Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    well there becomes a point when you can leveraged because the other members know you need a 2 for 1 trade to complete a 25 man roster and squeeze you

I was famous in 6th grade when we had a school softball league with 3 teams and we had to bid for players (yes back in 1970) and we knew each team needed x amount of players ... the teacher put his name on the list at the end so he would be the last player available

one guy filled his team then when the other player giot down to 1 player needed, I offered him 2 better players for one good player - he took the deal and called me a sucker then had no more roster room and I got the teacher (and the remaining players) for the minum amount - I had the three best players on my team, the guy I paid the most of anybody for (gladly), me and the teacher, we won the league easily

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Just so you know, you can absolutely do a 2-1... or even a 5-1 deal here.

You simply need to make those picks up later.

Say I give you my 6th round pick for your 9th and 12th round picks. You're now down one. BUT you can easily go later and offer up say a 14th for somebody's 17th & 20th or something like that. You can go unbalanced. But it's up to you to make sure you have 25 on your roster by year's end or else it's defaulted.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Well, we've had two official trades so far.

Do you guys like the option, don't like, or feel indifferent?

I like it myself because it's something I think baseball should allow during their draft process. It works well for other sports and in the real world, would give the have-nots' some leverage to play with.

I like it here because aggressive players may pay a tidy sum - though that hasn't happened yet with such a small sample size. It also works the other way for drafters looking to solidify depth.

It may be a nice option to have moving forward, though I wouldn't push it upon anybody who runs the next draft (whatever it will be) as that person should have full reign as to how he/she wants things to go. But so far, I haven't seen anything lopsided, and I also haven't seen anything that would have required a set of approvals in-league that can slow things down.

What do you guys think?
    We had a stratomatic league once and trades were allowed and encouraged. Just 4 guys and the 1977 season cards - we took a stock team of 20 players (I took the Reds, others were the Yankees, Phillies and Pirates) and then we drafted 7 players and "cut" 2. But having a draft for a 27 man roster allowed you to make 2 for 1 trades (I made several) and not have to worry about not having enough players. That is not the case here. I t is impossible to make a 2 for 1 trade without penalizing someone who could be a player short. Just food for thought, draft say a 27 man roster and allow guys to designate say 25 players for a particular series. Flexibility is a key.

JFY here is how I think the draft went (I was lucky enough to draft first and was paranoid about the Reds pitching) - it was a snake draft. It was also our first league and I probably would have drafted MUCH different after I got more experience.

R1 Rreds - Bruce Sutter
    Ri Phillies Rod Carew
    R1 Yankees Steve Garvey
    R1 Pirates Reggie SMith

R2 Pirates George Brett
    R2 Yankees Ellis Valentine*
    R2 Phillies - Jim Rice
    R2 Reds - Frank Tanana

R3 Reds Gary Lavelle
    R3 Phillies Carlton Fisk
    R3 Yankees Nolan Ryan
    R3 Pirates Ted Simmons

R4 Pirates JR Richard
    R4 Yankees Carl Yastrzemski
    R4 Phillies Jim Palmer
    R4 Reds Al Cowens

R5 Reds Tommy John
    R5 Phillies Lyman Bostock
    R5 Yankees ??
    R5 Pirates Garry Templeton

* Ellis Valentine was a new relatively unkown player and he had a monster card vs LH pitchers a lot of HR previously unseen in SOM plus a great fielder - 1 fielding and -5 arm, it was a stealth pick and we were shocked to see that card

dont remember all the rest (2 more picks each)

I ended up trading Pete Rose and Tommy John for Larry Christenson and Mike Schmidt in a STEAL!
    Also ended up with Reggie Jackson - the Yankees owner was pissed he wasnt hitting and traded him to me I think Griffey And Cowens for Jackson and Cedeno or something

If I was to do it over, I would either try to trade down for value and more picks OR would have gone for probably Reggie Smith or Rod Carew, problem was I already had a .300 hitting medium power left handed hitting 1B (Driessen) and I was not as smart as the Pirates manager who had Dave Parker for RF - but Smith was carded for RF and CF and although he was just a "3" (average) in CF, he had a
    -4 arm and the Piartes manager drafted him as his CF - very smart a switch hitter with good power and good OB%.

