Official thread: Stock team draft league with parameters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    I agree, But I suppose we may as well try something new. My biggest complaint is I don't know if I'll be able to call my teams SouthSide Hitmen 7 and 8
    sure you can
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by BigRon View Post
      There is a lot I like about this draft, including the way you've organized it. BUT, and this is a big but, there appears to be one major drawback, at least for me. This draft lacks the dynamic tension of most other drafts. Usually we are drafting players in a snake-thread fashion. We are competing directly with other owners for players; we can see their- and our own- rosters grow step by step; and we can see their strategies. That is really interesting to me. this format offers none of that. It's sort of like playing a round of golf and then, in the clubhouse, comparing your score with somebody who played in another foursome.

That said, I'm enjoying it- it just doesn't have the drama that other drafts do.
      thanks for the excellent feedback

I wanted to try something different than the same old first pick takes babe ruth draft. Here conceivably four or more Babe Ruths could have made the 8 team field.

I also wanted to have some preset team rather than building from scratch which is somewhat more realistic,
      plus the options of drafting players or "upgrading them". This comes from my strat-o-matic days where you loved the 1976 Reds, but one of my favorite players, Johnny Bench had a horrible season. Or the 1969 - 70 -71 Orioles where the 70 team had the best hitting, the 71 team had 4 20 game winners and the middle infielders had the best years of that 3 year run, or the 1969 team which was very well balanced.

Also I have vague memories of when I was a youngster and the Colt Leagues would have a tournament where the CHAMPION of each league (rather than an all star team) would be in the tournament, but they were allowed to add a handful of players from the rest of the league

I also was conscious of the stress around the Thanksgiving Holiday (travel, grocery shopping, Black Friday, etc.)
      Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 11-20-2012, 01:51 PM.
      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

• Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
        Guys I realize we are only part way done here but I am looking for honest objective feedback. This seems to me to be a quite different format than most of the drafts on here (usually picking an entire team from scratch).

Please let me know honest evaluation.

1) Do you like the format (stock teams with limited modifications)?

2) Each member gets TWO teams - which gives lots of flexibility and doesn't poison the draft with someone getting lucky with the first draft choice.

3) The adding of players PLUS the option of "upgrading" a player using only "1/2" a move

4) the timeline suggested in advance

5) the parameters enjoined for this draft (what years/teams are available, what years are eliminated after a year/team is chosen, usage criteria, etc.)

6) the way I have "run" it so far

7) anything else

Any comments, constructive criticism, suggestions, or other feedback is welcomed
        I like this format. As I mentioned when I signed up, it works well for someone like me whose job keeps him super-busy, since I can just build my roster when I have available time. If it were a typical draft, I probably wouldn't have been able to participate.

I think the concept is good too. I started tinkering with the 1959 White Sox' roster last night, and it's certainly a challenge to have only seven "moves" to make. I have sort of a tentative final roster, but I'm going to reexamine it before I submit it. There are several areas where that team could've been better, and I have to consider which ones would make the biggest difference. I've always been a fan of drafts with restrictions that add to the challenge. I still think it'd be fun to do one where each franchise could only be selected once.

I'd say you've done a fine job running it so far.
        Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

2) Each member gets TWO teams - which gives lots of flexibility and doesn't poison the draft with someone getting lucky with the first draft choice.

3) The adding of players PLUS the option of "upgrading" a player using only "1/2" a move

5) the parameters enjoined for this draft (what years/teams are available, what years are eliminated after a year/team is chosen, usage criteria, etc.)

7) anything else

Any comments, constructive criticism, suggestions, or other feedback is welcomed
          It was fun and interesting doing the research on the different teams like that - not only figuring out what teams were good, but if they had good players the year before/after, or if the league had good players. That said, it seems like this is the type of draft that lends itself more to being a one-shot. Once you've already done it, you've done the research and it doesn't work as well to repeat it (although if people had specific teams they wish they could have drafted, they might be up for another round).

Honestly, drafting 2 teams didn't really matter to me much. Rather than being a balancing factor, it's just two separate drafts, each of which can be balanced or unbalanced, since they're separate.

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
          Interesting. Out of the first 7 initial rosters entered, I think I'm the only one using a 14/11 hitter/pitcher split.
          Considering that my Yankees team only has 25 options, I'm kinda stuck with whatever they had. Doesn't matter much though.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
            I like this format. As I mentioned when I signed up, it works well for someone like me whose job keeps him super-busy, since I can just build my roster when I have available time. If it were a typical draft, I probably wouldn't have been able to participate.

I think the concept is good too. I started tinkering with the 1959 White Sox' roster last night, and it's certainly a challenge to have only seven "moves" to make. I have sort of a tentative final roster, but I'm going to reexamine it before I submit it. There are several areas where that team could've been better, and I have to consider which ones would make the biggest difference. I've always been a fan of drafts with restrictions that add to the challenge. I still think it'd be fun to do one where each franchise could only be selected once.

I'd say you've done a fine job running it so far.
            Thank you Ian

Comment

• Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
              It was fun and interesting doing the research on the different teams like that - not only figuring out what teams were good, but if they had good players the year before/after, or if the league had good players. That said, it seems like this is the type of draft that lends itself more to being a one-shot. Once you've already done it, you've done the research and it doesn't work as well to repeat it (although if people had specific teams they wish they could have drafted, they might be up for another round).

Honestly, drafting 2 teams didn't really matter to me much. Rather than being a balancing factor, it's just two separate drafts, each of which can be balanced or unbalanced, since they're separate.

