This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leecemark View Post
    --I see 7 teams still needing a primary cacther. There are only 5 catchers not under contract with as many as 300 PA. One of those is still available in this draft, so if you are one of those 7 you might consider that as the talent starts to run thin. The other spot at which there is going to be a crunch is SP. Using 168 IP as the mimimum baseline for a SP I see 18 openings on our rosters. There are only 11 unsigned pitchers who achieve that mark. Two of which are still available in the draft. Of course its possible to fill those spots by switching out spare parts, but if you want a regular then you'll need to addrees that soon.
    --The other positions all have enough bodies to go around. In many cases they are no more than warm bodies, but some team let them play in real life. The joys of expansion:cap:.
    If anyone needs a catcher, I've got a full-timer for minimum wage in Johnny Edwards (and another in Johnny Bench, but you're not getting him). PM me if interested.

I've got three spots filled in my rotation, with Jim Perry (who is finally earning that 20.75M salary), Jim Maloney, and Mike McCormick (again, who finally earns that salary). If I can't get either of the top two starters available in free agency, I've got Stan Bahnsen, but I'd prefer not to use him. Mike Hedlund projects as my fifth starter right now, who will be on skip.

Comment

--The Knights select RHP Ron Klimkowski.
      The best remaining 1970 season among pitchers.
      My dream ballpark dimensions
      LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
      RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
      Location....San Diego

Comment

• The Hard Cider select Billy "Grabs" Grabarkewitz, and we're starting to like the looks of our 1970 lineup.
        "The numbers are what brought me here; as it appears they brought you."
        - Danielle Rousseau

Comment

• The Skipjacks are looking for a good shortstop for 1970 and are offering their #32 pick for him. PM me if you're interested.
          http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

• --Grabs was your man then JW? He only has one season where he is worth anything, but that is one terrific season.
            --The Knights send their 1972 1st round pick to the Hard Cider for Bob Johnson.

Comment

• --The Redbirds select RHP Steve Renko.

Comment

• Originally posted by mac195 View Post
                The Hard Cider select Billy "Grabs" Grabarkewitz, and we're starting to like the looks of our 1970 lineup.
                Another solid choice. Your drafting style is quite similar to mine. If not for Sizemore being available I would have seriously considered taking him with my last pick.
                Location....San Diego

Comment

--Grabs was your man then JW? He only has one season where he is worth anything, but that is one terrific season.
                  He's decent in 73 & 74 but in much less playing time.
                  Location....San Diego

Comment

• --Your definition of decent is more charitable than mine. I can't imagine paying a million dollars (and then 1.25M) for a utility IF flirting with the Mendoza Line. My bet is Mac enjoys the All Star campaign in 1970 and wishes him good luck in his future endeavors.

Comment

• --Anybody looking for pitching I'd be willing to part with Jim McGlothlin for the right price. Not sure what that might be, but I'm interested in hearing what you think he is worth. He delivers over 200 above average innings this year and next at a reasonable price. Draft picks are always welcome and I could use bullpen help for 70-71, an OF/DH type for the same years or a SP who comes up big in 71.

Comment

--Your definition of decent is more charitable than mine. I can't imagine paying a million dollars (and then 1.25M) for a utility IF flirting with the Mendoza Line. My bet is Mac enjoys the All Star campaign in 1970 and wishes him good luck in his future endeavors.
                        107 OBP+ in 1973
                        104 OBP+ in 1974

A utility IF that can get on base is always decent.
                        Location....San Diego

Comment

• Gamble

Originally posted by mac195 View Post
                          LOL... love the hairdo, Oscar! How did he ever fit that under a baseball cap?
                          He lives in Montgomery, Alabama....coached a couple of his kids including Sean who just got cut from the Pensacola Pelicans, an independent team.

Had a chance to get to know him a bit when I was working in independent minor league ball...he no longer has the hair..ha!

"I want all of you rookies to line up in alphabetical order by height." Casey Stengel

Comment

--Grabs was your man then JW? He only has one season where he is worth anything, but that is one terrific season.
                            --The Knights send their 1972 1st round pick to the Hard Cider for Bob Johnson.
                            WHOA, seems like a rather steep price to pay for Bob Johnson. Three good seasons. But I know you'll be in the championship race those three years so the price is worth it to you. I would've given Roger Nelson for that high a pick, but he only gives two good years - but that 1972 season he has is tremendous.
                            You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• Well, as I see it, there won't be any rookie draft this evening, so I won't plan on being here. The only pick left to make in the first two rounds is the Knights, who have my second rounder via trade. I presume the compensation pick for the Redbirds will be on the 8 hour clock, as will all of the remaining selections.

There were some nice picks that went late, and a couple of guys who went early that surprised me. I will finally get a pick (and very likely my only one) after six more selections, so please leave me someone with at least one decent season, huh guys?
                              You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• New Web Site Up

I've been working on the new web site and have basically stopped maintaining the old one to concentrate on the new one from here on out. I have all of what I think are the most important links up and working, and the Shoeless Joes team page will be done shortly. When the season starts, all of the links under the STATS heading in the left hand column will be fully functional, so those stats will be accessible. Also, although it will be quite a while before all of the individual team pages are finished, any team will be able to access their team stats by clicking on the STATS link on the main title bar, then choosing their team from the linked teams page (still under construction, but about 50% finished and will be done by the season start).

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in having a stat added that isn't there, PM me. Once a team's individual team page is done, the stats accessed from that location can be customized to the team if desired.

Hope this all works out OK, and I also hope that you guys will be a little patient while any bugs are worked out.

The new web site is located HERE

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X