X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leecemark
    replied
    --Your definition of decent is more charitable than mine. I can't imagine paying a million dollars (and then 1.25M) for a utility IF flirting with the Mendoza Line. My bet is Mac enjoys the All Star campaign in 1970 and wishes him good luck in his future endeavors.

Leave a comment:

• Sockeye
    replied
    Originally posted by leecemark View Post
    --Grabs was your man then JW? He only has one season where he is worth anything, but that is one terrific season.
    He's decent in 73 & 74 but in much less playing time.

Leave a comment:

• Sockeye
    replied
    Originally posted by mac195 View Post
    The Hard Cider select Billy "Grabs" Grabarkewitz, and we're starting to like the looks of our 1970 lineup.
    Another solid choice. Your drafting style is quite similar to mine. If not for Sizemore being available I would have seriously considered taking him with my last pick.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --The Redbirds select RHP Steve Renko.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --Grabs was your man then JW? He only has one season where he is worth anything, but that is one terrific season.
    --The Knights send their 1972 1st round pick to the Hard Cider for Bob Johnson.

Leave a comment:

• J W
    replied
    The Skipjacks are looking for a good shortstop for 1970 and are offering their #32 pick for him. PM me if you're interested.

Leave a comment:

• mac195
    replied
    The Hard Cider select Billy "Grabs" Grabarkewitz, and we're starting to like the looks of our 1970 lineup.

Leave a comment:

• Sockeye
    replied
    --The Knights select RHP Ron Klimkowski.
    The best remaining 1970 season among pitchers.

Leave a comment:

• Erik Bedard
    replied
    --I see 7 teams still needing a primary cacther. There are only 5 catchers not under contract with as many as 300 PA. One of those is still available in this draft, so if you are one of those 7 you might consider that as the talent starts to run thin. The other spot at which there is going to be a crunch is SP. Using 168 IP as the mimimum baseline for a SP I see 18 openings on our rosters. There are only 11 unsigned pitchers who achieve that mark. Two of which are still available in the draft. Of course its possible to fill those spots by switching out spare parts, but if you want a regular then you'll need to addrees that soon.
    --The other positions all have enough bodies to go around. In many cases they are no more than warm bodies, but some team let them play in real life. The joys of expansion:cap:.
    If anyone needs a catcher, I've got a full-timer for minimum wage in Johnny Edwards (and another in Johnny Bench, but you're not getting him). PM me if interested.

I've got three spots filled in my rotation, with Jim Perry (who is finally earning that 20.75M salary), Jim Maloney, and Mike McCormick (again, who finally earns that salary). If I can't get either of the top two starters available in free agency, I've got Stan Bahnsen, but I'd prefer not to use him. Mike Hedlund projects as my fifth starter right now, who will be on skip.

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    Originally posted by catcher24 View Post
    As I recall, his cap just sort of floated on top of all the hair!

Nice pick, Dude, and I'm really surprised Oscar lasted this long. He has one of the highest resign values of the players in this draft, I think, as well as some decent seasons the first six years.
    That's another reason I decided to go with Gamble, as I myself was a bit surprised he was still avaliable. I'm assuming it's because the other expansion teams are expecting to compete in 70, 71, 72, and I"m shooting for later.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    Positional shortages

--I see 7 teams still needing a primary cacther. There are only 5 catchers not under contract with as many as 300 PA. One of those is still available in this draft, so if you are one of those 7 you might consider that as the talent starts to run thin. The other spot at which there is going to be a crunch is SP. Using 168 IP as the mimimum baseline for a SP I see 18 openings on our rosters. There are only 11 unsigned pitchers who achieve that mark. Two of which are still available in the draft. Of course its possible to fill those spots by switching out spare parts, but if you want a regular then you'll need to addrees that soon.
    --The other positions all have enough bodies to go around. In many cases they are no more than warm bodies, but some team let them play in real life. The joys of expansion:cap:.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --The proposed deal between JW and I was a pretty small one and I won't hold up the draft awaiting confirmation. The Knights select RHP Ron Klimkowski.

Leave a comment:

• catcher24
    replied
    Originally posted by mac195 View Post
    LOL... love the hairdo, Oscar! How did he ever fit that under a baseball cap?
    As I recall, his cap just sort of floated on top of all the hair!

Nice pick, Dude, and I'm really surprised Oscar lasted this long. He has one of the highest resign values of the players in this draft, I think, as well as some decent seasons the first six years.

Leave a comment:

• mac195
    replied
    LOL... love the hairdo, Oscar! How did he ever fit that under a baseball cap?

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    This was another tough choice, but seeing as I pick again in 9 turns, a man can pray, can't he? Then again, Russell went right after my last pick, so all I'll do is shed a tear if the next guy I want goes right after this pick. In the end, it came down to much better resign value than the next guy, very good offensive production, and a left handed bat.

With the 28th overall pick in the 1969 Rookie Draft, the Athletic Club of Appletonia selects....

Oscar Gamble

In recent news from the AC front, manager Stan Musial declared that Appletonia will run an "afro policy", penalizing each player that doesn't don the signature fro, $100 dollars a week. Gamble's secret was quickly pilfered by his new teammates.
    Last edited by The Dude; 06-05-2008, 09:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X