Me ending lineup was
    Cedeno CF
    Morgan 2B
    Jackson RF
    Foster LF
    Schmidt 3B
    Driessen 1B
    Bench C
    Concepcion SS

I think I flip flopped Bench and Driessen for LH pitchers - I had 5 "1's" on defense (excellent) 2B SS 3B CF C

I went 17-19 and tied for third we had a 1 game playoff which I won (vs Phillies) then I beat the Yankees (19-17) in the semis I think 3 games to 1 with 2 games going extra innings then I took a 2-0 lead in the WS over the Pirates (19-17) with Seaver and Tanana getting back to back shutouts, then we folded the league and started a Sports Illustrated Football league - swear to god.
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 10-06-2012, 01:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Well, we've had two official trades so far.

Do you guys like the option, don't like, or feel indifferent?

I like it myself because it's something I think baseball should allow during their draft process. It works well for other sports and in the real world, would give the have-nots' some leverage to play with.

I like it here because aggressive players may pay a tidy sum - though that hasn't happened yet with such a small sample size. It also works the other way for drafters looking to solidify depth.

It may be a nice option to have moving forward, though I wouldn't push it upon anybody who runs the next draft (whatever it will be) as that person should have full reign as to how he/she wants things to go. But so far, I haven't seen anything lopsided, and I also haven't seen anything that would have required a set of approvals in-league that can slow things down.

What do you guys think?

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Guys - don't forget to post your rosters on the Roster Thread.

Even if you don't feel like doing it right now, at least reserve a spot in the thread so they can all be towards the top.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Old timers' OF position eligibility:

This came up to me today and it was a question I had during the Athletics' draft. For outfielders prior to 1920 or so, the bottom of the BB-Ref's player page will often list those players simply as OF with no distinct designation.

What to do is this... Scan across to the far right side of the page and you'll see three numbers separated by hyphons. These are the fielding designations for players of the era working across the field LF-CF-RF. So if a player shows 65-0-42, that means he played 65 games in LF, no games in CF, and 42 games in RF.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    I'd rather keep this over here in the discussion/rules thread so as not to clutter the draft picks.

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    just curious as there is a difference in criteria for pitchers and hitters

hitters can play any position they played at least 16 games in during the REGULAR season

but pitchers can only start or relieve if they started or relieved in the world series

seems pitchers should have the ability to start or relieve if they did so in the regular season, just like hitters
    I think I see it now. It was likely due to Rule 1 stating that four starters actually started in the WS. Yeah, that should have been changed the same way as the hitters. As long as a pitcher threw a pitch (regardless as a starter or reliever), he's eligible to be selected and used which ever way works best for his given season.

I would aslo (or rather) like to see players chosen in the list of order taken
    I'm putting that into the Rosters Thread since it's not nearly as relevant to the direct draft as it is simply for rounding things out. But I will modify the one in the draft thread as we go to simplify searching.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Thanks for noticing. I think I've got it fixed now.
    I would also make separate listing for 1952 Dodgers
    and 1953 Dodgers

on your list of losers

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    your list of eligible teams is kinda messed up in the 1943-1947 range
    Thanks for noticing. I think I've got it fixed now.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    your list of eligible teams is kinda messed up in the 1943-1947 range

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    OOPS. Cripes and I haven't even had a beer today.

Leave a comment:

• Wade8813
    replied
    1911?

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
    Sounds good!

Just to clarify -

* If a player only played CF, he doesn't qualify at LF or RF?
    * "World Series" losers before 1903 (which were only exhibition games) aren't allowed?
    Yes. It doesn't so much matter where he played during the WS - as long as he played at least 16 games in a position that given year. 1926's Babe Ruth was selected first. Matthew has the option to put him in LF or RF since he played at least 16 games during the season in each.

Correct. We're only using 1903-2011 WS for this.
    Last edited by Ben Grimm; 09-30-2012, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wade8813
    replied
    Sounds good!

Just to clarify -

* If a player only played CF, he doesn't qualify at LF or RF?
    * "World Series" losers before 1903 (which were only exhibition games) aren't allowed?

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    We're all set.

Player selections should be made in the Official Draft Thread and you can enter your rosters in the Roster Thread.

Draft order is in first post of the Draft Thread.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X