Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Rookie Draft

Draft Lottery
    --The Boys hit the jackpot in the draft lottery, jumping up from 7th position to claim the top spot in the draft - and a golden opportunity for an elite franchise player. The Tyrants woefull season netted them 2nd position and also a chance to nail down a top franchise player. The Badgers held serve for 3rd position. The Iron dropped 2 places to 4th, but their sister club the Hard Cider jumped from 9th to 6th. Wedged in between are the Gamblers who held 5th position.
    --The Gold Sox moved up one spot from 7th to 8th. The Angels had the lottery's biggest slip, dropping from 4th to 8th. The Dust Bunnies slipped from 8th to 9th and the Legends get the 10th pick.

--Tie breaker for draft seeding is run differential (worse goes first)

1st Round
    1) Maloy Boys: Cal Ripken JR
    2) Windy City Tyrants: Ryne Sandberg
    3) Buppers Badgers: Chili Davis
    4) Milwakee Iron: Kent Hrbek
    5) Las Vegas Gamblers: Mike Witt
    6) Mac's Hard Cider: Jesse Barfield
    7) Iron from Gold Sox: Johnny Ray
    8) Legends from Angels: Von Hayes
    9) Angels from Dust Bunnies: Tom Neidenfuer
    10) Lew's Legends:Eric Show
    --------------------------
    11) Chautauqau County LumberJaxx: Bryn Smith
    12) Tyrants from Corsairs: Alejandro Pena
    13) Thunder from Beavers: Brett Butler
    14) Leecemark Knights: Steve Sax
    15) Angels from Skipjacks: Steve Bedrosian
    16) Iron from Thunder: Jody DAavis
    Second Round
    17) Tyrants: Bob Brenley
    18) Beavers from Iron: Tom Brunansky
    19) Badgers: Gary Gaetti
    20) Angels: Greg Harris
    21) Thunder from Gamblers: Bud Black
    22) Angels from Gold Sox: Ray Searage
    23) Boys: George Bell
    24) Thunder from Dust Bunnies: Atlee Hammacker
    25) Hard Cider: Dave Schmidt
    26) Jaxx: Dave Henderson
    27) Legends: Mike Marshall
    28) Tyrants from Corsairs: Ted Power
    29) Beavers: Luis DeLeon
    30) Legends from Knights: Mel Hall
    31) Skipjacks: Pat Tabler
    32) Boys from Thunder: Andy McGaffigan

Third Round
    33) Tyrants: Scott Fletcher
    34) Iron: Bob Stoddard
    35) Knights from Badgers: Dave Engle
    36) Angels: Reggie Patterson
    37) Angels from Gamblers: Bryan Clark
    38) Gold Sox: Tim Leary
    39) Skipjacks from Boys: Steve Balboni
    40) Angels from Dust Bunnies: Frank DiPino
    41) Hard Cider: Brook Jacoby
    42) Jaxx: Gene Nelson
    43) Thunder from Legends: Tom Gorman
    44) Legends from Corsairs: Luis Sanchez
    45) Beavers: David Green
    46) Gamblers from Knights: Terry Leach
    47) Angels from Skipjacks: Juan Agosto
    48) Angels from Thunder: Tom Brennan

Fourth Round
    49) Tyrants: Dave Rucker
    50) Angels from Iron: Kevin Hickey
    51) Angels from Badgers: Jerry Reed
    52) Angels: Brad Havens
    53) Angels from Gamblers: Angel Moreno
    54) Angels from Gold Sox: Len Whitehouse
    55) Angels from Boys: Steve Fireovid
    56) Angels from Dust Bunnies: Alan Wiggins
    57) Angels from Hard Cider: Ron Roenicke
    58) Jaxx: Chris Bando
    59) Legends: Juan Bonilla
    60) Angels from Corsairs: Gene Roof
    61) Beavers: Wayne Tolleson
    62) Iron from Knights: Daniel Boone
    63) Skipjacks
    64) Legends from Thunder

Supplemental Picks
    65) Iron from Dust Bunnies:
    66) Iron from Knights:
    Last edited by leecemark; 07-01-2012, 09:43 PM.

--This looks like a pretty strong draft class based on my earlier scouting. Not that it will matter much to me. The Corsairs have no picks in this draft. The Knights have their first rounder and thats it for them.

