Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catcher24
    replied
    Incidentally, with the season now wrapped up I'll be working on updating the individual team pages, so if you get a chance and feel like it please post your batter/pitcher of the year. I'll make the picks for anyone who doesn't want to.

Leave a comment:

• dust bunnies
    replied
    For anyone wishing to plan way, way ahead, Steve Carlton ($14.00M, FA 83) will be on the trading block. I will post this again as soon as the Off-Season Thread is up.

Jack

Leave a comment:

• dust bunnies
    replied
    I shall return with the Dust Bunnies.

Jack

Leave a comment:

• buppers
    replied
    Only timing issue for me wou;d be Saturday nights. Should have no issues otherwise.
    Congrats Jason !!!

Ed

Leave a comment:

• scubadan
    replied
    Two great seasons Jason and congrats to my division mates in bringing home the title.

Enough of that... ... now on to 1983.

I'll be back with the Maloy Boys and hoping to contend. In case I forget to do it later, I will name Rickey Henderson as my 70's franchise player beginning with the 1983 season. Buddy Bell and Dwight Evans become free agents this season so we'll have some holes to fill in the lineup. Bell is HTD eligible but Evans is not so decisions will need to be made there. Blyleven returns to the mound in 1983 in what looks to be a strong group of starters but the bullpen will need some shoring up.

When does spring training start?

Leave a comment:

• jaybird_1981
    replied
    A lot of people could be chosen for the MVP including Bo Diaz and Jim Dwyer but I will go with a split vote of Bob Stoddard/Joaquin Andujar who both won 2 games in the series with sub 2.00 ERAs.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --A few landmark achievements this season. Most noteworthy, of course, was Fergie Jenkins becoming our first 300 game winner. Thats 37 ahead of Gaylord Perry (whi has no hope of getting there) and 38 ahead of former teammate Tom Seaver (who has a chance, although not one I'd bet on). Steve Carlton and Tommy John joined the 200 win club, Carlton with a career losing record and John dead even at 203-203. Goose Gossage and Rollie Fingers became the first 2 200 save men.
    --Reggie Jackson was the man making most of the career milestone news on the batting side. He became our 3rd 500 HR man, our 4th 1000 EXH man and our first 2,000 K man.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --Its going to be full scale rebuilding for the Corsairs this year, with an eye to being competitve again in 1984 when it will be the Knights turn to rebuild. For next season hoping to put together a contender for Steve Rogers last good year. 27 wins to get to 200 and he will need most of them in 83 to make it. We do have some key players hitting free agency (and not looking to resign them), but we've got a solid core and will have some money to spend on the holes.

Leave a comment:

• catcher24
    replied
    Originally posted by leecemark View Post
    --I'll get the offseason thread and schedule up in a week or so. We had some absentee owners down the strech so I'd really like a roll call of owners (hopefully all) who plan on sticking with us next season. Also, if you have any times you are going to be unavailble in the next few weeks please let me no so I can try and avoid scheduling any time critical portions of the offseason activity at those times. Thanks
    I'll be returning with the Legends and the Lumberjaxx. This will be Fergie's swan song season. I hope we can put enough offense in the lineup to help him gain a few more wins. Lots of free agents for the Legends though and it'll be tough to decide who to keep by spending big bucks and who to let go. The Jaxx will be looking to improve on what was a rather miserable 1982 season.

Leave a comment:

• catcher24
    replied
    Congrats to the IRON on their first championship. Jason's waited a long time for this. The Iron have been very competitive almost every year and it's nice to see them gain their first championship. Great job Jason!

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --I'll get the offseason thread and schedule up in a week or so. We had some absentee owners down the strech so I'd really like a roll call of owners (hopefully all) who plan on sticking with us next season. Also, if you have any times you are going to be unavailble in the next few weeks please let me no so I can try and avoid scheduling any time critical portions of the offseason activity at those times. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    Diamond Classic: Hard Cider at Iron; game 6 (and 7?)

