Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I played hundreds of start-omatic games from 1963 right through to the early 1970s. have always been an avid baseball fan. I'm retired I'd follow the forum daily and take the game very seriously. My 4 favorite baseball books are The Glory Of their Times, A False Spring, Bill James' Historical Abstract, and Luke Salisbury's The Answer Is Baseball. My two favorite players of all time are Christy Mastthewson, former Bucknel Star, he of the screwball and grat memory (he used to put n checkers exhibitions when the Giants were on the road--would play a dozen blindfolded at the same time), Ted Williams, same birthday August 30th, but not same birth year, contrary to many of my fiends' firm opinion. Had a Southern Uncle who took me frequently to local NYY farm team games, saw Tom Tresh in 1959, Jim Bouton in 1960, 18 yr olds Curt Blefray and Roy Rhite along with 20 yr old Mel Stottlemyre in 1963. Naturally I followed all these guys closely in The Show. I was alway proud that the Blefray trade brought Mike Cuellar to those great Baltimore teams. I lived baseball in the 1960s and 1970s. Give me a shot: I'll be the most active team owner you have. I've played Roto for 26 consecutive seasons (founded 2 leagues, both are still going strong, and I was the Commissioner every season, but I've turned the page, left them and am looking for one more new challenge) finishing the last 4 seasons 2nd, 2nd, 1st, and 1st. What I'm most proud of is I didn't have a top 3 keeper roster going into any of those seasons. I'd love to play with you guys with the players of my youth. What a kick that would be.

Comment

• Well I am all for giving up one up my second team if you want to join.

Comment

• ckstone - I'm pretty sure you'll be hearing from Mark, our commissioner. We'd LOVE to get some new blood into this project. If Jason (Jaybird) is anxious to give up one of his teams, you're in luck too, because he has done a terrific job with the Hard Cider as interim owner and has them headed to the playoffs this year and set for a few more. That would be a great team - and historically a CKL powerhouse - to take over. I'm presuming here that Jason will want to keep the Iron, his original team.

Interestingly, two of you four favorite all time baseball books make my top list as well. There is, and IMHO never will be, any greater baseball book written than the Glory of Their Times. Often copied but never matched, Ritter's book is wonderful. I love Bill James' Historical Abstract, too. I read the original, then I got the New Historical Abstract when it came out and am going through that for the second time. I'd love to see James update it again, to see where he ranks some of the top players of today and those of the last thirteen years. I do own A False Spring, but have not yet read it. BTW, if you can find Voices From Cooperstown by Anthony J. Connor (might find it at Amazon) I think you'd enjoy it. Very similar to The Glory of Their Times, but all of the interviews are with HOFers. Not quite as well done as Ritter did it, but a very enjoyable read.

I also cut my baseball gaming teeth on Strat-O-Matic, and I think a lot of others here at bbf have as well. Enjoyed it tremendously, and have every team from 65 through 67 and all of the historical teams.

Hope to see you joining us. It can be very confusing the first time through the free agent auction, but once you get the hang of it, it isn't so difficult and it's very enjoyable.
        You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• --We've got a couple weeks left in the current season. Please use the time to read over the rules and follow along with how things run day to day in the CKL. Then if you still think its a good fit for you Jason could pass ownership over and you'd be ready to hit the ground running for the offseason activity. Thanks for your interest. It sounds like you be a great addition to our group. Feel free to ask questions here or in the season thread or send me a PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by leecemark View Post
            --We've got a couple weeks left in the current season. Please use the time to read over the rules and follow along with how things run day to day in the CKL. Then if you still think its a good fit for you Jason could pass ownership over and you'd be ready to hit the ground running for the offseason activity. Thanks for your interest. It sounds like you be a great addition to our group. Feel free to ask questions here or in the season thread or send me a PM.
            His credentials look better than mine and you let me in. :o
            Dan
            CKL - Maloy Boys
            P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X