Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigRon
    • Jan 2009

Should we show ALL of our changes for a team at once? Or, can we show change 1 first, then a bit later changes 2 and 3, etc., until we have completed all our roster moves?

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
      The Natural
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
      Should we show ALL of our changes for a team at once? Or, can we show change 1 first, then a bit later changes 2 and 3, etc., until we have completed all our roster moves?
      either / or

as long as you LIST the moves like I suggested

examples
      1) drafted 1977 Joe Morgan
      2) upgraded Jim Lonborg to 1976 season
      etc

and also show the roster moves as suggested

then showing roster moves/cuts
      1) Morgan replaces Ollie Brown (?) on the roster
      etc
      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
        2005 World Series Champs
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
        either / or

as long as you LIST the moves like I suggested

examples
        1) drafted 1977 Joe Morgan
        2) upgraded Jim Lonborg to 1976 season
        etc

and also show the roster moves as suggested

then showing roster moves/cuts
        1) Morgan replaces Ollie Brown (?) on the roster
        etc
        If Ben Grimm cuts Ollie Brown i'm gonna be pissed.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
          The Natural
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
          you remember the old joke?

He was nicknamed "Downtown" Ollie Brown and some radio guy said "must have been a small downtown"
          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

• Ben Grimm
            Semi-lucid User
            • Jun 2012

Oooooo. Lets Trade!!! :hyper:
            "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
              2005 World Series Champs
              • Jun 2010

you remember the old joke?

He was nicknamed "Downtown" Ollie Brown and some radio guy said "must have been a small downtown"
              Lol no I never heard that one.

One last question and I know should check the rules but what about Jimmy Foxx, can he be my thirdbaseman? He was somewhat limited at third.
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                Semi-lucid User
                • Jun 2012

One last question and I know should check the rules but what about Jimmy Foxx, can he be my thirdbaseman? He was somewhat limited at third.
                Very liberal in position requirements:

A player on your team who played CF THE YEAR YOU ARE USING HIM, can play any OF position. Corner OF can play
                either corner OF position. In both tof the previous cases, a player must have played 3 games as a CF to qualify as a CF and 3 games as a RF/LF to qualify as a corner OF. Infielders must have played 3 games at the position you are using him for. Catchers must have played 1 game as a catcher. Any pitcher can be considered a reliever, but to qualify as a starter the pitcher must have started 3 games.

I'm adhering strictly to players in their natural positions, but that's just me. However, I do grade that way when voting. If somebody like Foxx does indeed play 3B, I downgrade your team's infield defense as it's one of the areas I include.
                "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                  The Natural
                  • Jan 2009

he has to only have played 3 games at 3B, then he is qualified to use all his PA at 3B

Comment

• BigRon
                    • Jan 2009

When we list our roster changes- either all at once for a team, or step by step- should we do it in our existing roster post, or should we each create a new "change" post for each team?

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                      The Natural
                      • Jan 2009

When we list our roster changes- either all at once for a team, or step by step- should we do it in our existing roster post, or should we each create a new "change" post for each team?
                      you can do it any time with a dealine of Monday Nov 26

it might be easier to list all your roster changes and then your finalized roster at once

(there is no need to go "in turn" one by one)

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                        Semi-lucid User
                        • Jun 2012

Hobbs mentioned to me to create a separate post for your modified roster, and within it, show which players were "upgraded", added and subtracted.

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                          Semi-lucid User
                          • Jun 2012

Interesting. Out of the first 7 initial rosters entered, I think I'm the only one using a 14/11 hitter/pitcher split.

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                            The Natural
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                            Interesting. Out of the first 7 initial rosters entered, I think I'm the only one using a 14/11 hitter/pitcher split.
                            but there is nothing preventing you drafting a position player and replacing a pitcher on your final roster

Comment

• BigRon
                              • Jan 2009

Guys I realize we are only part way done here but I am looking for honest objective feedback. This seems to me to be a quite different format than most of the drafts on here (usually picking an entire team from scratch).

Please let me know honest evaluation.

1) Do you like the format (stock teams with limited modifications)?

2) Each member gets TWO teams - which gives lots of flexibility and doesn't poison the draft with someone getting lucky with the first draft choice.

3) The adding of players PLUS the option of "upgrading" a player using only "1/2" a move

4) the timeline suggested in advance

5) the parameters enjoined for this draft (what years/teams are available, what years are eliminated after a year/team is chosen, usage criteria, etc.)

6) the way I have "run" it so far

7) anything else

Any comments, constructive criticism, suggestions, or other feedback is welcomed
                              There is a lot I like about this draft, including the way you've organized it. BUT, and this is a big but, there appears to be one major drawback, at least for me. This draft lacks the dynamic tension of most other drafts. Usually we are drafting players in a snake-thread fashion. We are competing directly with other owners for players; we can see their- and our own- rosters grow step by step; and we can see their strategies. That is really interesting to me. this format offers none of that. It's sort of like playing a round of golf and then, in the clubhouse, comparing your score with somebody who played in another foursome.

That said, I'm enjoying it- it just doesn't have the drama that other drafts do.

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                                2005 World Series Champs
                                • Jun 2010

There is a lot I like about this draft, including the way you've organized it. BUT, and this is a big but, there appears to be one major drawback, at least for me. This draft lacks the dynamic tension of most other drafts. Usually we are drafting players in a snake-thread fashion. We are competing directly with other owners for players; we can see their- and our own- rosters grow step by step; and we can see their strategies. That is really interesting to me. this format offers none of that. It's sort of like playing a round of golf and then, in the clubhouse, comparing your score with somebody who played in another foursome.

That said, I'm enjoying it- it just doesn't have the drama that other drafts do.
                                I agree, But I suppose we may as well try something new. My biggest complaint is I don't know if I'll be able to call my teams SouthSide Hitmen 7 and 8

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X