Game 6: Beattie vs Stoddard
    --The Hard Cider went up 1-0 in the top of the first on Evans blast into the RF bleachers. The Iron responded in a big way in the bottom of the inning. Bochte and Guerrero singled and Dwyer put one in the seats to make it 3-1 Iron.
    --Milwakee never looked back from there, adding 2 in the third, 2 more in the 4th and rounded out the scoring with one in the 6th. Meanwhile, Stoddard was crusing to a 6 hit complete game for an 8-1 win. Congrats to the Iron on their first championship! Jason please select your MVP.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    Game 3: Eckersley vs Bannister
    --The Hard Cider came out swining in the 1st. Mumphrey and Herr singled and Upshaw got the scoring started with a 3 run HR. They never looked back from there, scoring 13 runs on 17 huts while the Cider pitchers combined for a 4 man 4 hit shutout (Bannister left in 3rd after a 50 minute rain delay). Herr had 4 hits and 3 runs, Murphy had 3 hits, 4 RBI and 3 runs and Upshaw one upped them with 3 hits, including 2 HR, for 7 RBI and 3 runs.

Game 4: Palmer vs Neikro
    --The Iron bats got back in business in the 1st. Boggs homered. Bochte tripled and Dwyer sac fly made it 2-0. The Cider got one back in the bottom of the inning . Mumphrey doubled and came around on a sac bunt and a sac fly.
    --They tied it up in the 5th on singles by Law, Mumphrey, Herr and Evans. The Iron reclaimed the lead in the 7th on singles by Diaz, Hrbek and Ray. The Hard Cider sent it to extras in the bottom of the 9th on Law's triple and Mumphrey's sac fly.
    --Mac's won the game and tied the series in the 11th. Hebner wored a walk and Mumphrey went deep for a 4-2 win.

Game 5: Anjuhar vs Soto
    --The Cider went up 1-0 in the first on a solo shot by Mumphrey and made it 2-0 in the second on a blast ny Cey.
    --The Iron got going in the 3rd. Boggs walked and Guerrero tripled. Cey booted Dwyer grounder to tie it. Aikens singled and Hrbek doubled make it 4-2 Iron.
    --The pitchers settled down from there, both going the distance with no further scoring. Series heads back to Milwakee with the Iron needing to win 1 of 2 for their first title.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    Diamond Classic; Games 1-2: Hard Cider at Iron

Game 1: Soto vs Andujar
    --The Iron scored in the 1st on singles by Boggs and Bochte and Guerrero's sac fly. The inning continued when Aikens reached on an error and Milwakee capitalized in a big way when Diaz went yard to make it 4-0. They made it 5-0 in the 3rd on singles by Dwyer and Aikens and a double by Diaz that sent Soto to the showers.
    --The Hard Cider started to claw back in the 6th. The Iron opened the door when errors by Ray and Boggs put a couple men on. Herr's single got Mac's on the board. Murphy's singled cut the lead to 5-3. They cut the lead to one in the 7th on singles by Cey and Hebner and Law's ground out.
    --The Iron responded in a big way, exploding for 5 runs in the 8th, with Dwyer's HR provided the bulk of the damage. That put the game away as the Iron won going away 10-4.

Game 2: Beattie vs Stoddard
    --The HC took the lead in the top of the 1st. Mumphrey singled, Herr was HBP and Evans reached on a dropped fly ball by Bochte. The Iron came right back in the bottom of the inning when Guerrero singled, Dwyer walked and Aikens singled.
    --They traded runs again in the 3rd. The HC went up on Evans HR. The Iron answered when Dwyer walked and Diaz and Hrbek singled.
    --The Iron pulled away in the 4th. Ray singled, stole 2nd and went to 3rd on Pena's throwing error. Boggs singled him home. Bochte signled and Dwyer walked to load the bases. Diaz singled scored 2, making it 5-2. Ray homered in the 5th to run the lead to 6-3.
    --The Hard Cider got one back in the 6th, but that was all they could manage. The series heads to New York with the Iron halfway to their first championship.

Leave a comment:

• jaybird_1981
    replied
    Well either way it will be my first title so I can't complain.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X