This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a catcher and or 3B....so

...the Leafs are willing to move a pick, trade up, trade down, trade sideways....we have these picks:

11th

14th

17th

27th

I am open to suggestions if I can get a catcher (doesn't have to be a long-time star but not looking for a bullpen catcher either) and/or a third baseman.....I already have two of those.....open to offers....I have a lot of SP as well and I would love to shed some salary.

Joe / Birmingham Cloverleafs

"I want all of you rookies to line up in alphabetical order by height." Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by mac195 View Post
      We're going to take a guy who has zero value as a franchise player, but will be a big, cheap, left-handed bat in the middle of our lineups '71-'74.

The "Designated Hebrew" - Ron Blomberg

http://ronblomberg.com/merch_tshirt_lg.htm
      --Bloomberg may be the best hitter in this draft. You have to wonder why he didn't get more chance to play. That lack of playing time really lowered his value for me though. He is strictly a part timer even in his best seasons.

Comment

--I'll get my pick up shortly. I intended to take another pitcher, but a player I didn't expect to slip this far did and I need to reevaluate. Anybody who is online and wants to make an offer for this pick, I'm willing to trade down. Not very far down, but down.

Comment

--Oh well, I'm going to go ahead and shift my plans. The Knights take SS Toby Harrah. Harrah is the best offensive SS of the 70s and one fo the 5 players I would have been willing to franchise if I'd had the opportunity. Or maybe my scouts had just been hitting the bottle a little too hard when they were checking him out.
          --I'd still like to get a pitcher out of this draft and would be willing to trade by 1971 first rounder for a late first rounder in this draft or maybe even an early 2nd rounder.

Comment

--The Gamblers select RHP Gary Gentry.

Comment

--The Knights trade 1B/OF Rich Reese to the Thunder for their 3rd round pick in this draft. WCF please confirm.

Comment

I was talking to Kyle about Gentry. My #1 target going into the draft. My scouts think he can give a team one very good year and two solid ones, plus two more where he can be part of a major-league roster.

Comment

--Gentry is definately is most major league ready pitcher in the draft. He can contribute right out of the gate and gives his best 3 years (all a little above average with a good number of innings) in the first 3. He was 4th on my list, after Blue, Roberts and Drago.

Comment

He was my #3, after Blue and Roberts (who I assumed would be gone early). But I'm trying out a new, and somewhat unconventional scouting method (that involves throwing out ERA+ completely), which may not be accurate. Applying it to past results, though, indicates that it'll work. Plus, Gentry just had a 2.67 ERA in one of my DM Online leagues, fourth in the league (standard era) behind Greg Maddux, Cy Young, and Jose Mendez (he was actually leading the league up until September with an ERA around 1.60). If I had gotten him, I would have had no qualms about making him my ace for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark View Post
                      --Bloomberg may be the best hitter in this draft. You have to wonder why he didn't get more chance to play. That lack of playing time really lowered his value for me though. He is strictly a part timer even in his best seasons.
                      Bloomberg was someone I thought I'd have a legit shot at taking with my 2nd rd pick. He's a very good hitter and puts up 4 productive seasons from 71-74. Was surprised he went so early though due to his overall lack of playing time.
                      My dream ballpark dimensions
                      LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
                      RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
                      Location....San Diego

Comment

Originally posted by jterry619 View Post
                        ...the Leafs are willing to move a pick, trade up, trade down, trade sideways....we have these picks:

11th

14th

17th

27th

I am open to suggestions if I can get a catcher (doesn't have to be a long-time star but not looking for a bullpen catcher either) and/or a third baseman.....I already have two of those.....open to offers....I have a lot of SP as well and I would love to shed some salary.

Joe / Birmingham Cloverleafs
                        That 27th pick is the one you traded to me in the Osteen deal, isn't it?
                        "The numbers are what brought me here; as it appears they brought you."
                        - Danielle Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark View Post
                          --Gentry is definately is most major league ready pitcher in the draft. He can contribute right out of the gate and gives his best 3 years (all a little above average with a good number of innings) in the first 3. He was 4th on my list, after Blue, Roberts and Drago.
                          I had Gentry #2 on my pitchers list behind only Blue. He gives 4 very productive seasons from 69-71, 73. I thought for sure he was the player you would be taking with the #8 pick or the fact that he puts up 3 good seasons right from the start.
                          My dream ballpark dimensions
                          LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
                          RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
                          Location....San Diego

Comment

--If I needed a pitcher for this year then Gentry would have been higher on my draft list. As it is he would have been only a marginal improvement over what I have now, on a par with Roberts next year (when I did need at least one more starter) and not in the same ballpark in 71. 1971 is the last good year for several of my long time stars (notably Mays and Marichal) and the last year under team control for several more. I was pretty set on taking someone who could help with that one last run before I probably have to go into rebuild mode.

Comment

Thanks!!! I am home and can make my own picks now (4th round baby).

Comment

Thunder sure came up big....Munson and Drago, two of my top three picks. Can't believe Drago lasted so long, would not be a poor franchise option either.
                                1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

1889 1890 1899 1900 1916 1920
                                1941 1947 1949 1952 1953 1956
                                1966 1974 1977 1978

1983 1985 1995 2004 2008 2009
                                2013 2014

1996 2006

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X