Considering that my Yankees team only has 25 options, I'm kinda stuck with whatever they had. Doesn't matter much though.
              I don't understand this at all

IN a player draft, it is the same great players over and over and over, and even then there are limits (world series winners only, world series losers only) - not a lot of variety

in THIS draft, you could virtually draft any team any year, the possibilities are endless, now WHICH players you add or upgrade is limited, but ONLY for that one team you chose

which lends itself to new drafts with different teams/years

Comment

Guys I realize we are only part way done here but I am looking for honest objective feedback. This seems to me to be a quite different format than most of the drafts on here (usually picking an entire team from scratch).

Please let me know honest evaluation.

7) anything else

I'm really enjoying this draft. It provides a nice change from our usual player drafts. One thing I really like is that if you have a few players you really want - in a regular player draft once someone drafts one or two of your favorite players you have no chance to get them. In this draft you have many chances to get a favorite player or players because they are on many teams. You may not get a team with the players best year but there are a lot of good years for many players.

You had a great idea with this draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
                  I'm really enjoying this draft. It provides a nice change from our usual player drafts. One thing I really like is that if you have a few players you really want - in a regular player draft once someone drafts one or two of your favorite players you have no chance to get them. In this draft you have many chances to get a favorite player or players because they are on many teams. You may not get a team with the players best year but there are a lot of good years for many players.

You had a great idea with this draft.
                  thanl you Johnny SHoes ...

I saw a little frustration with the last draft (which happened to be the first draft I participated on here) mainly guys who got the first few picks were "lucky" and a lot of "darn I was hoping he would last another round or 2" .. so I said to myself how can we get the guys we want even if someone already has them on their team ... the trick is to not cut off your nose in spite of your face or (how many metaphors can I squeeze in here) not solve one problem but create two new ones

thx again for the feedback

Comment

• Suggested chronology (for review and updates)

THIS IS THE CURRENT CHRONOLOGY which should more or less be followed but also flexible:

XXX Saturday November 17 (3 PM east coast time) - last day/time to officially sign up for the league

XXX Saturday November 17 - randomizer selects who gets first choice of draft positions

XXX Saturday November 17 - choice of draft positions is held (should easily be done in one to 1.5 days)

XXX Sunday November 18 1 PM east coast time - drafting of teams for AL starts, I would suggest a 5 hour time limit on team/year drafts

XXX Monday November 19 - drafting of NL teams starts (may start sooner if AL draft finishes faster)

XXX Tuesday November 20 (midnite east coast time) - all teams/years for both leagues have been completed

WINDY CITY MISSING? Tuesday November 20 each player submits his ORIGINAL 25 man AL roster that will establish his base team. The "7" moves/changes will be made in relation to this base team

NEXT: Monday Nov 26 AL rosters finalized and submitted. (Submitted Monday Nov 26)

Tuesday November 27 each player submits his ORIGINAL 25 man NL roster that will establish his base team. The "7" moves/changes will be made in relation to this base team

Tuesday Nov 27 TO Saturday Dec 1 NL rosters finalized and submitted (submitted Saturday December 1)

Sun Dec 2nd to Mon Dec 3 - voting for AL

Tue Dec 4th to Wed Dec 5th - voting for NL

Thu Dec 6th to Fri Dec 7th- voting for WS
                    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 11-20-2012, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Friedns I have moved up the chronology a little bit (to start AFTER the holiday weekend)

the changes were made because:

1) we don't need to worry about a holiday and travel for the NL week like the AL week so I shortened the NL roster submission by a few days

2) everything else was either moved up accordingly or shortened by a day or 2 or BOTH because I was just informed that my new job (which starts Nov 30) will have me traveling from Dec 9 to Dec 14 so I want to have this wrapped up by then

I apologize for any inconvenience

see the post above for new dates

Comment

• Just a question - can we submit our final rosters prior to monday - I maybe out of town monday and don't want to miss the deadline.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
                          Just a question - can we submit our final rosters prior to monday - I maybe out of town monday and don't want to miss the deadline.
                          yes you can submit them ANYTIME up until Monday

Comment

thanl you Johnny SHoes ...

I saw a little frustration with the last draft (which happened to be the first draft I participated on here) mainly guys who got the first few picks were "lucky" and a lot of "darn I was hoping he would last another round or 2" .. so I said to myself how can we get the guys we want even if someone already has them on their team ... the trick is to not cut off your nose in spite of your face or (how many metaphors can I squeeze in here) not solve one problem but create two new ones

thx again for the feedback
                            I think the biggest reason this worked to prevent the first few picks from being lucky is that a LOT of participants decided to go with their favorite teams rather than the best teams. The same thing could happen in a 'normal' draft - if whoever went first decided to pick Ken Griffey Jr instead of Babe Ruth, suddenly it wouldn't matter that they had 1st pick.

Also, sometimes the frustration of losing your pick can be kinda fun. You wish you had gotten the player, but there was strategy to it, trying to pick up the nuances of what the other teams are thinking - and when your pick DOES fall to you, it can be absolutely thrilling. It's fun to do a draft that takes away that frustration, but I wouldn't want to get rid of it permanently.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
                              I think the biggest reason this worked to prevent the first few picks from being lucky is that a LOT of participants decided to go with their favorite teams rather than the best teams. The same thing could happen in a 'normal' draft - if whoever went first decided to pick Ken Griffey Jr instead of Babe Ruth, suddenly it wouldn't matter that they had 1st pick.

Also, sometimes the frustration of losing your pick can be kinda fun. You wish you had gotten the player, but there was strategy to it, trying to pick up the nuances of what the other teams are thinking - and when your pick DOES fall to you, it can be absolutely thrilling. It's fun to do a draft that takes away that frustration, but I wouldn't want to get rid of it permanently.
                              Yeah that really is a great feeling when you get the player you thought for sure would be picked.
                              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• CWS has requested a change of NL teams due to a shortage of players on his original pick the 1905 Giants

The request has been approved and he has changed to the 1925 Pittsburgh Pirates

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X