Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please put Hisle, Reed, Green, and Shamsky on my protected list (once Lew confirms it) and take out Stoneman and Dal Canton (I had two open spots)

Comment

Originally posted by -Kyle- View Post
      Gamblers trade their 2nd and 3rd Round pick this year to the Legends for Outfielder Art Shamsky and Secondbasemen Dick Green.

Please confirm, and the contracts are?

And jkc do you recall Hisle's and Reed's contract?
      Legends confirm this trade. Manager Gene Mauch was heard saying "I sure hope nothing happens to Morgan this season, or we could be sorry we traded Greenie away. I suspect one of the expansion teams might have taken him anyway, though..."
      You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

Originally posted by jkc32 View Post
        I sifted through all the expansion hitters yesterday and was quite surprised at some of the players available. There are definately some good players the expansion GMs can build around. I haven't checked out the available pitchers yet but figure there are some keepers in that bunch too.
        I agree, Joe. I was making a list to put up a post. Never got it finished, but if one of the new teams could cherry pick the top guys, it would be a pretty formidable team. There are a number of very good pitchers available as well. And then throw in a top free agent or two, and these teams could be at least competitive right away, and could contend in two or three seasons with judicious use of the rookie draft and/or trades.
        You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

Change In Protected List

Mark - The Legends will make a change in their protected list. Sorry!:blush:

I've decided to protect Amos Otis and leave Lindy McDaniel exposed in the expansion draft. If that's a problem, let me know.

Comment

--Changes may be made til midnight Monday.

Comment

Question about expansion-eligible players

I probably missed this somewhere in the rules so this may sound stupid....

I noticed there are several players who were drafted in 1961.
              Are all of these players "franchise players" or were they drafted before the free agency rule?
              In either case, what kind of contract are they signed to?

Comment

--Players drafted in 1961 were subject to different free agent rules, which granted free agency to one player per team in each of the first 6 years. Those who survived that period without gaining free agency are now basically subject to the old reserve clause. They are on year to year deals and you can keep them as long as you are willing to give them their 250K raise each season. The first player drafted by each team was designated the franchise player and are on lifetime deals at 12M per season. That tag does not follow them if traded (Billy Williams and Hank Aaron have been - only 7 franchise players remain from 61).

Comment

Change to Knight Protected List

--The Knights add veteran infielder Dick McAuliffe to their protected list. Pitcher Casey Cox is now available in the expansion draft.

--3 1/2 hours till the expansion prtoected/draft eligible lists are locked in.

Comment

--The Knights add veteran infielder Dick McAuliffe to their protected list. Pitcher Casey Cox is now available in the expansion draft.
                    Good move IMHO Mark. In my mind there is not much doubt he would've gone, although you have several very good players. Second base is a tough spot to get much offense out of, but Mac sure provides that. Did you think about it as much as I thought about Otis?

Now that he's pulled back, if I were an expansion owner looking at your list I think I know who I'd take based on all factors, but we'll see who ends up leaving.
                    Last edited by catcher24; 05-12-2008, 06:31 PM.

Comment

--Secondbase was going to be a reasonably easy spot to fill this year. A couple promising rookies, several free agents and enough exposed guys (well before Green and McAuliffe got pulled back anyway) that a trade with an expansion owner seemed very doable. With Mac missing half of the 69 season, never being quite the same player (although still good) after and moderately expensive I thought Cox was more valuable this year.
                      -- Maybe that was correct, but I just couldn't let a player who was both a real life favorite as a kid and a key player in the Knights dynasty slip away to an expansion team . I didn't really waver on the decison until yesterday though. As much as I didn't want to let sentiment play a role in my protected list in the end it ruled the day.

Comment

Everything looks good for the Gambla's.

Comment

The Brawlers trade all of their expansion picks to the Knights in return for $10 million and 10% of concessions. Hey, don't judge, I'm running a business here.

And Question. What was the least amount of money spent on a championship team? Give me double and I bet I could take the trophy. :atthepc
                          1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

1889 1890 1899 1900 1916 1920
                          1941 1947 1949 1952 1953 1956
                          1966 1974 1977 1978

1983 1985 1995 2004 2008 2009
                          2013 2014

1996 2006

Comment

--I don't think anybody has built a champion on the cheap. We haven't really kept year by year payroll records, but I think the winners have all spent at least 80 of the 100 million cap.

Comment

I know that my championship team in 1968 was the second largest payroll I've had to date - 92.5M. I won the division a couple of times with teams that had smaller payrolls. But even the lowest of my division winners' payrolls was the 1961 teams 82.75M.

Comment

--The Diablos PMed me a change to their protected list. ElHalo is giving up the HTD on Rose to protect Don Cardwell and Joe Hoerner, who is also a 63 draftee and headed for free agency, is replaced by Eddie Fisher.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X