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark View Post
      --This looks like a pretty strong draft class based on my earlier scouting. Not that it will matter much to me. The Corsairs have no picks in this draft. The Knights have their first rounder and thats it for them.
      A good time to have 16 draft picks!! *rubbing hands together*
      My dream ballpark dimensions
      LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
      RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
      Location....San Diego

Comment

Guess the Legends didn't get lucky again this year. Too bad. But at least we do have a couple of extra picks.
        You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

The Tyrants have 6 of the first 36 picks, so they'll be able to continue to reload the farm system. The Thunder on the other hand have only one pick, the 43rd overall pick.
          "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
          - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
          - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Comment

I finally took a quick look at the rookies last night - better late than never, I guess. Some really huge names out there. It will be interesting to see who Dan takes: Ripken, Gwynn or Boggs - or maybe a total surprise. Of those three, Gwynn would probably be my pick - although Ripken really shines for those first ten full seasons, and plays a more difficult position. Wonder how his glove rates over that time frame? He's excellent and very good for the three seasons I have ratings for him, and he does take the gold glove in 91, so he's definitely got to be in the mix as well. have to consider Boggs, too, as he probably has the best bat over the first ten years. Seasons with 130 OPS+ over the first ten full ones: Ripken, 3; Gwynn, 4; Boggs, 7. Gwynn is by far the best AFTER 1991; using seasons of 120 OPS+ after 1991: Ripken, 1 (partial in 1999); Gwynn, 9; Boggs, 1.

You have a tough choice to make Dan , but I wish I had the same problem. I also wish these three guys had been on the table when the Legends lucked into the second pick last year. I would gladly have taken any of them over Fernando Valenzuela. And of course, there are other guys out there that had a terrific five to ten year run, too. I think any first round pick will land a top notch player for at least a half dozen seasons. Surprisingly, no really top notch pitchers in this draft though.
            You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

I think you've somehow combined 81 and 82. Ripken debuts in 81, but Boggs and Gwynn debut in 82.
              "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
              - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
              - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Comment

--Yeah, I thought maybe I'd really missed big time in overlooking Gwynn and Boggs. They would have elevated this draft from good to best since 67. Ripken is a pretty easy #1 for me, but 2nd pick is pretty darn good too - especially for a guy from the Windy City. It would be a tougher choice at number 3 for me, but I see 2 guys who would be really strong choices there. And I haven't even started scouting pitchers yet. Might be that the top of my draft board will need some adjusting. Of course, for me its the 14th best player who is of real interest. There are 10 position players I'd be happy with at that spot. Hoping there will be at least 4 pitchers worthy of a first rounder as well. Particularly since that is the only pick I have in the whole draft.

Comment

I don't know how I did that. Did a sort at bb-ref, and got some years mixed up. Without those two, Ripken is the easy number one pick. I still don't recall seeing any pitchers though who would go really high, but I could have messed that up as well. Taking another quick look, guys like Bud Black, Steve Bedrosian, Eric Show, Mike Witt and similar pitchers are about the best.

Comment

With the soon to be signing of SS Cal Ripken, I will be looking to trade Dickie Thon. Thon doesn't play much in 1981 but is full time in 1982 and 1983. If I remember right his OPS+ those seasons are 110 and 127. Of course I could keep him as backup for the iron man but that might be a waste so I'll move him in the right situation. I'd like a 2nd rounder or a similar player peaking after 1981. I could use position players at C, 1B and 2B or starting pitching.
                    Dan
                    CKL - Maloy Boys
                    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Comment

Clear some inbox space so I can send you a PM!

Comment

I know why the Angels took the biggest drop in the lottery - the Legends own that pick!:hissyfit: I had forgotten all about it until I started putting together my draft list, saw that I owned that pick, and then thought "didn't the Angels take the biggest drop in the lottery?". Sure enough. I did get lucky in last year's draft, but other than that the lottery positioning hasn't been particularly kind to the Legends.

That being said, having two of the first ten picks in this draft is not a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bedard View Post
                          Clear some inbox space so I can send you a PM!
                          I didn't realize there was a max. I have room now.
                          Dan
                          CKL - Maloy Boys
                          P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Comment

I believe the Iron have dropped in every lottery and never moved up.

Comment

I know the draft doesn't begin until Friday but if I don't think there is any doubt who the first pick will be. Should I start the draft process now or wait until Friday?
                              Dan
                              CKL - Maloy Boys
                              P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X