, if we pick someone who plays both IF and OF during the WS, can they cover both requirements? Or do I need a total of 4 backups at those positions?

2. Do we allow positional flexibility? I think a LFer should be able to play RF (and vice verse), and a CFer should be able to play LF or RF.

3. Using your example of Thome, if we pick him for 3B, do we vote for him based only on the years he played 3B? His whole career as if he'd always played 3B? His career as it really was, even though he usually wasn't at 3B?
                I'm going to try to answer all at once since they're a bit intertwined.

First, I modified Rule 1 to add a bit of flexibility. I don't want to go too overboard or it takes away from the challenge of the draft.

Second, I changed Rule 12 based on my post #15. I prefer to go single-season for each player as opposed to their careers for reasons I mentioned. That said, position flexibility will be based on what that player did during the year he's drafted. If he played more than one position for at least 16 games (10% of a full season) during that given year, he can be selected to fill any of them. For example, Eric Hinske in 2008 can play RF (49 games) & LF (40 games) but not 1B (11 games).

I think this adds enough general flexibility without hurting the integrity of the draft.

So, with your third point, Thome (or anybody else) will only be judged on what he did during that single season.

Make sense to everybody?

Also, it's not allowing me to add a poll for trades. So, unless people object, I'm going to allow trades without an approval process unless things get out of hand.

Please look over the original post in this thread. There have been multiple changes to the rules based on feedback and are noted in red.
                Last edited by Ben Grimm; 09-30-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I am color blind so changes in red dont help me
                  1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                  2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                  3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                    I am color blind so changes in red dont help me
                    Sorry wasn't aware.

Rules 1, 3, 12 & 13 have been modified. They're also notated with ** .

Comment

I have no problem with any of the rules. Let me know when we start (or send a PM to everyone)
                      "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Okay, we're up to 7 and I'm going to randomize. Anybody who wants to still join prior to start time (Monday, October 1 @ 7pm ET / 10pm PT) is welcome to do so and will be added to the end of the first round in order of joining.

I'll have a new Draft Thread made as well as a Team Roster Thread as soon as I put order together. I'll be sending out PMs as well to let everybody know.

Comment

We're all set.

Player selections should be made in the Official Draft Thread and you can enter your rosters in the Roster Thread.

Draft order is in first post of the Draft Thread.

Comment

Sounds good!

Just to clarify -

* If a player only played CF, he doesn't qualify at LF or RF?
                            * "World Series" losers before 1903 (which were only exhibition games) aren't allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
                              Sounds good!

Just to clarify -

* If a player only played CF, he doesn't qualify at LF or RF?
                              * "World Series" losers before 1903 (which were only exhibition games) aren't allowed?
                              Yes. It doesn't so much matter where he played during the WS - as long as he played at least 16 games in a position that given year. 1926's Babe Ruth was selected first. Matthew has the option to put him in LF or RF since he played at least 16 games during the season in each.

Correct. We're only using 1903-2011 WS for this.
                              Last edited by Ben Grimm; 09-30-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

1911?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X